Attention to orders...

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 9 months ago #5514 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Attention to orders...
That`s quite intersting. Thanks Br.Dhagon.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5527 by
Replied by on topic Re:Attention to orders...
Dhagon Krayt wrote:

762 grains is kind of military jargon for 7.62 milimeter bullets.
The ones used mostly up to (I think, not sure about this one) about the vietnam era, when they came out with the first m-16 which is a 5.56 milimeter round. Also the 7.62 round is still the primary sized ammunition for Snipers and the smaller automatic weapons still used in most militaries, including the United States.

There is also a clothing line out now, you can probably find on line, that uses motivational mititary slogans and pictures for the different branches that is called something like 762 clothing or something like that.

If anyone can add to this or clarify it more, for our non-military members, please do, I'm always willing to learns something I didn't know 5 minutes ago. Unfortunately I'll probably forget it 5 minutes after, but hey, atleast I knew it once right!

DK

Actually, I was referring to the powder charge of the MA2 .50 Barret Sniper rifle, 762 gr. of diplomacy!!!! HOOAH!

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 9 months ago #5528 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Attention to orders...
Thats powerful! Explosive! :evil:

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5531 by
See, even I learned something from this, I didn't know that, but it makes since still. I guess it comes from my inexperience in the M2 .50 cal, though the M240 is my baby, I'd have to concider the MK19 my mistress, that I only get to see on the side from time to time and the .50 cal would be like that super model that you can get close to but never quite touch. To put it in hormonally charged guy talk. LMAO
DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5533 by
Just as a matter of technicality:

7.62 x 51mm is the standard .308 cal round used in a multitude of military and civilian weapons, including, but not limited to, the M60, M240B, M240C, M14, M24SWS, M40A1ASW, and a few others.

Gr. or grain weight can refer to two things: 1. The weight of the projectile itself, which is MOST common. 2. The amount of powder used to fire the projectile, which is rarely used because there are different types of powder that yield much different ballistic results. In 99% of cases, when someone refers to grain weight, they are talking about the weight of the round, itself.

The Barret M82A1SASR(Special Application Scoped Rifle) typically fires the M33. This is a 12.7 x 99mm, 671grain, copper-jacketed, steel-cored, penetrator round in practice and general usage, and uses a Fin/Swed specialty ammo called Raufoss Mk 211, which is an armor piercing, explosive tip, incendiary tracer...ONLY used in engagement against enemy material targets and targets of special interest.

Current Geneva convention policy prohibits this weapon being used against personnel, but is conveniently ignored...not that I will complain...if the Bad Guys were given the chance, they most certainly would not hesitate to use it against us!

I specialized in Light Weapons, so if there are ever any questions, please feel free to ask. I still teach tactical home and personal defense, firearms safety, and I build custom AR15 rifles and 1911 pistols as a hobby.

This is a subjec that I am TOTALLY into!

Master KF

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5545 by
I wouldn't say convienently ignored, after all anything including clothes on the enemy's body is concidered material is it not? So it would be a material target, there is always a way around it, not to mention, the US never actually signed the geneva convention though we do abide by it for the most part.

DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5550 by
To All:

I must offer a minor retraction and correction:

After some discussion with a colleague still in military special operations briefly after I made this post, it was brought to my attention that apparently the rules governing the use of this weapon against opposition personnel have been changed in my absence. I figured I better go and check my facts real quick, and was curious to see what is being done differently these days. This matter is still under HEAVY debate by MANY world authorities and humanitarian groups...but then...we don't report to world authorities...do we?!? :-)

NOTE: There is a widespread misconception that a number of treaties have banned use of the .50 BMG against human targets, and recruits have been advised by generations of drill instructors to only aim a .50 BMG at an enemy soldier's web gear or other equipment worn on his body. However, the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's office has issued a legal opinion that the .50 BMG and even the Raufoss Mk 211 round are legal for use against enemy personnel. (source: wikipedia)

I stand corrected. As a former Soldier *and* Sailor, I am not now, nor have I ever been, opposed to using whatever force is necessary to accomplish the mission. I have a very simple philosophy of: \"Frag Out!\"

I think that the pschological impact of the flamethrower was
irreplacable, but it's use is now forbidden...unless that has changed, too.;-) Too many people view war as a game, or a chess match. This feeling alters when YOU are the one on the ground watching it play out and watching your friends make the ultimate sacrifice.

Suddenly, people are no longer all too concerned with whether or not it hurts to die in war. Our opponents have never shown us any mercy or compassion, I don't understand why we owe them any. War is war, after all.

\"Material\" most often refers to hard targets, such as vehicles and mobile missile launchers, radio posts and the like. The argument that your opponent's helmet is a piece of gear is often used, but still under very heavy scrutiny. The use of any incendiary or explosive projectile over 400grams weight has been, and likely will remain, forbidden. (Under the St Petersburg Declaration of 1868, althought we did not technically *sign it*, we would still be held accountable to it, were we to engage those who have...ROE tends to suck...a LOT.)

May the Force be with, and Bless our Troops, until they all come home...

KF

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi