Budweiser Pulls slogan accused of "Promoting Rape culture"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191010 by
Budweiser appologizes for new slogan that "promotes rape culture."

I came across this today and wanted everyone's opinions. Did Bud cross the line or are people overreacting?

Warning: Spoiler!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #191014 by Kit
I think it's a little bit of people overreacting and a little bit of bad campaigning lol. Alcohol has been known as liquid courage for a while, I'm sure that's all they mean by "removing 'no'" but in all our Sexual Assault Prevention briefings we're repeatedly told that alcohol is used to facilitate rape and "No means no". I'm sure folks are just connecting dots that weren't intended to be connected. But the guys behind the advertisement should have seen it coming!
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191016 by
It says more about the mindset of some recipients than it does Budweiser's intentions. "Removing no from your vocabulary for the night" is pretty open to interpretation, so if you want to view in a sexual context it can be done but it can also mean "Calem, wanna use this trash can lid as a sleigh down this steep hill in sub-zero temperatures?" "Hell yeah!"
(there are multiple reasons why I don't drink anymore, this being just one)
But in the end I feel that Budweisergate here is a bit hysterical.

More
8 years 11 months ago #191017 by Breeze el Tierno
I don't imagine it was an active or conscious promotion of Rape Culture, but when I read it, I thought, "Yikes... that does sound kinda' rapey." :blink:

This is why we let other people edit our work from time to time. :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 11 months ago #191020 by Locksley
Rape culture is a very big problem in the world, so no, I don't think it's at all wrong that this campaign was noticed and taken down. People react, whether they know it or admit it, to social cues - especially those pressed upon them through their preferred media choices. Messages like this can very easily sink in where they don't belong, especially if other contributing factors already exist in that person's life.

Is it a small-time issue as a single article? Certainly. But it's an unfortunate part of a much larger system of social norms.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191022 by
I doubt it was intended to promote rape culture, but it reeks of the dude-bro mentality. For all the "drink responsibly" campaigning done, it seems to promote irresponsible drinking rather than rape, but it can be (and obviously has been) interpreted to mean "drink our beverage and ignore any no's you get". This one should've been filtered out of the good idea pile, imo.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
8 years 11 months ago #191027 by Brenna
Personally, I dont think it promotes or even references rape culture, though I can certainly understand why people might feel that way.

I do feel that its irresponsible in that it encourages the idea that you need to drink in order to have fun, be confident or have a good night. But then, all alcohol campaigns do that, and I dislike the "alcohol culture".

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, , rugadd, , Breeze el Tierno, , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191033 by

Brenna wrote: I do feel that its irresponsible in that it encourages the idea that you need to drink in order to have fun, be confident or have a good night. But then, all alcohol campaigns do that, and I dislike the "alcohol culture".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1E5ZO8Lug

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191036 by OB1Shinobi

Akkarin wrote:

Brenna wrote: I do feel that its irresponsible in that it encourages the idea that you need to drink in order to have fun, be confident or have a good night. But then, all alcohol campaigns do that, and I dislike the "alcohol culture".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1E5ZO8Lug

thats hillarious because its true "please drink responsibly" lol and the connection between sex is funny also because while its true that everyone loosens up a bit with a couple drinks in them, as a general rule, the drunker a man gets the less women want to be around him, which the commercials dont really make too clear do they? lol "use our product and look like a jerk!"

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 11 months ago #191046 by steamboat28
People will always find exactly what they're looking for. If they're looking to be upset, everything will look like a good reason. This is a heinous overreaction to a questionable (at best) choice of phrasing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , , Kit, , OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi