An Answer for Unification- please read I know it's redundant, but follow me :D

More
9 years 7 months ago #160971 by Alethea Thompson
I mentioned it in another thread, there is a project that I want the community to get on board with. I REALLY want ToTJO's members to be a part of it as well. Those of you that were hear about a year ago might remember the Jedi Compass initiative. That was the first step in a wider project that I've been trying to get underway for a few months now, but due to some of the things that have gone on in my life (basic training, moving literally across the country, getting settled into a new unit, and trying to qualify for some positions) it has been difficult for me remind key members in various orders about this project. Well, I'm going to start taking a more proactive approach.

Here's how it works. There was this book that Adam Yaw put together a long time ago, it's called the Great Jedi Holocron. He collected a bunch of lectures from a few orders (namely FA, Ashla and IJRS) despite there being a plethora more out there he could have pulled from and introduced people to three Force Realists (Jedi, Sith and Shadow) philosophies. It was sort of an unorganized effort to compile some of the best lectures he had access to and preserve them. This time around, I would like to see a book that we can publish in book format and can be sold at bookstores. The funds would go to a charity that we would have to take a vote on later (still don't have a clue which one to send it to, but I was hoping for something international- because we as a whole are international).

A few years ago I mentioned a similar project, and it fell to the wayside. When I brought it up to our Chaplain in Okinawa, he felt it would help a great deal to have such a book in order to gain recognition by US Armed Forces, and he also believed it would help reduce some of the ridicule we receive regularly. This, while it might not my concern for myself, it is something that I want for members in our community- I want them to have something they can go to and say- this proves our community isn't just some random fanboys/girls. Because let's face it, there are people out there that need that security. It might not be you, but it very well can be your Jedi Brother and/or Sister to your left and your right.

The outline format is written loosely, because we all have our different ideas of how we incorporate the concepts into our lives, and why they are important- so it gives you room to write your thoughts on it. There is no limit for how many original pieces are submitted for each section. If we get 100 different understandings of "the Force", they all go in (as long as they aren't sarcastic in nature). There is a catch though- if you want your piece to be representative of a specific order, it has to go through said order's council for review. That said, it does NOT have to be associated with a particular order, unless you are attaching your rank to it. If you are okay without the rank and just want to submit it as an article by itself, it will still get admitted in.

Doomeniek asked how we can be taken seriously- this book would go a long ways in helping that vision along. And by having all of our orders participate, it will demonstrate that we are not nearly as divided in how we view the path, as many tend to believe.

Each subsection is the chapter name.

THE JEDI COMPASS

BY THE JEDI COMMUNITY

The Ineffable

The Force- “The Force” is a loosely adapted term to explain a something which all cultures agree exist, but disagree on exactly what it is. As such, a Jedi dedicates themselves to understanding of all things within and through “the Force”. As a rule, no Jedi can set down in law a concrete definition of “the Force” for all to follow, only for themselves.

Core Ethics

Loyalty to the Jedi Code- This has a few different variants depending on what order a Jedi attends. A Jedi is bound by the code. By maintaining your loyalty to the code, you are able to keep your actions in check through the moral integrity of the Jedi Path outlined in the Jedi Code. It is important that a Jedi checks their own version of the code against the original codes (Jedi Code and Skywalker Code) before they adopt it.

Duty to the All- A Jedi's mission is to support their community through service. A Jedi is charged with acting, objectively, when they recognise a situation where someone needs help. Jedi put their lives above the lives of others, even when facing danger, but know that they can help through direct action or indirect action as per the situation.

Respect the Law- A Jedi knows enough of the law to operate within it. Jedi should respect, and do their best to live by, the laws of the land they are living in. However, these are man's law, and like man, subject to flaws. A Jedi must act for the best interest of mankind as he/she sees the situation.

Defense- A Jedi understands that defense is not purely physical, but that there are many ways to defend a person or property. As such, it is important to understand that Jedi are not vigilantes. If, however, they are in a position where they are called to defend themselves or someone else against loss of life, limb or senses, they are allowed to apply the appropriate amount of force necessary for defense.

Action- A Jedi recognizes that there are times when getting involved with a situation is against the will of the person they are seeking to assist, or that helping them may be more detrimental in the long run. As such, a Jedi seeks inner wisdom to determine when to act and when not to act.

Self Awareness

Interior-
A Jedi works to become aware of their emotions and things which make them “tick”. They learn of their flaws and strengths, seeking to reconcile a life with those flaws which they cannot change and the strengths they have been blessed with. In this a Jedi must be constantly looking inward for their motivations, their directions, what moves them, and why they allow it to do so.

Exterior- It is important that a Jedi be aware of the person they present to those around them, and how that will affect the dynamic of the groups they find themselves in. How one's presence is received will determine whether or not the next steps will be met with hostility or acceptance.

Virtues

Tolerance-
You do not need to agree with someone's religion, their nationality, their career choice, their dress or anything else for that matter. Tolerance is not about agreement, it is about showing respect for the freedom of a persons choices and to respect their choices, until it reaches a point in which a reasonable person would consider the individual's actions as a/an (emotionally, spiritually, financially, and/or physically) abusive threat to you or another person.

Responsibility- Responsibility is at the heart of learning to overcome our problems. A Jedi should be held responsible for all of their actions. Without it, we cannot grow, we cannot help others and we cannot justify why we are to be taken seriously.

Discipline- In order to walk the Jedi Path, you need to live by your training and by the philosophy. It is your responsibility to continue your growth throughout the rest of your life. Even while you are training with a mentor or taking a course at an order, it is discipline that will get you through to your knighthood and beyond.

Fortitude- Fortitude is the emotional strength and conviction to press forward in any given situation which poses an internal or external adversity. Developing fortitude allows a Jedi to show that they are not willing to give up until they have drawn their last breath.

Integrity- A Jedi seeks to maintain their integrity to the Jedi Code at all times. A Jedi should hold themselves to a high standard knowing that what they do when no one is looking is just as important as what they do when people are looking.

Objectivity- A Jedi trains themselves to gain as much relevant information as possible before drawing their conclusions. Once intelligence has been collected, they approach the problem with as little cultural and emotional bias as possible so that they are able to develop a decision on their next action.

Overcome

Aggression-
To build on the Jedi Virtues, a Jedi must keep themselves open to the world. Through the misuse of aggression, they miss out on opportunities to further their cause. This does not preclude being assertive. A Jedi needs to learn to find the most effective means of resolving a conflict through the least bit of hostility possible.

Recklessness- A Jedi does not take unnecessary risks, knowing that their life is important to the Jedi Mission of bettering the world around them. In overcoming recklessness, a Jedi acknowledges and is mindful of how small the impact is perceived to have on themselves or others.

Attachments- Overcoming your attachments is not about getting rid of all your possessions or even denouncing your family, instead this is about forward movement. In overcoming/subjagating your attachments, you are acknowledging what value these things have to you, and you recognize that there comes a time when you should no longer fight for your attachments, and you must let go. For a Jedi overcoming attachments can extend to bad habits, unhealthy obsessions, and connections to people that make us less who we have chosen to be.

Prowess

Defense Art-
A “Defense Art” is not necessarily physical in nature, it can be through speech, writing, diplomacy, art or a number of other options which lead to an active method of curing the world of oppression. Like many of the other disciplines, you may find that your Defense Art is the same as another art (Physical, Scholarly, or Spiritual).

Physical Art- A Jedi should seek a physical art within their capabilities which keeps them them in shape and focuses on maintaining discipline of their body. . Part of the physical art, which can be observed by all Jedi regardless of their mobility, is health. A Jedi should eat right, and maintain their health to the best of their ability.

Scholarly Art- A Jedi should seek out skills that provide benefit to them and the people around them. The search for knowledge is fundamental to Jedi as one never stops learning, seeking knowledge or bettering their skills.

Spiritual Art- A spiritual art may be as simple as developing meditation, but can go far beyond this. A Jedi may choose to develop a spiritual art aimed at connecting them with “the Force” through healing, seeking guidance, or simply developing their own self awareness.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Jestor, Alexandre Orion, Llama Su, Zenchi and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #160978 by Zenchi
Have you already decided on a publisher? Lulu will publish anything on paper...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 7 months ago #160980 by Jestor
"unification".....

Insinuates a "one organization" type goal...

This is not the case...

But rather, this project of Alethea's is just another step toward communication between orders...

Just wanted to say that...:)

Thank you again Alethea...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 7 months ago #160982 by Alethea Thompson
lol, I actually thought to clarify that, but it got lost in my thought process. Thank you for saying that Jestor. :)

Zenchi, I was looking to use CreateSpace, their the ones Opie, Jared Avery Michaels and I have used. Free publishing, they just get their cut of each book the publish and the rest goes to the person with the hold on the account. In this case, I'm going to see if I can't get it to funnel directly into whatever charity decided upon. I'm looking into the logistics.

You don't happen to know if Lulu sells on Amazon, do you?

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #160986 by
I liked the great jedi holocron, some guy named Master Hannigan had a few works in there and a number of quotes.

The book Allie is pitching is for the the community and to be honest it is not about rank or standing at this site or that site but it is and should always be about the community. Too many good people get lost on internat ranks sthat mean nothing and forget thatthe community is so much bigger then just one site.

More
9 years 7 months ago #160992 by Br. John
We certainly want to help the lost find their way. How do they go about communing with this community?

What an amusing notion that a degree earned through the Internet has no value. That the knowledge and skills gained don't have any applications in every day life. Think of all those deluded people who've earned college degrees facilitated by the Internet. All those useless masters and doctorate diplomas. What's amazing is that these people are able to get jobs and fake being nurses, school principals, accountants and administrators - to name a few.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, , Alexandre Orion, Brenna, Llama Su and 2 other people also said thanks.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 7 months ago #161005 by Jestor

Br. John wrote: We certainly want to help the lost find their way. How do they go about communing with this community?

What an amusing notion that a degree earned through the Internet has no value. That the knowledge and skills gained don't have any applications in every day life. Think of all those deluded people who've earned college degrees facilitated by the Internet. All those useless masters and doctorate diplomas. What's amazing is that these people are able to get jobs and fake being nurses, school principals, accountants and administrators - to name a few.

Sorry Alethea, I sense a derail, lol....

Did I miss something?

Honestly, I quit reading the other threads thouroughly, lol....

Was internet learning "dissed"?

And, helping the lost has to start with them seeking help, doesn't it?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 7 months ago #161006 by Zenchi

Alethea Thompson wrote: lol, I actually thought to clarify that, but it got lost in my thought process. Thank you for saying that Jestor. :)

Zenchi, I was looking to use CreateSpace, their the ones Opie, Jared Avery Michaels and I have used. Free publishing, they just get their cut of each book the publish and the rest goes to the person with the hold on the account. In this case, I'm going to see if I can't get it to funnel directly into whatever charity decided upon. I'm looking into the logistics.

You don't happen to know if Lulu sells on Amazon, do you?

Lulu is very similar, and yes they do sell through Amazon...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #161008 by Alexandre Orion

Br. John wrote: We certainly want to help the lost find their way. How do they go about communing with this community?

These days, there is no guarantee that a "real" diploma from a well-known, accredited institution will have a whole lot of value. Or two or three from two or three institutions ... How many Masters' degrees are going un-validated in daily Life because their 'market area' is saturated, or because "that sort" of knowledge doesn't fit the current value paradigm. How many Masters' or even PhDs in History, Philosophy, Litterature &c are now trying to pay back their student loans with a minimum wage job ? Let's not even talk about MFAs.

:( -- I live in that camp ...

Personally, I feel that our diplomas DO have value - real value - in teaching us how to approach Life's contrarieties. They also aid us in approaching Life's Joys. The whole value of learning anything at all is to permit us to experience Life better. It is not necessarily to have a great, fulfilling job, with great pay, that lets us live in a great house, drive a great car and show off all the outer signs of success : these are false values. Also, becoming an "expert" in something is only valu-able when one maintains the humility to not be so seduced by the notoriety that our fame exceeds our service ...

Our "Internet diplomas" may not have "recognised value" yet ... but they will. At least they are accessible to people who may not have the access, occasion or disposition to any other kind. We do live in a society founded on competition and exclusivity. It may take still a couple of generations for that to turn over, but there's no reason for us not to get started on collaborative and inclusive learning NOW.

;)

I would now support Alethea's proposal for a collaborative book project between our diverse communities (though I recall a bit not being very in-favour of the Jedi Compass Project before).

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

More
9 years 7 months ago #161015 by Breeze el Tierno
Okay, back to the thread, pre-tangent...

Alethea, do you have a sense if the best way to compile this book? Also, have you decided on a editing process for what goes in the book? It could easily balloon into a very unwieldy document.

Also, do we have any published writers around, separate from yourself, Opie, and Michael.

I wonder if it might do to have content submitted, but then have a very skilled writer ghostwrite the thing for clarity. Thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Notice: SessionHandler::gc(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/libraries/vendor/joomla/session/src/Storage/NativeStorage.php on line 135