In the News: I am A Jedi

More
8 years 11 months ago #192545 by steamboat28

Alethea Thompson wrote: Because of the circumstances surrounding it. If you could find a belief system that carried around a weapon for ceremonial purposes only, which has been permitted, then you could use that as a precedence.

...which is exactly what the Sikh do. It's a ceremonial item that is required by their faith to be on them at all times. It no longer serves its actual purpose, and is quite commonly not even properly tempered to hold an edge. It's a symbol. There's your precedence.

For example, if an Athame were permitted, then you could use that as reason for allowing a Jedi to carry around a bladed weapon for ceremonial purposes. If monks are allowed to wear their robes around with the hood up, then a Jedi should be allowed to wear a hooded piece of clothing.

Jedi can do whatever they want as long as they aren't breaking the law or betraying their path. "Hooded piece of clothing" is vague and commonplace, even today, and it's only for security identification purposes that people get frustrated with them.

The idea is to find like with like.

Except that precedent has to start somewhere.

In history, Shikhs were required the bladed weapon because they needed to defend themselves. It has become a major part of symbolism for them. But in a day when the belief systems are being created from a time when bladed weapons are the most ineffective form of defense, people expect you to pick up something more civilized.

So what you're saying is that older religions have rights new ones don't?
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192546 by
Replied by on topic In the News: I am A Jedi
If someone wish to carry a lightsaber with them at all time, this is their choice and i shall be hapy to see them happy.

Where my questioning is, however, is the fact that it have been registred as a religious item when, as we should all know, it is not. It is a movie prop. I do agree it is cool, that some people make great effort making and maintaining them and I, myself, own one. I also agree that someone can find some spiritual value to it, but we can do this with whatever object we have. For example, a friend of mine always carry a dice with him, it remind him that chance is not really a ''thing'', that statistic s more logical and that because one dice turn may not be for you, the next one may or may not be different, but you dont have to accept the number: a dice can be taken, move so it shows another face. This is is choice.

Where the bug come about this, is that Jedi here is not exactly the same as the popular movie describe them, and the Force is also slightly different. He may be a Jedi, and saying it out loud is good. But calking of Sith and Gray Jedi and going around saying a lightsaber is a religious object, this only bring more negative feedback on Jediism.

More people may now see it as a joke, instead of the true spiritual path of wisdom, knowledge, acceptance... Many that could be shown the way of the (IRL) Jedi could be pushed away by such publicity.

Once again, It make me happy that this man seams happy, but some distinctions should be made. In particular with the new movies coming up, Jediism is going to be, once more, under the spotlights. People should be aware that t is not something to ''look cool'' or like ''in the movies''. Maybe people, here, like to cos-play on the Star Wars theme, which make sense (mayself find it quite cool even if I don't do so), and I don't mind at all. But this temple is somewhere dedicated to spirituality, and understanding of the universe. Not some Movie convention.

As for the cloth, my basic information processing is: do you like it? Yes. Do you want to wear it? Yes. Is it comfy/proper to your actual actions? Yes. Is t offending? No. Then f you want to wear it, go ahead. Jedi Movie cloth, juste like religious robes, are quite comfy.

More then that: In my book, If you are of masculin sex and still want to wear a dress, I coudnt care less (But maybe you should ask yourself some question about your gender, since one often lead to another. Not that I mind, gender shoudnt be forced on nobody, anyway, thats my opinion as a psychology student)
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

More
8 years 11 months ago #192549 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic In the News: I am A Jedi
ArticFox wrote

He may be a Jedi, and saying it out loud is good. But calking of Sith and Gray Jedi and going around saying a lightsaber is a religious object, this only bring more negative feedback on Jediism.

I think you may be confused. The problem I notice with many hangups in these discussions is that quite a few Jedi believe there is "one" way to view Jeddism, and that the religion/path should fit their personal expectations, and then others should see or approach it the same way. Life doesn't happen that way, everyone views it differently, and this is what makes Jediism appealing to many, the acceptance of diversity in it's many forms...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, RyuJin, Edan,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192553 by
Replied by on topic In the News: I am A Jedi
I do not beleive there is only one way to Jediism, but one cannot simply say that Jediism is ''everything'' either. If something have a name, set of principles and way of thinking, it will also have boundaries.

Jediism does not have any religious object associated with it. Witing Jediism, you do have the freedom to find spiritual relevance to an object, but the religions in itself doesn't limit itself with such things.

Light saber are NOT a religious object of Jediism. Yet again, I do not deny the possibility to give them some spiritual meaning. The absence of such objects is actually one of the thing Jediism is unique for. There is no need for such thing unless some individuals feel the need for it. Not a requirement, not at the base of the teachings.

I do not believe been confused, I am simply stating that there some nuances,and we should not ignore them.

In other words, my choice of spiritual object might not be the same as yours. And those object are not official Jediism effigies. If we started to make a list of all holy object based on every individuals, the list would be enormous and without much uses. Jediism been ''free'', by definition, no object should be associated with EVERY ONE in the comunity, since it doesnt represent every single one of them. This arcticle, and this lightsaber, do just that. Associate one thing as universal for a whole when it is not. That is my point.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192568 by Zenchi

ArcticFox wrote: I do not beleive there is only one way to Jediism, but one cannot simply say that Jediism is ''everything'' either. If something have a name, set of principles and way of thinking, it will also have boundaries.

Jediism does not have any religious object associated with it. Witing Jediism, you do have the freedom to find spiritual relevance to an object, but the religions in itself doesn't limit itself with such things.

Light saber are NOT a religious object of Jediism. Yet again, I do not deny the possibility to give them some spiritual meaning. The absence of such objects is actually one of the thing Jediism is unique for. There is no need for such thing unless some individuals feel the need for it. Not a requirement, not at the base of the teachings.

I do not believe been confused, I am simply stating that there some nuances,and we should not ignore them.

In other words, my choice of spiritual object might not be the same as yours. And those object are not official Jediism effigies. If we started to make a list of all holy object based on every individuals, the list would be enormous and without much uses. Jediism been ''free'', by definition, no object should be associated with EVERY ONE in the comunity, since it doesnt represent every single one of them. This arcticle, and this lightsaber, do just that. Associate one thing as universal for a whole when it is not. That is my point.

My point wasn't in reference to your discussion over lightsabers, or whether Jedi should use them or not. Your previous statement read as if you thought it a bad idea to bring up the subject of Grey Jedi or even Sith. Why? I personally see no wrong in involving these in an open discussion, especially if it broadens the minds of our members. Many of our members here could be considered Greys afterall.

Should we forego any discussion concerning the Sith because there are some who seem to participate into larping? That's something that is not isolated to just those who claim to be Sith btw. Perhaps it is due to preconcieved notions as to what Sith actually are or do.

Again, in this instance the problem lies in attempting to "box" a group centered around individuality and self empowerment into a certain mold, (out of attempts at trying to attach a negative stigma simply to prove a point based solely on personal opinion) one that many others do not adhere to.

I don't wish to derail this thread, as this can easily be covered (and has been attempted before) in a separate thread. A large part of Jediism is keeping our minds open, let's not forget that...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

More
8 years 11 months ago #192767 by Alethea Thompson
Have you considered that there IS only one way to view Jediism? But many ways to live with in that view?

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 11 months ago #192769 by steamboat28

Alethea Thompson wrote: Have you considered that there IS only one way to view Jediism? But many ways to live with in that view?

If that were true, we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192770 by Zenchi
I see no value in viewing something (especially Jediism) in a fixed perspective. Ask the active membership how they view Jediism, the answers will most assuredly be similar (for the most part) however their will be differences that set them apart. That's not of course to say Jediism does not contain specific characteristics that set it apart, making it unique from other religions/paths.

Attempts at forcing a specific viewpoint on others for whatever reason, is an attempt to control others. Very un-Jedi like in my personal opinion...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, Breeze el Tierno

More
8 years 11 months ago #192772 by Breeze el Tierno

Alethea Thompson wrote: Have you considered that there IS only one way to view Jediism? But many ways to live with in that view?

I have considered it. After careful consideration and much furrowing of brow, I decided that was just silly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Locksley, Zenchi

More
8 years 11 months ago #192801 by Alethea Thompson

steamboat28 wrote:

If that were true, we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

Sure we would, because people misunderstand all sorts of things.

It's like looking at all those Christian denominations: there is only one way to view Christianity- but many ways to live in that view.

Do you believe that God is the one and true god? (Check)
Do you believe in Christ? (Check)
Do you believe that he died on the cross for your sins? (Check)
Do you believe that you can be saved through Christ? (Check)
Have you decided to live by Christ's Teachings? (Check)

There are very slight variations, that is what makes you Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, etc. But at the very base of all of them, it's these 5 questions. If you don't agree with one, you're not Christian by religion. You might be Christian by philosophy depending on which one you decided you don't agree with. But at the end of the day, it's all the same. From there you just have to be honest with yourself, and take the constructive criticism to know when someone is right that you aren't following Christ's teachings -because only then are you truly sincere in your faith.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana