Physical Temples

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #91405 by
Replied by on topic Re: Physical Temples
LOL, I was relating to which "country" the majority of members were located. I fully understand that with only a few hundred (if that) members, trying to find a decent sized group of members in any one location is pretty redundant...
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 months ago #91412 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Physical Temples
In regards to the personal info bit, well if someone chose to steal my identity...they'd be doing me a favor :laugh: besides I've googled my name and found hundreds of others with the exact same name, spelling and all...and if they were to try and find me to cause some sort of harm....well best of luck with that, hope they bring an army and pack a lunch because I'm never more than a few inches from a weapon and I'm always ready to teach someone the error of their ways :evil:

Back on topic, there would have to be a temple in each country to avoid any sort of alienation due to geographical location...in a way the online temple is superior in terms of range...admittedly I would love to go to a physical temple.... (i'd have to be dragged away :laugh: ) maybe when teleportation is possible we can build one grand temple...teleportation or hypertravel

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91413 by

V-Tog wrote: I actually removed my exact location from my profile a couple of months ago, largely for the reasons that you listed.

I've since done that. There was a policy question I had to get clarified; once I got the answer I needed, I made the changes as appropriate.

There are times when it's nice to have a super-common combination of names, EXCEPT: I also match a no-fly lister. I had a hell of a time getting back from Japan in 2006; I guess that crew never went through an identity verification sequence before. They were scared I was actually plotting something; security was summoned and standing [they thought] out of my field of vision.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91417 by

RyuJin wrote: Back on topic, there would have to be a temple in each country to avoid any sort of alienation due to geographical location...

Good point, Ryujin. I dunno that it wouldn't be better to just set up little shops (to cover that issue), then let each build up to its own full-sized temple at its own pace.

Teleporter? Ugh, the abuse it would be used for ....

Me first!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #91429 by
This is a building designed using 20' shipping containers. It uses 60 containers total. 15 per floor. My original thoughts were to have the first floor be for some small businesses like a coffee shop, sandwich shop, smoothies, whole foods grocery, etc. The second floor would be the holistic training institue. The platform you see on the 2nd floor would be the dojo, and the rooms around it would be locker rooms, work out equipment, and offices for personal trainer/adviser/physical therapist. The third and fourth floor would be micro apartments. They would have to be applied for and people would be able to stay based on needs and purpose for staying there. (much more about this) The framwork in the center between floors 2 and 3 is made from wooden beams and will have hanging (food) plants hopefully bordering each beam to give more privacy to the dojo below but allow sunlight from the skylight type celing (which might be a geodesic dome :P ). Lights for the dojo are also attached underneath the beam structure with dimming capabilities for setting the mood for meditation sessions.

Anyway, here are some pictures...

Attachment DojoJPG1-01.jpg not found

Attachment DojoJPG2-01.jpg not found

Attachment DojoJPG3-01.jpg not found

Attachment DojoJPG4-01.jpg not found

Attachment DojoJPG5-01.jpg not found

(had some troubles with the pics, but there they are)

This last image is from the 4th floor balcony looking down at the (eventually) plant covered beams. As you can see, the railings are made with plant trays that run around the circumference of each floor. The top is a standard hand rail.

This would be my take on the urban micro temple idea. It can still handle quite a number of people but isn't a multi-million dollar project. In fact, it should be quite inexpensive for what all it would offer. A key feature being its repeatability. Once the initial work has been done for the first one (including building construction and inspections, liability issues, and what not) more of these could be built wherever the land could be found. Granted there being slight variances from state to state and country to country. But already having one up and running can help alot when it comes to getting permissions to build somewhere else.

Some additional notes of design;
- Two containers per floor (on opposite sides) will be converted to stairwells.
- The outside ends of the containers will be closed off with double pane window with solar shades between the panes. (or that's what I'd like to do.)
- On the second floor, about two of the containers would be mostly empty with a large flat pannel TV on one wall. There people can follow yoga, tai chi, ect instructional videos any time of day with as few or as many people you want. That way there's no need to adhere to set class times for everything. These rooms could also be rented out on first come first serve basis for quiet meditation or LED TV guided meditation. Seat cushions are in the equipment container.
- I would also like to use one container and sub divide it into sound proof closets for meditation. Being about 5 separate rooms in that one container. Each would face the adjoining open area between the next container, which would be turned into a nice rock garden to look at or something.
- And I don't know if you already noticed, but between each container is a balcony created by the roof of the container a floor below. Each container then would have outside access to a private balcony.
- The outside (and possibly inside) of the metal containers would be covered with some type of insulative material like stucco, mud or cement.
- And lastly (for now :P ) I would like to convert the roof into a grass covered chill area with maybe some small hills for sitting on and cloud watching.

Peace,
Matt
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 months ago #91432 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Physical Temples
Shipping container construction is certainly a unique way to build big on a smaller budget...I've been designing underground homes using containers for a bit over a year now...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91435 by
Ok, so "comply" was not the right term. What I really meant to highlight is no body knows who to meet up with in order to establish local Jedi meetings. I don't know who's in my area to invite an gain support. Good luck with raising a temple when we can't event establish strong local chapters.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91438 by
とっても凄い, Matt!! This is awesome research and layout! .... More comments in a moment; my wife is blowing on my neck .... :p

More
11 years 2 months ago #91441 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Physical Temples
I believe the location listing in the profile allows plenty of latitude. If for some reason someone did not want to be too specific they could list a state or geographic area.

Founder of The Order

More
11 years 2 months ago #91443 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Physical Temples
I think you can put whatever you like in it.

Mine says UK, but I think if I wanted to put 'V-Tog's awesome house of awesomeness' it would let me... :silly:

B.Div | OCP

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi