Words Mean Things.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #151915 by
Replied by on topic Words Mean Things.

Why the English language is so confusing:

I dont think anyone will argue that.

However that is a poor excuse for being poor at communication.

The topic was that "Words mean things."

Which colorful as it may be what the plurals for words are and how there context and synonyms create a Dr Seuss book, you essentially offered nothing to the topic at hand, and seemed more interested in coming off as clever.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 10 months ago #151917 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Words Mean Things.

Khaos wrote:

Why the English language is so confusing:

I dont think anyone will argue that.

However that is a poor excuse for being poor at communication.

The topic was that "Words mean things."

Which colorful as it may be what the plurals for words are and how there context and synonyms create a Dr Seuss book, you essentially offered nothing to the topic at hand, and seemed more interested in coming off as clever.

Or amusing...

And I was amused...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #151934 by
Merely for entertainment purposes. Are you not entertained? :laugh:

But, if words mean things, and they of course do, and if we're to use words as they were meant to be used, why do so many people with such a command of words use the wrong forms of these words? Case in point: the use of there, their, and they're. Each of these words have meanings and different purposes, yet so many who demand a concrete use of terms in their proper definitions lack the foresight, or even the ability to edit while writing, to use them properly. (Not pointing to anybody, in particular, just sayin') If it's grammar we're so insistent upon, here, we should at least do so with care. Unless you're implying that we should instead read the message for what it was meant to illustrate, which is the opposite of the intended purpose of this thread. 'Words Mean Things.' Yes, they do, and nobody is arguing against this. The point is to have a common frame of vocabulary reference to better understand each other. I'm all for using proper grammar, but people don't come here for writing lessons, though one could do so if they choose. Communication, whether clear or not, is still communication. Would it be better if it were clear? Absolutely. Can we guarantee this? Most likely not. I've known people who can talk my ear off about anything and everything with a great vocabulary, but, many times, their grammar and spelling are lacking. Great speakers, not-so-great writers. The point? I don't think this thread is overly helpful for furthering communication. Especially if we're going to get caught up in every minute detail of their post instead of paying attention to the message they're trying to send. If we get confused by a term one uses, it should be fine to point it out, but it's not important to get caught up on it.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by .

More
9 years 10 months ago #151935 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Words Mean Things.

Luthien wrote: ...why do so many people with such a command of words use the wrong forms of these words?

There is no excuse, whatsoever, not to be perfectly fluent in your native language. You are surrounded by it on a daily basis during your formative years, you are taught how it works, there are reference books that explain how your language functions and why, and we live in an age of limitless information literally at your fingertips. No excuse.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #151937 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Luthien wrote: ...why do so many people with such a command of words use the wrong forms of these words?

There is no excuse, whatsoever, not to be perfectly fluent in your native language. You are surrounded by it on a daily basis during your formative years, you are taught how it works, there are reference books that explain how your language functions and why, and we live in an age of limitless information literally at your fingertips. No excuse.

Great! So, when do we start banning people who don't perform to your liking?

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 10 months ago #151939 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Words Mean Things.
Let's all just forget about this and watch those pole dancers instead :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdrjEW44UTQ

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , PatrickB

More
9 years 10 months ago #151941 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Words Mean Things.
I appreciate the purpose of this thread and why it was started, but while we debate the usage of words are any of us really going to change the way we speak/write?
As long as our sentences are cohesive and our arguments cogent, then if others don't understand they can ask questions. As long as we are able to ask questions, then any slight differences in usages of terminology or understanding of meanings, can be reasonably figured out.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 10 months ago #151947 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Words Mean Things.
The reason this thread gets used so much is because people get frustrated too quickly...

If I talk all Yoda, and not intentionally, and I do that often, lol, that some folks don't have the patience to find our what we mean...

And we don't know we are not being clear, the person we are talking to gets upset that we are not being clear, and lose their patience...

So, it requires something from all of us, patience on the short fused, more effort to be clear on the Yoda-wanna-be... lol...

Attachment h913ae4f.jpg not found

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: , PatrickB

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #151964 by
I heard this on last night's episode of "True Blood" and thought it was somehow appropriate for this thread. :)

Sookie: "The first time you took me to Fangtasia - in the car, on the way there - you called me 'vampire bait'. That's not somethin' a girl forgets."
Bill: "I didn't mean it literally."
Sookie: "I know you didn't, but when we say stuff we can't decide how people are gonna take it."

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 10 months ago #151968 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Words Mean Things.
This thread reminds me of when I first moved to NZ. I used to say "cheers" to people and they would give me really strange looks!

In SA, cheers means goodbye. In NZ it means thank you, and of course in both countries "Yay we're drinking together!" (I paraphrase)

As far as culture goes, the two countries aren't that different, but still, the same words mean different things.

Like saying "now now". It has a really specific meaning in SA. and is utter nonsense anywhere else in the world.

So even if we do use the same words, that have a generally accepted meaning that we all know, we may use them differently anyway. Whether Wescli likes it or not :woohoo:

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi