Jedi and "Drugs"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190632 by
Replied by on topic Jedi and "Drugs"
Akkarin- I knew about the heavy users of Marijuana have the effects but I meant casual users or "weekend warriors". Everything in moderation:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190645 by
I think Buddha shows how addiction to ones path can be just as likely to kill.

Hopefully, like him, people hit enlightenment first as well.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.%2fhFh1aW0h7XpseZv8Vpmsg&pid=15.1&P=0

There are also people addicted to food.

Others have died by ingesting to much water.

People have died by playing too much WOW.

Too much Sex.

Etc, etc.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

More
8 years 11 months ago #190647 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Jedi and "Drugs"
My guidelines:

1) Are you using it illegally?
2) Will I get addicted to it easily?
3) Will it impair my judgement?
4) Even if it does impair my judgement, is it necessary?

I stop when I say "yes". The third one is more about when to stop. The 4th one only applies to something I would need to take medically.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
8 years 11 months ago #190666 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Jedi and "Drugs"
Legality doesn't factor into the discussion for me, since the reasons why some substances are legal and other illegal are often purely political in nature. Especially since, as has been already pointed out, harsh criminal penalties are not actually very effective at keeping drugs off the street. All they really do is fill up the prison system with small-time drug users, generating capital for the prison industry itself. There's a few pretty solid reasons why the political and corporate powers don't want the discussion of decriminalization and treatment in the place of incarceration raised - it doesn't make money.

My philosophy professor phrased it like this once: Do you equate morality with legality?

Marijuana's effects are certainly no worse than any of the other numerous drugs available - truth is that even now there's still too few high caliber studies out to have a real grasp of what it does, but for every study that currently explores a potential risk factor, there's another one which explores some beneficial aspect. Right now I'm inclined to say that for the minimal (and only potential) risks of marijuana use are more than acceptable in most circumstances, considering that the positive qualities are readily noticeable in people's daily lives. Perhaps that argument doesn't stack up perfectly, but as the age-old quibbling goes: I'd rather hang out with someone who's just stoned than someone who's drinking. The issue of addiction to marijuana is also moot on the physical end - as far as I know, no reliable studies have shown it to be any more physically addictive than any other naturally consumed drug. Mentally addictive - yes, but that goes for just about anything you can think of as well, not just illegal substances.

Personally I'm also fine with use of most psychedelics, if used with caution and discrimination - in other words, not to 'party it hard'. These can be powerful tools to help explore reality and the 'pipework of the mind', and if someone feels the need to use them to try and figure out their lives or explore something locked away, more power to 'em. That said, I've seen a lot of people who have burned out to various degrees due to drug use - usually when it becomes an attempt to escape or patch some aspect of the users life. Used continuously as a crutch you're going to run into a problem - with just about any substance.

In the end I think that the best way to handle drug use is to explore all in relevant information on it (critical and positive), figure out why you want to do it (and don't do it until you can give yourself an honest answer), and be aware of how much you rely upon it. Hopefully though the system changes so that overuse and addiction to drugs can be treated as a health issue and not a criminal one - I think that's the only real way we're going to see the issue finally looked at and dealt with in a way that creates long lasting and effective change for the better.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. B)

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190671 by
Well, in general you should avoid any intoxicant of the mind, as they take you away from mindfulness and cloud your mind. This includes alcohol, marijuana... but doesn't include caffeine, for instance, or any other drug that improves alertness.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190694 by

Alethea Thompson wrote: 3) Will it impair my judgement?

Does it always impair? Or does it expand?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190711 by

joseaplaza wrote: Well, in general you should avoid any intoxicant of the mind, as they take you away from mindfulness and cloud your mind. This includes alcohol, marijuana... but doesn't include caffeine, for instance, or any other drug that improves alertness.

Stimulants, would still effect mindfulness.

See people on speed or meth...Plenty alert, not a lot of mindfulness.

I could argue as much with caffeine.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/06/e0/ad/06e0ad9db60b79ff17992174010bf924.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190738 by
Locksley-You took the words right out of my mouth! I agree on every single point you made.
Akkarin- Thats some deep stuff right there haha but also a very good question.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190743 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Jedi and "Drugs"

Khaos wrote:

joseaplaza wrote: Well, in general you should avoid any intoxicant of the mind, as they take you away from mindfulness and cloud your mind. This includes alcohol, marijuana... but doesn't include caffeine, for instance, or any other drug that improves alertness.

Stimulants, would still effect mindfulness.

See people on speed or meth...Plenty alert, not a lot of mindfulness.

I could argue as much with caffeine.

Taking certain 'drugs' can also have other indirect effects... when I gave up caffeine I discovered that the caffeine 'need' was making me tired in the mornings.. I was more mindful after caffeine than when I was on it. Very short term caffeine might make you more awake.. but long term it can have the opposite effect.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190750 by
Lol, I wouldnt know, I havent done without coffee in.....a very long time.

I do keep it to one large cup, as I have found myself wanting more.

Still, thats where self control comes in, and that would extend to anything you do, or put in your body.

I find it funny when someone says they will have chamomile tea to help them sleep, but chafe at putting other things in there body to cause an altered state.

Or the people who meditate to the point they have visions at will.

There is a story of a man who ran up to the Buddha one day andd exclaimed "Master! After ten years of meditation I have gained the ability to walk on the water!" To which the Buddha replied "The ferry is only five cents."

There is also the tremendous historical and present relationships with humans and plants, not only for the spiritual, but the medicinal that seems to get forgotten.

Just remember that when you get penicillin, or any cillin.

Most shamans do not just dole out psychedelics left and right.

There is much more to it than that.

It is not a shortcut.

Shamans have to put in hours of training, meditation, etc,etc, before being able to work with the plants.

Still, it seems people will hold fast to the opposite, despite the evidence.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi