In the News: I am A Jedi

More
8 years 11 months ago #192810 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic In the News: I am A Jedi

Alethea Thompson wrote: Have you considered that there IS only one way to view Jediism? But many ways to live with in that view?

But at the end of the day, it's all the same. From there you just have to be honest with yourself, and take the constructive criticism to know when someone is right that you aren't following Christ's teachings -because only then are you truly sincere in your faith.

And isn't that wonderful about Jediism, not everyone follows it as a religion, some "view" it as a path. It doesn't make them any less "sincere."

Warning: Spoiler!

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192811 by
Replied by on topic In the News: I am A Jedi

Alethea Thompson wrote:

steamboat28 wrote:

Alethea Thompson wrote: Have you considered that there IS only one way to view Jediism? But many ways to live with in that view?

If that were true, we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

Sure we would, because people misunderstand all sorts of things.

It's like looking at all those Christian denominations: there is only one way to view Christianity- but many ways to live in that view.

Do you believe that God is the one and true god? (Check)
Do you believe in Christ? (Check)
Do you believe that he died on the cross for your sins? (Check)
Do you believe that you can be saved through Christ? (Check)
Have you decided to live by Christ's Teachings? (Check)

There are very slight variations, that is what makes you Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, etc. But at the very base of all of them, it's these 5 questions. If you don't agree with one, you're not Christian by religion. You might be Christian by philosophy depending on which one you decided you don't agree with. But at the end of the day, it's all the same. From there you just have to be honest with yourself, and take the constructive criticism to know when someone is right that you aren't following Christ's teachings -because only then are you truly sincere in your faith.

Let's expand and allow for the discussion. What questions or principles do you believe would be necessary for an all encompassing definition or doctrine of Jediism Alethea Thompson?

I suspect if we broaden our definition large enough that many of the members here would agree. However, would this broadening detract from the philosophy in any way?

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192818 by steamboat28

Alethea Thompson wrote: It's like looking at all those Christian denominations: there is only one way to view Christianity- but many ways to live in that view.

I think you're confusing the word "view" with "canon" and the term "live" with "interpretation."

There are many ways to view Christianity. Just like there are many ways to view Jediism. Telling me that you know there's only one way either can be seen makes me want to steer clear of your version of both.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

More
8 years 11 months ago #192828 by Breeze el Tierno
I want to say that I am astonished, but I really shouldn't be.

Someone posts an article about a Jedi doing well for himself (fantastic!), and somehow the thread comes back around to the same, tired, dead-eyed straightjacket as always.

There's only one way. Always, always, someone has to believe there is only one way.

But that perspective, that position, is at the core of everything that is murderous, brutal, and blood-soaked ugly about all of the world's religions. Why plant that seed of the one right way?

It's so damned poisonous. I am proud to be part of a Temple where so many seem inclined to spit that poison out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jestor, Ben, , Edan, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192837 by
Replied by on topic In the News: I am A Jedi

I'm not sure I want to open this particular can of worms again, but could it be that we just don't agree on the definitions of the words "view" and "live?"

steamboat28 wrote: I think you're confusing the word "view" with "canon" and the term "live" with "interpretation."

I think Steam is right on this one. At least that's how I interpret what everyone is saying.

We seem to be trying to say the same things with different words and it's causing frustrations. What I'm getting is that everyone is saying that people see/live/practice Jediism differently but that it all centers around a few consistent things. Very few, but still a few. Those few things are what Alethea calls a "view" but what Steam calls the "canon." The way people choose to follow those things is what Alethea calls "living" but Steam calls "interpretation" and others call "viewing." The fact that "view" came up as a possible word for both meanings is causing the problem.

For what it's worth, I don't think that Alethea is trying to tell us that there's only one way to do anything, just that Jediism is one thing and all those who follow Jediism, however differently they may follow it, have things in common that allow us to call it Jediism and not be lying. Namely, a belief in what we call the Force.

I could be wrong. It happens all the time. I think I'm right, but I'm not going to Force anyone to see it my way. B)

Edit: Maybe this discussion deserves it's own thread instead of hijacking this one.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

More
8 years 11 months ago #192842 by steamboat28

Goken wrote: Maybe this discussion deserves it's own thread instead of hijacking this one.

It does. Go Go Gadget Mods?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 11 months ago #192863 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic In the News: I am A Jedi

Cabur Senaar wrote: I want to say that I am astonished, but I really shouldn't be.

Someone posts an article about a Jedi doing well for himself (fantastic!), and somehow the thread comes back around to the same, tired, dead-eyed straightjacket as always.

There's only one way. Always, always, someone has to believe there is only one way.

But that perspective, that position, is at the core of everything that is murderous, brutal, and blood-soaked ugly about all of the world's religions. Why plant that seed of the one right way?

It's so damned poisonous. I am proud to be part of a Temple where so many seem inclined to spit that poison out.

Thank you...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Breeze el Tierno,

More
8 years 11 months ago #192892 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic In the News: I am A Jedi

Adder wrote: Ob1shinobi, you cannot deny that it is represented in popular fiction, very popular and widespread to the extent one of the most on the planet, as a weapon. A toothbrush can be a weapon as well but most people have them to brush their teeth. I guess it makes sense for 2 reasons; 1. the public perceive it as a weapon and have concern the person carrying it thinks of it as such, and 2. the person carrying it associates its use to fighting and therefore is more likely to wield it in circumstances where it might not be acceptable. These not only promote other people carrying similar 'weapon' items (basically an arms race who has the bigger/better weapon feels safer, which defaults to wealth and increases the capacity fear to be leveraged for the poor to be controlled by those with wealth), but visible carriage of weapons also reminds people of risk and threats - where in some countries they prefer to have a peaceful environment where people do not have to be reminded at every moment that someone might be capable of hurting them. I've never been to the US which has a unique gun culture, but in Australia and perhaps in the UK the police like to have a less visible presence, sort of just out of sight and only really making themselves known for deliberate effect for some reason... in an effort to promote a peaceful and reduced stress environment. So by having this registered as a religious item, he (and the authorities) can clearly address any concern people might have with a legitimate reason that nicely contradicts the major concern carrying it might create - unless he is Sith, as everyone also knows the Jedi prefer to live in tree stumps and meditate in cave's full of leaking natural gas...
:pinch:

i agree that what you say is factual

i do not belive that a free man has to ask permission to carry a flashlight

i havent seen a close up of this guys light saber

the sabers that Jedi_Roz and Ryujin have posted (which are AWESOME) have the spike at the bottom, which if the thing is as solid as it looks like it could be, make it potentially lethal

but not much more so than well shaped stone!

which could be picked up off of the street or in the woods or the neighborhoods of average people virtually anywhere in the world

or a padlock

or a good cluncky belt buckle

or the toes or heels on many boots

or any number of other things that no one would think to register with the cops

to me it is not an issue of carrying a weapon
its an issue of it not being a weapon to begin with

personally, ive come to think the guy wants attention

if he is happy then great - im happy that he is happy

he has every right to do whatever he wants so long as he doesnt hurt anyone

but really - you dont have to dress like a capcom character and you certainly dont have to register your toy with the police to be happy or to be jedi

if he cared about frightening people then he would wear ralph lauren, calvin klein, and polo; probably a soft pastel blue with a v neck button collar would suit him

maybe some khaki cargo pants and a set of ray band sun-shades

he could round it out with a pair of birkenstock sandals and a boston terrier puppy, and church women would strap their daughters to car batteries to go talk to him when he went out in public

obviously he isnt that worried about making people uncomfortable

think of it like this; if sub zero or akuma walked up to you in a bar, would him having registered his flashlight with the police really make it less awkward?

maybe im being too critical?

but imo an arms race over who has the biggest plastic light saber is not much an an arms race

i dont think hes going to have a lot of competition, to be honest

if he acts crazy he will be locked up

if he doesnt he wont

if the saber makes him more likely to act crazy then that is not a reason to register the saber - its a reason to register HIM - as a crazy person

i belive that sabers can be considered religious items for jedi - i do not belive they need to be registered with the police

at all

ever

EVER

am i the only one who thinks its funny?

People are complicated.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192894 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic In the News: I am A Jedi

Cabur Senaar wrote:

so if the right way is to spit the poison out,

doesnt that mean that there IS only one right way, even if all we could say about it is that it is "without poison"

?

then doesnt it seem likely from there that some things work to free us from our poison and some dont?

im not being sarcastic and im not being intentionally rude

i am totally sincere

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 11 months ago #192912 by Breeze el Tierno
If the goal is to win a game of rhetoric, then sure.