A jedi must help is is in your hands?

More
12 years 2 months ago #51470 by 666
this is a question, that can have a short or long answer.
don't know yet if there is a true answer, if there are objections or not, so here the question
As a real Jedi, we MUST do what is in our hands to help others.
As a real Jedi, we MUST do what is in our hands to help others?
Where is our limit?
How much you give of you or your possessions?
When is ok to look to the other side?
How bad is to look to the other side?
How often you look to the other side?

As a Jedi I prefer to think I do not deliberate help people, I just look to balance the force in my surrounding
my limit is as far I can go
I wish to never look to the other side. but I am human, I do mistakes, and not in porpoise, but I did look to the other side , just with any excuse, time, job, or any other valid or not.
shame on me, but believe me, I am doing my best, to change that behavior

I didn't answer all my questions ... what about you?

MTFBWY

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51471 by
I believe that we are supposed to try to do our best in helping others, without putting ourselves at risk. I see no logic in losing your job, just to console a person in need. Doing that brings stress into your own life, and then what good are you? Now you are not only taking in that persons problems, but you are having to deal with your own as well.

I think it is ok to turn the other way, but only when you make it clear that you are wanting to help, but that you don't want to put yourself into a situation that will hurt you. There is nothing wrong with that. It may seem selfish, but wouldn't it be selfish if the person seeking help didn't care if you lost your job or not, just as long as they got the help they wanted? That's why if I were ever in need, I would not look down on a friend who refused to help because of issues it would cause for him/her. That would be selfish of me.

Just because you look the other way, that doesn't make you a bad person. Not as long as you are doing so with good reason. That's just my opinion, though. There have been several time that I put other WAY before myself, and it did NOT turn out well for me, and it put me in a position that turned my life around in a negative way.

So you just have to be careful. Seriously consider all the options and consequences. If you can't help someone yourself, turn them to someone who can. In doing so, you are still helping them.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51481 by
As Jedi we should do something to help others but this help can contain very different things. Sometimes we can help someone with physical things, sometimes we can help with some pep talk. We can give hope or joy as it is said in the Jedi Creed or at least a good advise. It depends on the situation what we could do, what we should do and where out limits are.
Often there are situations where we can't do that much.
I look to the other side if I don't see a chance to help someone but if I know the person I try to help if he wants my help.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51492 by
Excellent questions for a key topic.

IMHO, I absolutely believe we should extend a hand to others in need. There are countless opportunities and things we could do the most important of which is to be prepared. Failure to prepare is fool hardy if not dangerous.

Within ourselves we must possess the tools to “look at the other side” and not be swayed by it. Our core strength comes from training in the Jedi Way but knowledge and knowing what to do is the easy part. Gaining control of our minds through Breathing and Meditation, preparing them to understand this knowledge and apply it in daily practice is where the rubber meets the road.

TOTJO is full of resources but it will not have all the info you need for every situation. If you would like to help the homeless get in touch with an organization in your area committed to it like HUD or Covenant House. Ask them what you need to do.

This is one of the things Joseph Campbell refers to with the Hero’s Journey. We come to the turning point by answering the call of that “ticking inside of us”. Then, the maturation process (knowledge, training, application) prepares us to look the devil in the eye and not waver. Our returning is the phase of life where we are able and in a position to help others and pass on what we have learned. Simply put:

-See (the need)
-Learn (get info and prepare)
-Do (execute).
-Return (pass it on)

We will take several of these journeys in our lifetime so I would recommend we not be too hasty. Recognize what your own strengths and weaknesses are and stack them up against the task at hand.

Are you prepared? Use your own strengths those of others to shore up your weaknesses.

Know yourself, Learn/Train, Practice – I believe this will allow you to go forth, look at any side and return intact.

Humbly,

Jax

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #51493 by
B) jLuke chapter 6: 30-

"Give to every man who asketh of thee, and from he who taketh away thy goods, ask him not again.

Meaning: give only for the sake of giving, without desire of recompense.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by .

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #51494 by Proteus
Before you go out to help the world, first make sure you have the ability to help yourself. This enables you to actually have something to give. The more you empower yourself with everything from knowledge to wisdom to materials and money, the better you will be at helping others and the more resources you will be able to allot to those in need.

Some of us have more of one or more resources than others. Those of us who are in financial poverty for example, tend to have a great amount of knowledge or wisdom to give. Others may not have the same knowledge or wisdom but money may have less value to them because they have plenty of it.

Make sure you know which of these you are most functional in and run with it. If you have ambitions for doing more however, give yourself the time and effort to build those resources that you are weak on, so you can add it to what you currently do have to give.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Proteus.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51495 by
I will analyse each situation as it comes up but generally I will always try to help when and where I can.

My limit depends on the situation, the amount I risk depends on the need. I have been fortunate in my time so far not to be severely tested but I believe that I would risk anything, including my life, for the life of another. However none of us have anyway of knowing how we will respond to a given situation until it arises.

I do not give up all of my time as I would not function properly and effectively if I never had some time to relax. I am an introvert so I need some alone time to re-charge my batteries. I also dedicate some of my time to self-improvement such as meditation, exercise and learning, which I believe will benefit others as much as myself.

Possession wise I do not have much to give away to be honest. I am certainly not poor but I do not have much disposable income. I have what I need however and have no desire to be wealthy. The more you've got the more you've got to lose! I believe that I am quite generous and I certainly am not attached to anything I own.

I am only human so there are times when I do look away from a persons needs, but this would be when I am particularly tired or having analysed the situation I deem the needs of another or my own needs to be more important.

Since joining TOTJO and becoming a Jedi I know that my attitude to helping others has definitely improved. A combination of the temple doctrine, what I have learned about the Force and the inspiring words of my fellow Jedi have motivated me to try harder in many ways.

"For it is in giving that we receive".

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #51498 by
The measure to me is pretty simple. Will my help benefit the world? If by helping I'm only enabling or I'm creating a zero-sum situation then there was no benefit. Wisdom to know what actions will truly be of benefit is key. The level of sacrifice is irrelevant to me, my only requirement is that it not be futile.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by . Reason: punctuation

More
12 years 2 months ago #51507 by Proteus

Red Lila wrote: The measure to me is pretty simple. Will my help benefit the world? If by helping I'm only enabling or I'm creating a zero-sum situation then there was no benefit. Wisdom to know what actions will truly be of benefit is key. The level of sacrifice is irrelevant to me, my only requirement is that it not be futile.

I agree completely. It's necessary to learn when it truly is necessary to use your resources to help another since there is a good share of people out there who are, what some call "energy vampires" for example and some will no hesitate to simply use you without heed. Learn how to spot these people. They are not bad per sey as people, but many have agendas that simply tend to be misinformed if not simply selfish due to one reason or another.

Also, if you know where and when you can give a hand in which makes the most impact possible, it's good to focus on those areas up front, and move on to the next most impacting after.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi