Words Mean Things.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #153070 by
Replied by on topic Words Mean Things.

Have you undertaken the IP Khaos?

No.

It's not about teaching, its about opportunities to learn.

That's why I interact here. However, criticism of what is presented is not about teaching either

Peer review in the form of critique is good learning for everyone. Depending on one's ability to see opportunities to learn.

l I can think of why this would be an issue is perhaps some people aren't interested in real personal development, and instead are collecting styles of training - but that would be a shame as it misses the point entirely. No wonder vagueness and esotericism would be annoying in those circumstances

Vagueness and esotericism would be annoying for anyone seeking clarification, or deeper understanding of what is presented.

Surely, only those actually not interested in real earning or development at all would be okay with being vague...

vague [ vayg ]
not explicit: not clear in meaning or intention
not distinctly seen: not having a clear or perceptible form
not clearly perceived in mind: not clearly felt, understood, or recalled

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #153072 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Words Mean Things.

Khaos wrote: Vagueness and esotericism would be annoying for anyone seeking clarification, or deeper understanding of what is presented.

Surely, only those actually not interested in real earning or development at all would be okay with being vague...

Of course, it goes to intention. Sometimes pre-requisite understanding needs to come from experience, and until that occurs things might appear vague to some, but not to others, so appearing vague in itself is not necessarily indication of the intention to be vague.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
9 years 9 months ago #153076 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Words Mean Things.

Khaos wrote:

Have you undertaken the IP Khaos?

No.

It's not about teaching, its about opportunities to learn.

That's why I interact here. However, criticism of what is presented is not about teaching either

Peer review in the form of critique is good learning for everyone. Depending on one's ability to see opportunities to learn.

l I can think of why this would be an issue is perhaps some people aren't interested in real personal development, and instead are collecting styles of training - but that would be a shame as it misses the point entirely. No wonder vagueness and esotericism would be annoying in those circumstances

Vagueness and esotericism would be annoying for anyone seeking clarification, or deeper understanding of what is presented.

vague [ vayg ]
not explicit: not clear in meaning or intention
not distinctly seen: not having a clear or perceptible form
not clearly perceived in mind: not clearly felt, understood, or recalled

Interesting... Most of the time I've been here, I've come to learn and understand most things more clearly and more deeply through this "vagueness" of communication, or what some like to call "riddles", "koans", "poetry" etc. Precise, logical, analytical knowledge is something I have no trouble gathering around the temple nor outside of it. It tends to be that which I already have about most things. Yet, I've found this kind of knowledge falls short of tying a significant topic more fully to myself and the bigger picture. Technicality, logical definitions and explanations are easy to make and take, but they stop on the surface of understanding. It is only one small part. I see nobody insisting that any topic should omit logical definitions and explanations, only that further understanding tends to exist beyond its rather finite boundaries within traditional communication.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #153079 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Words Mean Things.

Adder wrote: Of course, it goes to intention. Sometimes pre-requisite understanding needs to come from experience, and until that occurs things might appear vague to some, but not to others, so appearing vague in itself is not necessarily indication of the intention to be vague.

No. That's not how that works. The first steps toward enlightenment are always easy to understand, easy to explain, and simply hard to do. You don't start with vaguaries and nonsense expecting that to lead to experience. The vaguaries are used to describe the experience afterward, not to lead to it. If you don't believe me, you can pick up any text from any real theological/philosophical/religious/spiritual teacher that isn't Watts or a Jedi. You'll notice initiation always starts with small, easily understood steps in clear language. Their difficulty is that they challenge the status quo, not the listener's comprehension.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, ren

More
9 years 9 months ago #153080 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Words Mean Things.

steamboat28 wrote:

Adder wrote: Of course, it goes to intention. Sometimes pre-requisite understanding needs to come from experience, and until that occurs things might appear vague to some, but not to others, so appearing vague in itself is not necessarily indication of the intention to be vague.

No. That's not how that works. The first steps toward enlightenment are always easy to understand, easy to explain, and simply hard to do. You don't start with vaguaries and nonsense expecting that to lead to experience. The vaguaries are used to describe the experience afterward, not to lead to it. If you don't believe me, you can pick up any text from any real theological/philosophical/religious/spiritual teacher that isn't Watts or a Jedi. You'll notice initiation always starts with small, easily understood steps in clear language. Their difficulty is that they challenge the status quo, not the listener's comprehension.

I didn't say that is how it works, I said sometimes a person can run into examples of material which needs pre-requisite understanding. We are all at different points in training/learning in various different things.

Do you mean specific teachings here, which should be introductory, but you consider too vague? I might agree with you, but your previous post said 'we' so I thought you meant people's manner of talking here at the forum. It's a lot to expect people to stop their own progress to ensure the proverbial lowest common denominator is maintained, mostly because we all do not start at the same point, and can fluctuate back and forth or around in circles too!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Amaya

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #153090 by
Thought this might be relevant :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIA_-HgugAI
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by .

More
9 years 9 months ago #153103 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Words Mean Things.
The only real contribution I feel I can make here at this point is that by not thinking about what I'm going to say and how I should say it, I've caused a lot of miscommunication, loss and heartache.

rugadd

More
9 years 9 months ago #153104 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Words Mean Things.
And that jestor used "there" instead of the more appropriate "their". :evil:

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #153121 by

rugadd wrote: And that jestor used "there" instead of the more appropriate "their". :evil:

But we understood him regardless, didn't we? While it is true that "there" and "their" have two separate meanings, we understand the contextual framework of the sentence and were able to extrapolate the meaning of "there" to be the possessive "their". Frankly, while I personally have a love of linguistic precision and accuracy of grammar and spelling, these are almost completely arbitrary and it is only through repeated use that they have gained the structure we claim to be so important.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 9 months ago #153123 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Words Mean Things.

rugadd wrote: And that jestor used "there" instead of the more appropriate "their". :evil:

You know, that's how I get away with it when speaking.. No one can see my words when I misspell them or use the wrong one!!

:laugh:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Alexandre Orion

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi