TotJO Programming Thread

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #174733 by
Replied by on topic Charity Coding
Dear Den.
For newcomers and gamers i can handle that, (i was once a middle man in a group of 20 persons), and about gamers we have some options available (for example @Arcade ).
But about the team-manager i don't have a clue. I guess we will need someone with huge experience in Git/Github to organize the stream/activity. :)

I am still thinking about it. :)
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174757 by
@SeventhSL, do you posses xp to become project manager of group? You are the most experienced in industrial programming in this thread.

I guess, that will mean:

* creating and managering repo @ github
* being a BDFL ("Benevolent Dictator For Life") of repo projects
* having a supreme voice in Meritocracy of the group
* that doesn't mean you'll get all the routine - all that's not a crucial decision may & should be delegated

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #174766 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Charity Coding

den385 wrote: We need a Knight. @Adder, will you vouch for this group to Council? No one else here can.

Anyone can contact Council but I'm happy to serve as liaison if we can nut out some foundations. Having a 'group' here also is an option but the thread here works well for sounding and aggregation.

den385 wrote: As for a project manager, who has the experience? I don't.

I've always thought the best project manager was whoever was lead programmer/designer of the project, but that could just be me revealing my strictly amateur experience
:blush:

Any project ideas yet? I've been planning in my mind for a few months a training visualization program but it was never intended for a timely development/release as it was going to be a solo learning project.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174799 by
More than willing to chip in Den. Even if it just until someone with dedicated project management puts their hand up.

That said I'm off to New Zealand soon and won't be back until early February. Going hiking and mountain climbing so will be afk for January.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #174800 by
Ok, things starts to work out, it seems.

As for ideas - yes, I have some. ) Been stashing 'em for some time.

1) Right now I'm, as I said, making a 'pet project' for myself - I call it 'quotjo', a place to reflect on quotes. It's LAMP-stack with python, django and mezzanine as CMS. I am more of studying and playing with django at current days, for it's quite a big powerful framework.

Some other ideas:

2) 'mepod', a media reflection/mediatation site where you can construct your personal 'Place of Peace' with videos, pictures, words, music. Without it now use a combination of diary, quote sites, totjo Doctrine & Sermons, vk.com (ru suocial network) music & video capabiities, vimeo & youtube for video source, noisli.com for nature sounds, amazon highlights, and pinterest for pictures. Not everything at once and not even every day, but having a 'mepod', a personal savepoint at internet, a visualization of your center - that I think mb helpful.

3) totjo bugfixes - e.g., when site loads, some elements of menu ('Forum') are missing

4) 'atomdeep'. a project to get my experience with depression in action. I though of smart Q&A site about depression and stuff - working like stackoverflow.com.

5) 'metajo'='meta jedi order'. I've seen some site which is told to be "gathering place for all the Jedi from different orders". I didn't register. Why? It was all to fantasy - dark.... with mystic art on sides of text... serious.... very serious.... No, thank you. I think, it might be helpful to create a Jedi Index or Jedi Register - essentially a single page site with links to all the Jedi things active. It should be updated by someone knowledgeable or by trusted users.

6) and I have 3 little games in mind

7) also, when we prove ourselves and fix some temple, we may be as mighty as try to powerfully upgrade temple. Redesign stuff is always subjective, but I think may be integration of a full-power social-network can help, and simple mobile apps to work with it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #174802 by
If this is going to run, i wish, (if possible) these things:
1)approval from the counsil
2)github organisation (otherwise just repositories)
3)Group in the community and...
4)to keep the discussion open about gamers. I wish to get involved with the gamers part.

let me leave few cents more:
1)The site is using jomsocial, and Joomla forum and i believe that the chat is act of coding without any ready Joomla module. All project is running on Joomla cms.
2)The jomsocial team, (as i heard), are not so fancy to see their code in github repositories. It is possible for me to find improvements for jomsocial. I believe i can help a lot with the improvements of the joomla part of the site.
The web developer who builded the site has made awesome job.
3)It is possible for mobile app but is tricky, (we have forum and that make things difficult)
4)@Adder the job of group-manager is, (as i believe), to share wisely the projects and to handle the traffic.

I apologize for my verbalism. :)
MtFbwY.
Robert.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 4 months ago #174814 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Charity Coding
jomsocial is gpl.

if totjo were to ditch existing oss distros for something far more customized (which is unlikely, for support reasons), then I'd say forget about the old ways and go for something like node.js running behind a reverse proxy and cloudflare. That would certainly diminish the power requirements and make things significantly faster.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #174824 by
@ren - Thank you for info on Joomla & jomsocial. I think we need a permanent group 1st: multiple ideas were voiced with temple upgrade being just one of them.

@SeventhSL - I think until early Feb we'll be just ready for something concrete.

@Adder - What do we need to have a group concretely? A project with details? A list of members?

I myself am occupied until at least mid February, cause I'll be going through job interviews and then (hopefully) adapting to new technologies for some time. Can visit thread time-to-time, not much more. :( I am very much interested in this whole idea, but for me it came a little early.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #174828 by
This is my last addition to this converstation.
I will not get involved to the planning of this group/event.
if i see that it is a open repository or group for this i will get involved as coder by contributive way.
Good luck and happy holidays and i will see you in the repositories. :)

(i step back and from the Gamers involvement idea)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174843 by
I am not ready to lead the initiative now. Maybe someday I will.

And no one seems to be ready to take the lead now.

I conclude: we shall wait until someone can. Until then, I withdraw.

I think, we shall wait and see. It's not the time yet.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi