The Last Question

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #888 by
Replied by on topic Re:The Last Question
I might add that if you, GuyFawkes, intend no disrespect, you work on your wording. As this is an online forum we don't know how you are speaking these words, and as far as I can tell at least you're not being respectful. \"Golly, Brother John\" isn't exactly the most repsectful intro. Furthermore,

\"
Isn't that illegal????

Like, in a Federal sense? Ya know, copyright infringment.
\"

and

\"BTW, here IS this thingy from the, uhm United States Copyright Office:\"

I don't know where you learned to see these as respectful points, but it looks a lot more like sarcasm.

Not to mention implying Br. Whiteman would be twisting the legal words of US documentation. Have you been around or did you just decide to speak up now in order to instigate?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #889 by
i am quite interested. From where do you join us Mr. Fawkes?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #890 by
I have been following (not sure the best wording here) this forum/site/temple for some time. (Please, if the preceeding is not the right wording, forgive me. I am simply not sure how to put it.) I chose to become a member today so that I could express true concern that there MAY be some infringment.

And, yes, there was some sarcasm in the follow-up post(s), but none was intended for the first one.

As for \"implying Br Whiteman would be twisting the legal words of US documentation\", I was merely saying that the \"fair use doctrine\" does not cover usage such as this. Hence my stating that the doctrine was either misconstrued or twisted.

Perchance I stated that wrong. As I don't know Br Whiteman, I meant no disrespect to him.

Were I to be trying to \"instigate\" something, there a multitude of different ways I could have gone about it.

And yet, as a freelance programmer, musician, and writer, I believe strongly in the Copyright laws of the United States, and will react if I see them being, in my understanding, abused.

Ta.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #891 by
Well you obviously have a breadth of knowledge in this field. And how is that you have come to join us in the order? Have you been practicing Jediism long?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #892 by
Well then I appologise for being abrupt in my interpretations. It still stands that in a textual based conversation, gramatical tact is valuable, but I am glad to see where you are coming from. In that, I might add that I agree, we do not want to cause any copywright infringements. Furthermore, now that you are officially joined, welcome.
My name is Rev. Jedi Cedric, I am apprentice to Master Whiteman. If anyone appreciates the adherence to the law it would be Master Whiteman:-)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #895 by
Replied by on topic Re:The Last Question: GuyFawkes
Thank you all for your defense and good perceptions.

We are legally using this under the fair use doctrine and our corporate charter says we are organized for religious and educational purposes. There is also the doctrine of harmless error.

I've read this story in so many different publications I don't who The Publisher is but if they're really worked up about it I found five online copies within two minutes of googleing so they have a big row to hoe.

http://www.goyette.biz/last-question.html

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3509/Isaac-Asimov-The-Last-Question

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:www.aronson.co.il/adin/TheLastQ.htm

http://interconnected.org/notes/2003/05/last-query.html

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

GuyFawkes is a person from TOTJForce and The Praxeum. He's used this same name before on other sites and I've already disabled that account as junk (It was just created today). Just ignore him and don't hold any ill will. I don't even have the heart for a zingy comeback knowing what I know about this one ... I can barely manage AWSOP (a weak smile of pity).

Again, members, thank you for your confidence and your willingness to defend The Order and myself. While his intention was harassment, none of you responded with a flame war but as Jedi so what he accomplished was to make my day and make me proud to have you here in The Order.

Br. John

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #896 by
THank you Br. John.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #897 by
I was fairly certain that we were not in the wrong, however I am not a legal expert I am a theatre and literature expert, so I had very little ability to combat this in a real way. So I simply chose the act of love and acceptance and asked HesinRaca to do the same. there was no real reason for any anger here I don't believe.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #905 by
remember remember the 16th of April it doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #908 by
It certainly doesn't.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi