Replied by on topic Some questions from a passer-by
What is The Force maybe?
The topic has been locked.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2016 12:03 #219444 by
For me it is the sanctity of existence and a respect for life and it's interworkings often neglected by most. I think it is a good possibilty that most Jedi here begin as fans of the films but find more than they ever dreamed within community and sense of belonging...isn't this what we all seek? Community?
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2016 12:04 #219445 by

Djavik wrote: It's just that a good deal of what I've found here is all a matter of individual perception. One asks a question and listens to their peers answer. Once an answer is received one refines his or her individual belief based on perception. I imagine all religions utilize a similar cycle, but this one seems much more embracing and willing to offer adice for lack of condemnation.

Ok, the "Simple Oath" for example says this:

"I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I, [name] born [dd/mm/yyyy], without reservation, choose the Jedi path with all its duties and responsibilities. I promise to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to live a life worthy of a Jedi."

And if we take this into consideration it must be considered what exactly are the "Jedi teachings"? If we take the 16 teachings I found for example, we have the mention of "the Force" yet no definition of it. Nevertheless, it would seem that it is a fundamental part of this faith and it makes no sense to teach something with no definition. The only definition I have is that of its origin, being the films.

A recognized religious group needs fixed beliefs and if it has no such real fixed things, why do members of it wish to be recognized as a religion?
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2016 12:06 #219446 by

Djavik wrote: For me it is the sanctity of existence and a respect for life and it's interworkings often neglected by most. I think it is a good possibilty that most Jedi here begin as fans of the films but find more than they ever dreamed within community and sense of belonging...isn't this what we all seek? Community?

Thanks for the definition. But it's your own and not anything official. So from this I guess I can conclude that "The Force" is an abstract concept with no definition whatsoever except those of the people who believe in it?
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2016 12:08 #219447 by
If you already know the answer to your questions...why ask them?
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2016 12:10 #219448 by

Djavik wrote: If you already know the answer to your questions...why ask them?

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding anything you said.

But if my last post was correct, thanks for the answer :)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2016 12:11 #219450 by
I believe you had an answer before you asked your question.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2016 12:13 #219451 by
You had "your" answer. But is it enough. Was it really sstirring the pot that brought you here? Or something more?
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2016 12:13 #219452 by

Djavik wrote: I believe you had an answer before you asked your question.

I was quite unsure whether it was that The Force was defined in terms of the film or something different, but if what you say is the general consensus among self-proclaimed Jedi, then thanks for the responses :)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2016 12:18 #219453 by
It's been a pleasure meeting you! Ive got to get some rest. I work late. Night. I pray you fin what you seek. Just keep seeking!
May The Force be with you, always.
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi