The Death Penalty As Applied

More
9 years 4 months ago #170832 by SilverWolf
I'm not sure which is more scary and disturbing, the fact he got married or this : "Though Manson didn't file the request for the wedding license until this month, there is already a wedding registry set up for Charles Manson and Star Manson at Bed Bath & Beyond."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 4 months ago #170834 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic The Death Penalty As Applied

SilverWolf wrote: I'm not sure which is more scary and disturbing, the fact he got married or this : "Though Manson didn't file the request for the wedding license until this month, there is already a wedding registry set up for Charles Manson and Star Manson at Bed Bath & Beyond."

Justice right.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170852 by
Replied by on topic The Death Penalty As Applied

Brenna wrote:

SilverWolf wrote: Examples: Charles Manson

And yet Manson is alive and well and got married a couple days ago

That is so so so wrong.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170853 by

Br. John wrote: Should the race of the victim and the race of the defendant be a determining factor in the DP?

Execution information accurate as of November 19, 2014 following an execution in Missouri.

Persons Executed for Interracial Murders in the U.S. Since 1976

White Defendant / Black Victim (31)

Black Defendant / White Victim (290)

Attachment h1814eb7.png not found

and this is so so so wrong as well.

That is one of the great f'uped things of life...it's not fair. I know I know that's life and life isn't fair...but I don't have to like it and I don't have to be that way or use it as an excuse to do the wrong thing like so many do just so to get their my way.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170897 by
The inequity in the statistics is not just an argument against the death penalty, its an indictment of the "justice" system it describes, as a whole...

However, it argues against the DP in general, not that it should be arbitrarily imposed based in any way upon race of offender or victim...

Our most recent example - in Canada - is a man who had been wrongfully convicted and imprisoned for 27 years was exonerated... In addition to his conviction for the crimes, Canada has a statute under which an offender may be declared a "dangerous offender". This leads to life in prison, with no chance of parole and you guessed it, this fellow was labelled a "Dangerous offender".

The Dangerous Offender statute is essentially our "Death Penalty"...

Regardless of other arguments against the DP, as long as we continue to erroneously convict people, we have no business exercising the death penalty.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #170899 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic The Death Penalty As Applied

Br. John wrote: Should the race of the victim and the race of the defendant be a determining factor in the DP?

Execution information accurate as of November 19, 2014 following an execution in Missouri.

Out of curiosity, what are the statistics for white defendant/white victim, black defendant/black victim... the graph doesn't show the whole picture.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #170900 by steamboat28

Rickie The Grey wrote:

Brenna wrote:

SilverWolf wrote: Examples: Charles Manson

And yet Manson is alive and well and got married a couple days ago

That is so so so wrong.

You're telling me. Now I have zero excuses to give my family at Christmas when they ask why I'm still single.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by steamboat28.

More
9 years 4 months ago #170903 by Br. John

Edan wrote:

Out of curiosity, what are the statistics for white defendant/white victim, black defendant/black victim... the graph doesn't show the whole picture.

Irrespective of the race of the defendant the odds of being executed are far greater when the victim is white.

"[D]eath sentences were imposed on behalf of white victims at 2.5 times the rate one would expect if the system were blind to race, and death sentences were imposed on behalf of white female victims at 5 times the rate one would expect if the system were blind to race and gender." http://www.houstonlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/4-Phillips.pdf

And see:

http://www.capitalpunishmentincontext.org/issues/race

http://www.ncadp.org/pages/race-of-the-victim

Founder of The Order

More
9 years 4 months ago #170925 by SilverWolf
Steamboat, here's one for you "I'm just waiting for the right Jedi girl to come along, someone who likes the same things I do, besides, even you'll agree that love can't be rushed" It is honest, truthful, and they cannot argue the factual logic that love cannot be rushed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #170926 by steamboat28
That seems more tactful than my typical reply of "Well, that depends on when I can find someone with just enough poor eyesight or cognitive damage to find me attractive..."
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi