An Answer for Unification- please read I know it's redundant, but follow me :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #161326 by

Alethea Thompson wrote: An individual is an individual- but the question isn't how can individual Jedi be taken seriously, it's "How can Jedi be taken seriously". Tell me, if someone that were a Scientologist were to run for office, do you believe people would take him seriously?

As it stands, I know a Jedi (he's even got works in the Great Jedi Holocron) that is running for Congress- in order to do our best in supporting him, we've ensured his real life name has been wiped from the records. He has also pulled out of the community since he started down a political path. He is still Jedi in every sense of the word- and only a select few will ever know what he has accomplished as a Jedi. With any luck, maybe one of the old guard will survive him and log the story in our history- who knows it might be me. But don't you think it a bit of a tragedy that by just being affiliated with the community might prevent them from achieving some great things? Things greater than you or me? Or maybe even that a Jedi running for Congress?

Yes, I do.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #161360 by
The argument for supporting this project is unconvincing. The TotJO website has many worthy articles on these subjects, so, the call for assisting in this project and thus associating TotJO with those who remain preoccupied with Lucas' fictional universe and its novel-based variations is not, I believe, in our Order's best interests. While it is an excellent place to start, the point is to intellectually and spiritually move beyond, not only Lucas, but also his source material in Campbell's Hero With A Thousand Faces. I would encourage TotJO members of any rank to devote their time and energy to our Order's efforts and in this way demonstrate to those sincere devotees of The Hero's Adventure where the path to the Source leads.

More
9 years 7 months ago #161374 by Zenchi
Oddly enough, I find myself usually agreeing with much of what Alan says,  but I do personally think it's about time we put forth an effort to show to those interested (and the rest of the world that's not illiterate) that we are not a cult, and that we are also not a bunch of fractured groups fantasizing over Star Wars. I personally see this as a project well worth investing time and energy into, and it's presumably for a good cause. I do think however that cause should be agreed upon and determined ASAP...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #161390 by
While this project may be meant to demonstrate that Jedi are not cult members or fractured groups of Star Wars fans, I am afraid that this is exactly what it will demonstrate to those who want to believe that. Naysayers of Jediism will simply point out that we can't even agree on how to best put together a book. And assuming we finally do, they will find each and every reference to Star Wars as a way to discredit Jediism and science-fiction hoopla.

And good luck getting a number of different editors to agree on how to properly construct a coherent volume of works from such an incredibly diverse group of contributors. This challenge alone could make it logistically impossible.

I believe we will find in the coming years that our online forums, journals, posts, creeds, and teachings from any and all orders will be evidence enough that there are serious and committed Jedi in this world. Recognition is food for the ego, and it can be very dangerous. I will continue to put forth my efforts to becoming a better Jedi and let the world judge me how they will.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #161439 by Alethea Thompson
Senan, that's one reason it's not going to a well known publisher. They are organized in chapters, no logistical nightmare at all. Editors would only be needed for grammatical reasons.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Alethea Thompson.

More
9 years 7 months ago #161452 by Edan
Can I ask a question? This is an honest question and I'm not trying to have a dig at anyone...

Why do we need this book? It feels a little as though it is a way of trying to convince others we are who we say we are. For me personally, I don't feel the need to explain nor legitimise my beliefs to anyone, if they don't get it that's down to them.

Every member of every forum on the internet has (as far as I'm aware) free access to all the other communities and their writings. I've said this before but that's because I believe it; that people who are interested, who feel the 'tug' so to speak, are already looking for us.

Is this book for us or for others?

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Brenna, , Carlos.Martinez3

More
9 years 7 months ago #161457 by Alethea Thompson
Mostly for others, but some of it is for us as a community. Those seeking information regarding Jediism might not look into the community itself, but look for books. I've met a few people that came TO the community because of Kevin Trout (Opie MacLeod)'s books. Some don't want to get into a community, but they want to live the path- this is another method of getting that information out to them.

It's for the community in two senses- it demonstrates our ability to communicate well with one another and set aside differences. There are a few of us that do communicate, but across the community there is a belief that no one is willing to bridge differences, they believe there are too many groups which are seeking to simply alienate from one another. The reality is, there is literally one person that is alienating himself and wants his community to follow (they aren't, but he would rather they did, even if he doesn't say it directly).

It also serves the community to bring about understanding of who we are, and gives us something to point to and say- if you would like to learn more look here. Would LOVE to be able to do that with chaplains.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 7 months ago #161458 by Brenna
I was wondering if you could elaborate on something that been bugging me a little. in the title of this thread you've said

"I know it's redundant, but follow me"

Could you explain why you've phrased it like this? I think i'm missing something.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
9 years 7 months ago #161465 by Alethea Thompson
lol, because it was (I think) the fourth topic started on the concept of "Unification" within the last few days of posting the thread. :) I thought, man people are going to look at that title and think..."god(s), not ANOTHER unification thread!" :)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 7 months ago #161467 by Brenna

Alethea Thompson wrote: lol, because it was (I think) the fourth topic started on the concept of "Unification" within the last few days of posting the thread. :) I thought, man people are going to look at that title and think..."god(s), not ANOTHER unification thread!" :)

You've been in the community a long time from what I know, has the question of unification come up many times? What about on other sites? How is the idea received there.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Jestor