Budweiser Pulls slogan accused of "Promoting Rape culture"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191053 by
I'll be the jerk here and say that I think the reaction is completely overblown and no apology is necessary. Here's why I feel this way.

1. The quote reads "The perfect beer for removing ‘no’ from your vocabulary for the night." Clearly this implies that if you choose to drink it (you don't have to), you might not want to say 'no' (which is also a HUGE leap) for the night (not forever). It does not imply that drinking a Bud Light will prevent other people from saying no.

2. The connection being made between 'saying no' and 'saying no to rape' is being made by a specific group of people who have now brought it to the attention of a much wider audience. In effect, they have now put this connotation into the minds of people where it may not have been otherwise. The bottle doesn't say 'no does not mean no'. They have twisted the message to make it seem that it does.

3. It is ADVERTISING, people! If you sincerely believe that drinking a Bud Light will make it impossible for you to say 'no' to a rapist, you've got much bigger issues you should be dealing with.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 11 months ago #191061 by RyuJin
anyone that actually does what they read on a label is a moron for not thinking for themselves....it's about taking personal responsibility for your actions, not looking for someone or something else to pin the blame on....

they over reacted....but that's how society is today....everyone over reacts and no one takes personal responsibility any more...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191069 by

RyuJin wrote: anyone that actually does what they read on a label is a moron for not thinking for themselves....it's about taking personal responsibility for your actions, not looking for someone or something else to pin the blame on....

If someone is behaving or justifying something based on some silly label then yes they are a moron, but it isn't the moron who will get raped...

More
8 years 11 months ago #191080 by Locksley

Senan wrote: If you sincerely believe that drinking a Bud Light will make it impossible for you to say 'no' to a rapist, you've got much bigger issues you should be dealing with.

There is much I could say about how so-called 'overreacting' is actually a really good thing. How people getting angry about people reacting to issues like this says a lot more about them than it does the people reacting to the issue. I really wanted to write a couple-thousand word essay and leave it here - but I don't feel like it would actually be looked at and thought about, merely reacted to. Besides, this whole topic boils my blood, so it's probably better that I don't. As it is, hours after I saw this posted, I still don't think I've calmed down enough about it to present a clear and even-tempered case - which would only give detractors and their ilk more to laugh at and condemn for what they believe is "too much". But I'm just going to pick at this one point briefly, because damn.

The issue is this: If you have had any intoxicants in your system, you are not fit to make clear and cogent decisions, even (hah, especially), when you think that you actually are. Next, when you do make a decision while intoxicated by a substance, that decision is not being made clearly, and therefore consent cannot be given. It's literally as simple as that.

But here's the really fun issue...

If you take advantage of someone who is intoxicated, that's rape. It's not their fault because they got drunk. It's your fault for raping them. They could be naked, passed out, and the hottest person you've ever seen, and they could be next to a sign that says "rape me" and, you know what, it's still rape.

And just because someone says "no" doesn't mean that a rapist isn't going to rape them anyway. ESPECIALLY if either party is inebriated.

And that's the real kicker - the rapist might be the one who is intoxicated, or they both might be intoxicated. Either way, unless the ability to give prior un-intoxicated consent exists and was taken advantage of by both parties beforehand - it is rape.

Is this seriously the best type of discussion we can muster here? Is this seriously the best we have to offer when a subject of very real, immediate, and extremely serious preparations walks in the door? Half-baked suggestions that "it's all just being blown out of proportion"? I've seen better discussions in the comments section of Youtube videos.

I am disgusted.

And oh, look, I let loose a little rant.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

More
8 years 11 months ago #191091 by Adder
They walked into that one!!! No is like the most basic of 'safewords' in existence, and ignoring safety protocols is stupid. The slogan doesn't 'promote' rape though. Does it promote rape culture, I guess it depends on peoples definition of that, but it does promote a culture where the main effort to stop rape is to enforce the power of the word No, so to me it does promote rape culture inadvertently, but I doubt it was the intention of the slogan. Alcohol producers would really not want to associate closer to being a causative agent to sexual assault, so they should have been smarter on this and avoided it IMO.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191095 by OB1Shinobi
i thought the safety word was "banana"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOVq81k4Y_U

in any event, safe words are important

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-2dN9E8vPk

sorry Jestor
now i feel like i should have posted a link to the "Split off - Linking offsite versus Quoting" topic

i think budweiser meant no harm but i also think the wording wasnt very good and they made the right choice to drop the ad

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191155 by

Locksley wrote: Either way, unless the ability to give prior un-intoxicated consent exists and was taken advantage of by both parties beforehand - it is rape.

Well that can't be right, otherwise every person who has ever been to a pub or a club, male and female, has raped anyone they've hooked up with. Giving clear consent when you're intoxicated isn't rape, it's just sometimes a very bad decision when you wake up next morning! :P

More
8 years 11 months ago #191158 by steamboat28

Locksley wrote: There is much I could say about how so-called 'overreacting' is actually a really good thing.

It almost never is. The thing about overreacting is that over part. It's a reaction that is above and beyond the amount that is logically called for; it means that you have chosen a path of excess because you're unable to reign in your emotions long enough to make a logical, coherent decision about how a topic should be handled. Emotions impair our judgement as much as intoxicants, and an overreaction (however good-hearted it may seem) is allowing them to rule your conscious mind rather than taking control of yourself. Overreaction is a sin of ignorance, excess, and a lack of control.

The issue is this: If you have had any intoxicants in your system, you are not fit to make clear and cogent decisions, even (hah, especially), when you think that you actually are.

Some of us might disagree with you. Everyone is different. Everyone handles intoxicants differently. Everyone makes decisions differently. Everyone bases those decisions in different logical paths of reasoning. I'm here to tell you that I've gotten blackout drunk a few times in my life, and of all the things I've been told or remember about those occasions (rare as I'd like them to be, because I hate that state), I've not done or said anything I wouldn't have done or said sober, given the appropriate stimulus. Granted, I am not most people, and everyone (as said before) works differently, but I know that until I get to the point where I cannot stand, I'm coherent enough to make big boy decisions. Even if they're bad ones. And I have made some very, very bad ones. That would not stop calling me.

If you take advantage of someone who is intoxicated, that's rape. It's not their fault because they got drunk. It's your fault for raping them. They could be naked, passed out, and the hottest person you've ever seen, and they could be next to a sign that says "rape me" and, you know what, it's still rape.

This greatly depends on the definition of rape we're choosing to use.

Despite the questionable nature of some of these definitions (and the outright lunacy of the last two), the modern age has seen a consistent redefining of what constitutes rape, but the major commonality is (obviously) consent.

So the question becomes what consent is valid? Is my consent valid if:
  • I am intoxicated, but still capable of making decisions?
  • I am sober, but having a rough emotional period that renders me incapable of making good choices?
  • I agree wholeheartedly, but feel bad afterward?
  • My mental illness is cockblocking me, no matter how much I'd enjoy the act?
  • Have willingly put myself, intentionally, into a position where my mind won't get in its own way when trying to find a partner?

That last one gets touchy. I know people who honestly can't flirt their way into a Kroger unless they've had a couple of shots. I know a lot of people that drink for "liquid courage" to ask out that guy or girl on the dance floor they've been eyeing all night. I know a lot of people who have been so brainwashed by religion and conservative moral values that they really, really want a nice, wild, one-night stand more than anything, but can't bring themselves to do so sober because their culturally-ingrained shame is just too great.

I was told I live in a "barbaric" area about a decade ago. A woman from out-of-town said she'd heard of a lot of drunked trysts that ended with sober women saying, essentially, "well, I deserved that." Her mainline stance was that any intoxication rendered one incapable of valid consent. The truth is, around here, everybody's been drinking since they were old enough to reach the liquor cabinet. I don't know anybody who doesn't have a Bacon Number of 3 or less to a moonshiner. We know what we're like when we drink. We know how much we can drink before we start making bad decisions, and we know it's still a few shots of PGA away from making bad decisions we'll actually regret. If I'm drinking in a public space, my level of intoxication and my toehold on sobriety are solely my concerns. If I ignore those concerns, it is willing. If I drink enough that I become an asshole, or I become a Casanova, or I become a pool shark or the lead singer in a Journey cover band, it's on purpose. Because, otherwise, I'd call Jimmy Dale down the road and have him deliver me some mason jars and drink the eff at home.

It's not like that everywhere. White people can't hold their liquor in big cities, I'm told. That's fine. In general, intoxicated people shouldn't be making decisions. But then again, in general, people shouldn't be intoxicated around strangers who might not respect their decisions, either.

If someone has sex with you without your consent, that's rape.
If someone has sex with you and you withdraw consent during the act, and they continue, that's rape.

I just have a very, very hard time believing that if you consent to having your ability to consent impaired, consent to doing so in a public space, and then give consent for sex while intoxicated, that none of the responsibility for that is on your shoulders at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191164 by
I recently have attended both an alcohol awareness seminar and a sexual assault prevention seminar for one of my organizations at school. What I can say from those is, that, in the end, no means no, and Budweiser saying that their beer will eliminate the word "no" from your night can and will be misinterpreted by a lot of people.

First off, Budweiser's advertising campaign is, in my opinion, a horrible mistake. There was not a lot of forethought about it before the green light was given. This campaign, while interpreted differently by each person or party, can, and has already to a degree, backfire on them because of the changing world's views and more profound sensitivity. In this day and age, people are much more sensitive to what others say, hence the Social Justice movement and new anti-something campaigns popping up left and right.

On top of this profound sensitivity also comes more rage from people involved. It is easier to get people riled up about things by saying, "the people doing this are bad, but we are good, so join our cause and get angry with us!" This mob mentality that has arisin with the Internet Age has caused many problems with obstruction of justice, rioting, false criminal charges to individuals, and vigilantism as more people try to take the law into their own hands or attempt to manipulate the law against others for their own gain. Examples of such would be:

- False rape allegations towards an individual because "they didn't like the person".
- Rioting and looting actions taking away from peaceful protests' messages.
- Untrained individuals trying to be heroes in situations that are already under control by the proper authorities or by someone who was trained to deal with those kinds of situations.
Etc.

I believe that Budweiser's advertising campaign not only promotes rape culture (however blindly they do it), but can, and most likely will, be used as ammunition by people within certain mob-mentality groups.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191168 by

Humble wrote: First off, Budweiser's advertising campaign is, in my opinion, a horrible mistake. There was not a lot of forethought about it before the green light was given. This campaign, while interpreted differently by each person or party, can, and has already to a degree, backfire on them because of the changing world's views and more profound sensitivity. In this day and age, people are much more sensitive to what others say, hence the Social Justice movement and new anti-something campaigns popping up left and right.

And therein lies the problem I have with this reaction. This 'profound sensitivity' is not only unnecessary, it is harmful. We are removing any personal responsibility by creating Boogie Men to blame everything on. Couldn't it also logically be said that "yes means yes"? If you were drunk when you said it, that started with a "yes" to having a drink to begin with. Rather than blaming the advertising or the alcohol, why not take some personal responsibility and choose not to drink in the first place?

And are we to forget that this is the same ad campaign that included a guy running through a life-sized Pac Man game, Don Cheadle in an elevator with a Llama, and a random ping pong game against Arnold Schwarzenegger? Are we to believe that drinking a Bud Light will result in these events as well? Were these ads also a 'horrible mistake'? It's all about the context.

BEWARE: Profanity and jokes that will likely make some people uncomfortable:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Consider the CONTEXT of the message on the bottle before you make such a leap to judgement. It does not say "no" means "up for whatever". It is a flawed interpretation and a hypersensitive reaction by some people who have thrust this meaning onto it. Dos Equis would have you believe that drinking their beer will make you the most interesting man in the world. Do you actually believe that? Context is key.

Rape prevention is not in the context of this ad campaign, and forcing this issue into the context of this ad campaign is wrong. Nobody likes words being put into their mouths by the self-righteous. Bud Light knows exactly what they meant when they printed the statement, and it should be understood that way within the context of the ad campaign and nothing else.

Nobody here is advocating for rape as an acceptable behavior or the promotion of it. If you believe this bottle message is, consider why you feel that way. Is it because you had that reaction to it? Or is it because someone else suggested that you should? Are you really concerned that this bottle message will result in more rape, or are you mad at Budweiser for making a tasteless joke? Is it just another example of the Mob Mentality you suggested? These are important questions to ask when determining what you believe the appropriate response should be.

EDIT: "You" where it appears in this response is not directed at Humble or anyone in particular, but "you" the reader
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by . Reason: Not directed at anyone in particular

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi