"Thanksgiving" In the US Occurs

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #364334 by Lykeios Little Raven
So, I recently decided that I will no longer celebrate "Thanksgiving."

Reasons Why, not that anyone asked:
1. The Wampanoag (the original tribe involved in the "first Thanksgiving") have been trying to educate people on what actually occurred that fateful day in late fall 400+ years ago. First of all, the Wampanoag were not even invited. They heard celebratory gunfire and were afraid of the outbreak of war. They showed up late to the three day feast with food to share and were allowed to join. Second, they hold their assistance to the white European settlers to be their greatest mistake and their people are still paying for it and still regret it to this very day. Third, most Americans have been taught, erroneously, in school that none of the original tribes that helped the "pilgrims" even still exist. This is false. Just imagine how that would feel. You're a descendant of that original tribe just attending school and some European American tells you that you and your people don't exist.

2. Thanksgiving is a horrifically capitalist holiday that has, like all well-intentioned holidays in the US (and, to some extent, the "western world" at large), been so thoroughly devalued, merchandised, and sold out that most people don't even spend the holiday being grateful or thankful for much of anything. It has become a symbol of American gluttony and excess to the point that people don't usually think of being thankful when it comes to Thanksgiving. They call it "turkey day." Or think only of how much delicious food they're going to eat, probably while ignoring Aunt Mabel while she rails against "the liberals" or how annoying the neighbors are, or whatever Aunt Mabel likes to pontificate or gossip about.

3. I am part Native American. Mostly Cherokee, but other tribes are in my blood as well. So, I view my choice to join the Wampanoag (and many other tribes) in treating "thanksgiving" as National Day of Mourning as honoring my own ancestors who, by the way, were forced down the "Trail of Tears."

4. National Day of Mourning is a "protest" holiday where the Wampanoag and allied tribes/nations of American Indians march in Plymouth, do their best to educate people on the true history of this odious and despicable holiday, mostly in vain. Have you ever heard of this holiday? Because I hadn't and it's been around since 1970.

I could go on, but that's unnecessary. For anyone who hasn't already been educated on these subjects and wants to learn, here are some educational links.

https://mashpeewampanoagtribe-nsn.gov/

http://www.uaine.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(United_States)#History

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diana W

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #364335 by Lykeios Little Raven
NOTE: I mean no disrespect to those of you who do choose to celebrate Thanksgiving. You are free to do as you please and to observe any and all holidays you enjoy. My purpose here is to educate and inform, not to debate whether Thanksgiving is a valid holiday. (It is not, but I won't argue.)

If you want to join me in a discussion about the history of the holiday and talk about better ways to mark the date, feel free to join in. Open to all opinions and points of view.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
2 years 4 months ago #364336 by Diana W
Our household doesn't really celebrate any holidays, and we are somewhat aware of 'Thanksgiving'. I think we get a special meal out of old habits from family (today it was a Pizza from a local place we've not used since the beginning of the pandemic). But we don't buy anything for any of the holidays, and totally agree that capitalism has tainted just about everything. I've never understood the quick Thanksgiving meal only to rush through it to go stand in line for the worse day of the year. I've never done the Black Friday thing, as it is a display of total greed, corruption, and toxic nastiness that humans are capable - and willing - to partake in. Cringeworthy at the highest degree.

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

More
2 years 4 months ago #364337 by Lykeios Little Raven

dwagoonie wrote: Our household doesn't really celebrate any holidays, and we are somewhat aware of 'Thanksgiving'. I think we get a special meal out of old habits from family (today it was a Pizza from a local place we've not used since the beginning of the pandemic). But we don't buy anything for any of the holidays, and totally agree that capitalism has tainted just about everything. I've never understood the quick Thanksgiving meal only to rush through it to go stand in line for the worse day of the year. I've never done the Black Friday thing, as it is a display of total greed, corruption, and toxic nastiness that humans are capable - and willing - to partake in. Cringeworthy at the highest degree.

I thoroughly agree! Sadly I have to work tomorrow and contribute to the Black Friday insanity...I'll be dragging my feet every opportunity I get. ;)

And yea, I just cooked some pho (my first attempt) for dinner. Other than that I've been learning about my Cherokee heritage/culture which I was not taught growing up, studying the history of Thanksgiving a bit, learning some Cherokee language, and giving libations/offerings to the Gods, my ancestors, and all the natives that originally walked this area of land I now call home. Planning on leaving a portion of the dinner out for them as well.

More
2 years 4 months ago #364338 by Rosalyn J
I'm aware of thanksgiving's tragic history.

It is, though, one of the only times I get to see my family...which I am quite thankful for

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, Diana W, River

More
2 years 4 months ago #364339 by Diana W
On my mom's side we have English, Dutch, and German. From my dad's side it's 60/40 German and Cherokee respectively. I've not looked into any of the cultures though. And our family never did much to look into any family history.

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

More
2 years 4 months ago #364340 by River
Yes, I have heard of a couple of alternative holidays to Thanksgiving, including the day of mourning and an indigenous person's day much like the one celebrated on what has been known as Columbus day.

Today I've been wishing people "Happy Questionable Origin But A Good Chance To Practice Gratitude Day"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, Diana W

More
2 years 4 months ago #364341 by Lykeios Little Raven

Rosalyn J wrote: I'm aware of thanksgiving's tragic history.

It is, though, one of the only times I get to see my family...which I am quite thankful for

Of course, Ros! And if that's how you celebrate the holiday then more power to you! I'm not trying to convince people to leave their existing traditions, but I would hope that the thought at least crosses their minds that this comes at the cost of hundreds of thousnds of lives.

More
2 years 4 months ago #364342 by Lykeios Little Raven
I like that, River! Very cool

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi