TotJO Programming Thread

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #178048 by
Replied by on topic TotJO Programming Thread
I like this idea as it does pertain to the IT field which I am currently going to school for. Will have to look over the description of your project tomorrow, when my laptop battery isn't on the shortside of 50%. :whistle:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #178133 by
If someone wants to join my project, I heartily welcome.

If you have no experience with python or django, I can recomend super-cool and totally not-boring and quite fast ways to get acquainted with them to the point that you can do some real job done.

Just PM me when you feel ready. No need for hurry.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #178144 by
I think it would be great to create a group @ github from totjo. Anyone interested may add me @ github and then we'll figure out a way to coop.

I think, we can even have a shared totjo repo, when we'll hopefully start doing something )

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #182908 by
Guys, I have a question:

How do you connect Jedi Way to Programming?

After all, software is very much technical, rational. Jedi Way is mostly emotional and spiritual. Don't you feel like you're not using the part that is best in you?

I feel that software development is right occupation for me, but I can't explain myself why exactly. I can't bring Jedi Way and Programming to play together. Can not feel their synergy. And I know that when you're on right way, everything becomes synergistic.

I certainly need to read "PeopleWare" and "Psychology of computer programming" by Weinberg.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #182909 by
*Shrugs* It is my own personal opinion that your Job does not equal your Path/Way of life. Nor does it have to have a resembalnce. It is just a job. It gets you money, clothes, food, a house, utilities, car, education....Not spiritual awakening. A Job is just a means to an end....If you happen to like and enjoy it on the way. Than Great! Makes life easier on you :woohoo:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #182912 by
By my opinion, programming is not just a module to something else, but a way of life full of content and life experiences.
Please notice that i do not have anything else to add to the conversation. Those were my 2 cents :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #182915 by
Yeah, but I feel that it's dull to waste so much time doing something that I don't totally believe in. We just have one life. It will be a stupid investment of time and effort to not use what's best in me.

I'm first of all a Jedi. I can not shrug away the drive to make my life meaningful. I am going with the flow of the Force, not the flow of day-to-day life.

And so, I clearly have to answer this question sooner or later: why is my career choice correct? I feel it is, yet I don't understand why.

As of 'module', you're right. But I see it like two dimensions of a single life which I cannot harmonize. I am 1st of all a Jedi, only then a programmer. I love it, but in ideal world I would be just a Jedi with some technical skills in my arsenal. I feel out of balance when 90% of my time at work are technical. I have a freaking humanitarian skills too. Wanna bring 'em into play - the sooner the better.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

More
9 years 1 month ago #182920 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic TotJO Programming Thread
I see little conflict at all, to be honest.

The Code clearly promotes soberness over emotionality in the first and third line. The fourth arguably, too, advocates for a rational decision making mechanism in the face of all the disturbances around and within us while the final line offers strength in the face of agony. The second line also promotes knowledge over ignorance and we happen to know that the highly emotional or spiritual is not quite the way leading to any actual knowledge, or that at least it cannot hope to compete with rational inquiry in that regard. Reason over instinct, far from in conflict, is in my view, if anything, not merely compatible with, rather also among the central tenets of Jediism.

Of course I can see on the horizon some Jedi arguing the very opposite, though I respectfully have trouble spinning it the way they do. My point is, if the core Jedi teachings were designed to suggest one and one type of way only, most of us wouldn't be here. It is thanks to the wiggle room and the fact that you can spin it your way that you are struggling with doing so in the first place. If there was no way to reconcile Jediism with your career choices, you'd have dropped one or the other already.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #182925 by
There is the Code and there are interpretations: mine differs from yours. I don't read code as "emotion, yet rationality". I read it "emotion, yet peace [between emotional and rational]".

Otherwise, it would contradict with a metaphor of Luke turning off the targeting device (ratio) and calming down (emotion) to follow his intuition and get this one-out-of-a-million shot in episode IV. I don't credit Franchise references much, commonly, but this one has made it into John Campbell's "The Power of Myth" which was lesson one on IP for me.

More
9 years 1 month ago #182930 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic TotJO Programming Thread
I don't read the Code as "emotion yet rationality" either. It sounds like a haphazard attempt to shrink five verses into one that represents none of the former five. I wouldn't even know what it'd mean.

The targeting computer was a part of the system, so to speak. It wasn't so much an assistant as it was a part of Vader's mask, if you will. It was not a symbol of reason. If anything, it was distracting Luke, holding him back and throwing him into stress. That stress is the negative emotion, the bit that needed to be cast aside, along with the machine, to pull the trigger freely, guided only by his own power, guided only by the Force. One might argue that he was to trust his instincts over the calculations of the machine (and given the rest of the movie's symbology, it must be emphasized that it was indeed a machine), but it was in no way an advocation of emotion over soberness. Quite the opposite.

Also, the first explicit appearance of the Jedi Code came some fourteen years after the movie was released and remains to this day part of the Expanded Universe. In A New Hope (or later on for that matter) Luke was never explicitly trained by any version of the Code we know, so I'd say it'd be asking too much if we expect concordance there.

All that being said, feel free to make it harder for yourself and to struggle to reconcile two things that need not be in conflict to begin with. I'm saying there is no reason to do so unless you seek an excuse to abandon one in favour of the other.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi