The Death Penalty As Applied

More
9 years 5 months ago #170803 by Br. John
Should the race of the victim and the race of the defendant be a determining factor in the DP?

Execution information accurate as of November 19, 2014 following an execution in Missouri.

Persons Executed for Interracial Murders in the U.S. Since 1976

White Defendant / Black Victim (31)

Black Defendant / White Victim (290)

Attachment h1814eb7.png not found

Founder of The Order
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago #170804 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic The Death Penalty As Applied

Br. John wrote: Should the race of the victim and the race of the defendant be a determining factor in the DP?

No.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan

More
9 years 5 months ago #170805 by steamboat28

Brenna wrote:

Br. John wrote: Should the race of the victim and the race of the defendant be a determining factor in the DP?

No.

I agree completely. Especially when white people be crazy. I've never once read a story about a serial killer or a domestic terrorist (without ties to a larger organization) that wasn't white, and if anything deserves the death penalty it's that sort of crime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170807 by
Replied by on topic The Death Penalty As Applied
I am opposed to the death penalty, but I find any argument for the death penalty being mute against the fact that even with all the precautions in place people are still wrongfully executed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution

Even if you support the death penalty, I do not think one should support the state's ability to carry out the death penalty with due consideration and discernment...

More
9 years 5 months ago #170810 by Br. John
Should the city or location the crime occurred in be a factor in determining the Death Penalty? All other facts being the same, should it matter if the murder was in Houston or Santa Fe?

Founder of The Order

More
9 years 5 months ago #170813 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic The Death Penalty As Applied
Generally, no, but what if you're comparing the same crime in two cities, in two separate states? Then of course jurisdiction would come into play as not all states in the union support the death penalty...

All facts aside, I'm not sure why it should matter, but tell that to the people who live in Houston or Santa Fe...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

More
9 years 5 months ago #170814 by steamboat28

Br. John wrote: Should the city or location the crime occurred in be a factor in determining the Death Penalty? All other facts being the same, should it matter if the murder was in Houston or Santa Fe?

If the laws in Houston and Santa Fe are the same, if the level of police competence is the same, if the crime is the same, and if the trials are the same, then the punishment seems like it should be the same. But that is so rarely the case.

More
9 years 5 months ago #170817 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The Death Penalty As Applied
Heck no, either way, racism or affirmative action. Is there any other reason!?

Obviously the data does not prove either of those things, as it could just reflect the nature of crimal activity itself - better data might be the percentage comparison between DP and total IR murder convictions of each group (unless all murders get the DP in which case I guess it would be the same result!)?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

More
9 years 5 months ago #170824 by SilverWolf
It is my personal belief, that the death penalty should only apply in two circumstances: If the individual ( regardless of age, sex, race, personal religous beliefs,) is a guarunteed Danger to society if let out. Examples: Charles Manson, ( although now dead people with the same mindset as John Wayne Gacy) People who if they let them out, they would automatically go to the nearest town and kill for pure fun. I also believe that if a person for instance was cruel enough to break into a home, stab each member of the family 26 time each and then rape their dead bodies.( yes, there are people out there that sick) then yes, they should die. Other than that, I do not believe in the death penality. In a perfect world, we would be able to do something similar to the movie "demolition man" and cyrogenically freeze our offenders and try to rebilitate them. Another Idea is to give them to our military to use as soldiers, so if they die anyway, they die fighting on their feet trying to make a difference. However, these are just random ideas, and nothing will probably come anything of them. However, IF I WAS GIVEN THE DEATH PENALITY, I would snatch up the chance to make my last moments on earth to MEAN SOMETHING and I would want to die on my feet fighting for a honorable purpose. It may not erase or forgive what I did to get me the death penality, but at least "I" would know I did "Something" honorable in my last moments.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago #170825 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic The Death Penalty As Applied

SilverWolf wrote: Examples: Charles Manson

And yet Manson is alive and well and got married a couple days ago

http://itheedread.jezebel.com/lessons-on-love-and-marriage-from-charles-manson-and-hi-1661146600

Enjoying a "right" denied some good law abiding people all over the place.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi