Physical Temples

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #90783 by
Physical Temples was created by
This topic is for the discussion pertaining to developing physical temples for Jedi. There have been many post, even on this site, on the topic of forming a physical temple, and this is like them with one exception; this is, as of now, the most recent. Things change, people come and go, so the 'real' situation of this topic constantly changes. I honestly feel a format all it's own would suit this topic best, but considering the current situation, this is what we have.

So what can we discuss about temples?...

What types of temples are we talking about and what requirements should they meet? (Location, setting, resources, etc)
Who is interested in which types and how do they see themselves being involved?
What legal steps need to be taken (specific to the country in which they'll be built)

And other aspects involved in their creation.

Ready.... GO!
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #90809 by
Replied by on topic Re: Physical Temples
As I see it, there are several 'types' of temples we keep looking at making.

A remote monastery. This is far from civilization where long periods of focus and training can be conducted. Deep in nature and off the grid. For about 1 to 15 people at a time.

A retreat center. This is relatively close to civilization. 45 min or less to a major population center. This is a well established facility with boarding for up to 30 to 60 people. Staffed and ran by volunteers or paid employees. Daily classes in things like martial arts, meditation, sensing the Force, fitness, etc. Open to the public. Cost to attend classes, cost for boarding, but available work/study program by application and approval.

A urban micro temple. Like a fitness club franchise with daily classes, fitness equipment, meditation garden and the like. Membership and day passes available. Staffed by volunteers or paid employees. Could potentially include boarding for volunteers. These have the potential to include more or less as local group deems necessary.

A designated gathering site. This could be added to any of these other options. Primarily a camp site with large discussion rings/ fire pits, training equipment and obstacle courses (safety considerations), RV hook ups, rentable tents, and other facilities deemed necessary for the conduct of large Jedi functions and training events.

A grand temple. This is listed for the sake of a complete list. This is a large built up facility designed for the training and coordination of many Jedi world wide. This will also be built with the possibility of large amounts of visitors like tourists or temporary students. Professionally operated with adequate planning for safety of visitors as well as to insure that effective training can still take place.

A temporary temple. This is someone's house they use as a gathering site for Jedi activities. This could also include local churches or conventions centers. They are under temporary usage by Jedi and provide minimal to no overnight boarding for non-resident Jedi.

We can use these for discussion but additions and changes will be made as the ideas progress. This will hopefully help us focus in on the specifics to achieve each one as we get closer to them actually happening.

Note: I don't see why there can't be more than one of each. However, once one is up and running, the next should be easier.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90821 by
IMHO, this is what we need to do.

a. Get better communication between those who are interested in making something like this happen.

b. Clarify which one we are working toward.

c. Weigh out the must haves and the would likes.

d. Outline the steps NECESSARY to accomplish our task.

e. Start filling in those pieces of the puzzle.

a. We have the forum right now, wich is great! But I went back through the old pages of topics and found over 6 different topics about making a physical temple. The problem was when I tried to get in touch with those people. Most of their profile's were non-existant. I couldn't click on their names. Also, most of the people in the discussion hadn't been on for YEARS. So I think it would be very beneficial to have peoples actual emails or phone numbers (or private facebook group) so that over whatever length of time these efforts take, we can recontact those who might still be interested even though their online activity has diminished.

b. Just for the sake of clear efforts. We can still work simultaneously on more than one, but we can easily argue points that we wouldn't if we considered the different types. It seems each one has its own specific purpose, so we should be specific which one we talking about when we're discussion their details.

c. This can be done easily on forums. I look forward to talking over these things with everyone. Even by myself I can talk reasons for and against the same idea for something.

d/e. This is super important if we ever want to make one of these work. Either an individual will do this on their own, or the group as a whole will do this. This can go down to the littlest detail and be constantly edited, but it will allow us to see our progress and where our next steps lie.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #90838 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Re: Physical Temples
Let me make it clear - I'm ALL for having some sort of physical Temple/Temples/School/whatever. I think it would be really amazing and could do a lot of good for the world, let alone those who wish to follow the Jedi path.

I don't think this is something that should be rushed into though. It's not something that will take place for years yet in all likelihood, and even if it does I wouldn't advise planning for it to be completed at a sooner pace. All things in their own time. So yes, discussion on the topic, serious, rational, concentrated discussion (maybe in a pinned topic?) is a good idea, but it's not something that we can expect to just force into being. The people here don't work like that (from what I've seen), and I certainly don't feel like pushing anything on this front.

I also think that the council needs to offer their concentrated, unified opinion on this long before we got to any sort of actual planning stage for anything physical.

So it's probably really great to keep things moving, I just don't think anyone should expect results at any sort of earth-shattering speed. Sometimes slower is better.

(Just my two cents, for what it's worth).

EDIT: Also, there is a thread currently devoted to this topic...

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Locksley.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90849 by
@ JABI:

I appreciate your thoughtful posts on this matter.. a topic breeched many times. You have some good insights...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90866 by
So, what DOES the high hierarchy think about this? It's hard to get behind an idea when the heads' opinions aren't known (for us "newer" people).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90873 by
This has been discussed in other threads many many times... the reason more senior members don't post? Because we have said things before and would be repeating ourselves. Again. There are more important things that can be done with regards to Jediism and TotJO than building a physical temple. Those are the things we are focussing on for now

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90874 by
I'm saddened to hear that. As was commented way above, it seems like this concept is something only newbies (like me) think about, but then it goes by the wayside. This is the "information age" so online collaboration is the way we're going to reach the most people; that's a given. But sometimes, a place to congregate is better. I can't concentrate at home; too many distractions (leaf blower, wife, mailman, neighbor's barking dog, ...). But, I won't go on; there are others who have probably made the same arguments. It boils down to support: no one will chip-in dollar one until people believe there's a full-steam support vehicle behind it.

Locally, small "churches" run by renting a room in an office building for 2 hours every Sunday to have their services. Some rent for the entire day so there can be bible studies. Self-organized retreats also work (say, twice a year, where everyone pays their own expenses). There are many corporate and non-corporate ways that there can be "local community centers for Jedi congregation" if we really explore all possibilities.

Lastly, a pinned, single-location thread where this can be seen might open better-organized discussion and collaboration. But, that's just me: I'm new and I only know small words. I can't rally people. *Shrug* 仕様が無いのかい?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90877 by
Jabi Musah: [if interested] see my recent post re: another option to add to your list (weekly meeting location).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90931 by
Well on the 'chipping in' part. TotJO only really has enough financing (as far as I'm aware) to keep the site up...

Maybe if we don't struggle to keep TotJO's online presence going we could start thinking about funding some sort of offline presence as well...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi