Anyone else here not able to visualize - Aphantasia?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #344735 by
I can feel things but not see them (unless it is a dream). Anyone else have this experience and have meditation tips? Probably should wait until my application is accepted before posing this question, but being courageous that it will not prohibit my acceptance. Many thanks to all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #344738 by Jhannuzs Ian
Thanks for asking about this situation. I would not have imagined how this word was written and I hope it is not an organic condition. I hope you detect the positive intention of my next words and I honor your question.

Here I share an exercise for you, with all my respect:

If you can write you can visualize

And

I want to suggest to put that diagnosis or label on pause,

Do not play with this practicing if your are driving, just safe in your armchair

put the Aphantasia word at the top of the Eiffel tower,
can you remember more or less the shape of that Tower?
and the color red? imagine something in red

Keep playing with this, imagine a letter, like:
E, in a red flag moving with the air at the top of that Eiffel Tower.

Maybe is just semantics, visualize, remember, paint in your mind, because you can remember the color of your door... its texture, the side of the lock and how does its sounds while opening...

You can remember a place you visited this month... Think of it... Evoke their details, not every, just some

You can remember your food of today, their colors and the souds that are present in your kitchen, maybe in a restaurant with those people moving dishes at the top of their arms... And you can imagine the voice of a friend saying... Hey I want a beer please, yes that green one, very cold...

Have fun with this

You can remember how is your face and the clothes you wore yesterday... Describe to yourself, maybe you can remember that you wanted the other clothes or another and another and your bed get full of your clothes...

Also evoking a scene of a movie like:

Remember, remember the 5th of november and maybe you will remember that mask of that man inside that movie, the elegant hat and the dramatic scenes of a woman becoming strong in the rain ... Confronting her fears and releasing her arms as wings.
If you didn't see that movie, then imagine a big Gorilla at the top of that big building, or just in the Eiffel tower with a Parisian hat and a big shirt with black and white stripes, very Frenchy, but do not imagine that King Kong dancing in the tower, could fall in a lake and get wet, so noisy that sssplashh.

And, btw, can you imagine the Eiffel tower tip down, totally upside down?

play that idea, thinking sometimes is visualizing, like remember how to write the word: Experiments.

Lets back to Eiffel please, put that tower in some big boat, like the Titanic or a big purple ship, with free ice cream with your favorite flavor and color, which color is your favorite? I hope is not mine, its taken :) And let that ship travel into the ocean but without icebergs please.

Ice cream in glass with an umbrella? Keep enjoying adding details to some object, start from one side to another... Funny details...

Ups!
Excuse me,
it starts raining again in my city, and I must go out because I let my clothes dry in the sun
I don't want my clothes to get wet, neither King Kong while dancing up there.
This rain... Uff... I need a dryer machine but I didnt find a blue one just whites, I don't want my clothes to get wet, that will be unfair, true?

By the way, if you want, imagine the tree outside my house, it is large and with orange and yellow leaves, you know, autumn travels in the wind. and leave the leaves moving everywhere.

Maybe, tomorrow while you walk somewhere, you might remember some clouds and visualize the shape of a letter,
not necessarily the letter of your name, just a running letter dancing between clouds.

A present for you, down here:

Attachment ETower.gif not found

♪ ♫ ♪
Jedi Master: Rosalyn J
Focus, discipline, integriteit, kennis en licht
My code:
The Force is all, I choose my Focus
Life includes suffering, I am Resilient
The Force include my imagination, I extract Wisdom and Harmony
Life includes adversity, I obtain Knowledge
I respect your Life, lets revitalize our Force while breathing
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex,

More
4 years 4 months ago #344741 by Rex
I had to look that up because I'm not familiar with the concept, but in no way shape or form does that impact your ability to be here.

As far as I can tell, it's not something that can be "cured" but it's also not necessarily a bad thing. Meditation doesn't have to be on an object, much less on a physical object or what it looks like. Let your mind be natural, at rest, and open - however that is for your hardware.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #344743 by
Like Rex already said, this won't affect your application process. Meditation is so much more than visualization. Here's a couple of links to help. The first is a breakdown of some broad categories of meditation. The second link is my Sifu's take on visualization in regards to qigong (which is a type of meditation).

https://www.thespiritualwayfinder.com/2018/10/10/an-introduction-to-meditation/

https://flowingzen.com/4802/the-truth-about-visualization/
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by . Reason: Typo

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #344748 by Adder
For me visualization is easy enough, as imagination and memory working together strongly, but seeing vivid imagery is harder. And opening that door also can bring with it some signal noise from the subconscious image apparatus seemingly. So the areas of Threshold Consciousness seems to be how/where I access this. Which means relaxing and taking ones time is important. But my conscious mind is usually busy, so its not something i have been anle to get into lately. 

To ease anxiety about it (that might be counterproductive to experiencing it), imagine everyone exxagerrates and that by and large most folk basically have aphantasia. This way you can more easily work with darkness as something other then failure, for if the images exist in the dark then one must be comfortable resting there. 
For me it's usually a piece by piece process ie create rather then watch. Try using memory of somewhere so the sensory experiences of there build up feelings of being there in the present. That then can very discreetly cast familiarity into a scene such that one feels drawn into it more and more. The level of mental image probably depends on the richness of the memory though, but working in this way might open up skill at it such that you can switch to a imagining and seeing a single substance, like a color, maybe a dot or ball. 
That level is where my baseline on call high fidelity is, at the moment. Though I often can see and play with a flowing sheet of white, which can form images or scenes.

But if you can then draw that ball out into a line, then a next step could be to generate wireframe primitive shapes. From there you can project these out in all manner of landscape or structure. But I feel there is only so much power available at any one time, so complexity might scale up slowly. You might even get blasts of rich images like visions from time to time if you've made enough progress that the mind can access that threshold consciousness.... like hypnagogic or hypnopompic visions. It can also alter normal waking perception at times, unless that is my misspent youth catching up with me.
At the end of the day I'm not sure the science on it is objective enough to draw strong conclusions about the fidelity of the minds eye.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #344755 by
I thank you Jhannuzs Ian for your wisdom and will give it a try. Much obliged, honored, and humbled. Sounds like fun (probably will try when I get home from work today). My sincere thanks.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #344757 by
Very helpful and kind. Thank you for the reassurance and wisdom. I will continue on the path to wisdom. It is nice to be in the company of people who care. Thanks to all.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #344758 by
The links were extremely helpful. One of the first things my reiki instructor taught was that without being able to visualize we would not develop the skills and that I had blocked the visualization ability due to traumatic experiences. I completely disagree with this. My kitten could sense the energy ball I was creating even though I couldn't see it :side:
Thank you for sharing these.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi