Physical Temples

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91512 by
Replied by on topic Re: Physical Temples
So if it's a "barn" per say, where do they draw the line? If people start living there how does that change things? Do we only need to "say" it's a barn? What are the requirements?

So has anyone experienced working with non traditional building materials like rammed earth, straw, or other earthen homes? Who ultimately do we need permission from to build and where can we find the 'standards' it must be built to?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 months ago #91516 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Physical Temples

Proteus wrote: I wonder what a religion like Christianity would have been like if people didn't feel adamant on needing to build a church for it...

Good question...I wonder how any of the mainstream religions would of turned out...guess we could ask Jerusalem and Palestine....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
11 years 2 months ago #91519 by RyuJin

Jabi Musah wrote: So if it's a "barn" per say, where do they draw the line? If people start living there how does that change things? Do we only need to "say" it's a barn? What are the requirements?

So has anyone experienced working with non traditional building materials like rammed earth, straw, or other earthen homes? Who ultimately do we need permission from to build and where can we find the 'standards' it must be built to?

Local governments and local building codes would have the answers....

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #91522 by
I would presume that if we were taught Christianity as it was meant to be (we are all a Temple of God), a physical temple, church, synagog, would not be necessary. We must be willing to accept that some people need a place to gather in fellowship to learn more of their religion. This is not a bad thing. Learning to pray, to meditate, or to regain ones center, based on their religion, is a recognition that as a human, we could always use help at times.

I myself would like to have a retreat to steal away to for rejuvenation. As of now, I head to the forest, the desert, or the mountains.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
11 years 2 months ago #91523 by RyuJin
Humans are social animals by nature....we seek out those with whom we share interests with....temples provide social centers in which to commune with other like minded individuals....

My mom is southern baptist...and she always told us that our bodies were "the lords temple"....as such we were never forced to go to church...

Likewise when I seek to get away I go to the woods, or the lake, etcetera...I've also made my room into a pretty nice hide away for solitude

Quotes:

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #91531 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Re: Physical Temples
Wow that's a lot of posts with a lot of great ideas! I'll try to give input on as many as I can:

1. The Existing House: This is probably the best way to go. For $60k you get some structures, a well, power, phone, land, etc. This has actually been proven to work well for several intentional communities as a model. More info would be helpful. Can it be expanded? What are the regulation limits?

2. Shipping containers: While these seem cheap, they're not. By the time you do all the steel cutting and welding and deal with the insulation, it probably costs more than standard building materials. I mean they're great if you need to build underground survival units but building a structure above-ground out of steel and then making it a comfortable place for humans can be costly.

3. Cheap vs CHEAP: I did lots of research into low-cost construction. The least expensive way to go is to buy a compressed earth brick-maker. You put in dirt and out comes bricks. All you need is labor. With one of these you could have an infinite number of Jedi come live at the temple and build their own homes with their own labor. You could put up a brick wall surrounding the property... pave a brick road... make a shop... make a dojo...make a temple...etc.

There's a project called the Global Village Construction Set which has a brickmaker and other useful tools for CHEAP. You could also pass these tools along for the construction of temple #2, #3 etc.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Whyte Horse.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91532 by
well i deffintly wouldnt be bulit with straw lol. im thinking rail road ties and cement. perferabally a monlithic slab with the states code of preminter inslulation off set form the sides of the footer with a double matted reinforce rebar mat ththere will have too be a thicked slab running down the middle and sides snice it will be too storys with a attic area the rail ties think like buliding with legos space then kinda like they are 8ftlong and 12inchs wide so if you where to stack them two feet apart the first row and then your next coruse offset them agin to leave a two foot space you could form a concrete block wich on the next course would be a railroad tie snice the offset wpould be wod block wood blod kinda thing the floors them self would be raidant heat and as ive said before nobody will say anything about a barn that people live in its just a small town small county and i own the land so i dont need permission form no one a simple buliding permit is all thats nessary seeing as how i have electrical and water hook ups

More
11 years 2 months ago #91541 by Whyte Horse

david tatum wrote: well i deffintly wouldnt be bulit with straw lol. im thinking rail road ties and cement. perferabally a monlithic slab with the states code of preminter inslulation off set form the sides of the footer with a double matted reinforce rebar mat ththere will have too be a thicked slab running down the middle and sides snice it will be too storys with a attic area the rail ties think like buliding with legos space then kinda like they are 8ftlong and 12inchs wide so if you where to stack them two feet apart the first row and then your next coruse offset them agin to leave a two foot space you could form a concrete block wich on the next course would be a railroad tie snice the offset wpould be wod block wood blod kinda thing the floors them self would be raidant heat and as ive said before nobody will say anything about a barn that people live in its just a small town small county and i own the land so i dont need permission form no one a simple buliding permit is all thats nessary seeing as how i have electrical and water hook ups

Suppose, hypothetically, a bunch of Jedis decide to come live there. Also suppose there's a media frenzy and a bunch of reporters come and put it on the news... Finally, suppose busloads of tourists start stopping by there like they do to the Amish communities. It would be wise to get the right permits before-hand.

More
11 years 2 months ago #91543 by Whyte Horse
More on shipping containers:
The price for a 20′ shipping container (not including delivery) can range from $2500 to $4000. You can stick build a building with the same amount of square footage, that is just as water tight and structurally sound using traditional construction methods for less than the cost of a shipping container – it just won’t weigh as much.

Do you live near a port and have a really big truck?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
11 years 2 months ago #91547 by RyuJin
The weight and strength of steel containers would hold up to cat5 hurricanes better than anything stick built...I live in florida, and we have some of the strictest requirements in regards to hurricane code...to build anything in excess of the current codes costs considerable money...I've done job costing several times...to build an add-on enclosed 8 foot by 12 foot porch to code cost a customer 5000 dollars...that was materials,permits,and labor....and the slab was already installed....no matter what materials/method you use it's a constant weighing of cost/material/life of project....

Quotes:

The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi