Detachment as I see it

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50894 by
Replied by on topic Re: Detachment as I see it
Greetings Each

I do love posts like this as it brings the individuality out in all of us. Each with his or hers view neither of which is right or wrong in my view. If your attachment or detachment is done for the right reason or to benefit others.

From my own point of view I would like to give you a few examples of each. If I am training in my arts I am totally detached from everything my focus is only on what I am doing at any given second. When I am teaching or grading I detach myself from my students they are not my friends they are Judoka and neither Male or Female . Family matters comes complete attachment to their needs and wants. A paramedic for instance giving first aid will be totally focused on saving his patients life .

I would also agree totally you cannot detach from the Force or Ki as I call it because you are part of it.

I would also point out it does take practice to make a detachment. I have made reference to something like this in a post concerning the Great Learning. When you have no doubt in your mind things are easy to do. With a clear empty mind you can detach or attach. Take this as an example. If you happen to eves drop on a conversation which a group of total strangers are engaged in which you find very interesting would you be able to allow yourself to join in ? Are you Clear or do you have doubt at being accepted ?....ah the thrill of it lol

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50901 by
Attachment and detachment both are fine as long as they are accompanied by awareness of them and acceptance. Its through ignorant action or resistance to them that they become influencing over us in negative ways.

By the same all attachments come to an end and this must be accepted just as well as the losing of detachment. If one cloisters themselves away from attachments they often become attached to their cloistered life instead. Even if they do not, any objective knowledge gained in the process will not be used in the best possible way without at least some attachments.

In general I find it best to remain detached, if possible, about those things you have difficulty accepting so that your objective reasoning can take hold and your judgement remain sound. In all other things, forming bonds of compassion and love will only strengthen you and you must use that strength while its there, both to help others, and to gird yourself for when those attachments come to an end.

More
12 years 2 months ago #50912 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Re: Detachment as I see it
I think the idea of attachment / detachment, much like everything else we label, is simply an illusion created by our man-made definitions. They are simply two sides to one single coin. But you are the coin and you'll never escape this fact. The state of attachment to me seems to come as a result of fearing or resisting the idea of detachment from anything. Just the same detachment comes from the result of resisting the idea of attachment. In both cases, one is attached anyway, not only metaphysically to everything and the opposite to everything, but mentally, we are attached to the idea of being attached or detached. Both sides of the coin has its advantages and disadvantages, but one may get and realize advantages regardless when the coin is used with awareness and acceptance that both sides to it exist. Like everything else in our existence, its simply a game of heads or tails, and because you are the coin, you are granted advantages out of either side equally, depending on your ability to let go of resisting the side you take, as well as the side it opposes.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50924 by

Psyddhattha wrote: It is my opinion that a Jedi will realise detachment from individual people, animals, objects etc when they truly understand that through the Force they are attached to all.

I believe that with this realisation a Jedi will be able to feel love and compassion for all things and can then truly serve the world as an instrument of peace.

The Force will be with you always.

I love this. Nicely worded. I couldn't agree more.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50931 by
The idea of attachment is a symptom of living in the future and not in the here and now. To be attached to something means that you need it for some purpose in the future that is yet unknown. "I am going to buy this because I need it and I could use it later also". If you are living in the present you may have to use a tool to complete a job but that does not mean you need to attach yourself to the tool. It is not that possessing something is bad, but how will you feel if it is lost or stolen? This is the test of attachment. If the loss of the item causes you grief and anger,you have attachment that is not in the spirit of the Jedi way.

As we say to the children about going back into a fire for their toys when teaching fire education..."You can always buy a new toy, but you cannot buy a new you". In this same context, you can always buy a new tool, but your eternal soul cannot be bought. Attachment is spiritual materialism and should be avoided.

Now when it comes to attachment to people it is important to remember that kindness and compassion is the essence of life. In order for us to become enlightened beings you must serve others and treat all people with these traits. Attachment to people becomes inappropriate when it has lust and selfish intent at its core. When a family member or other loved one dies, it is natural to mourn their loss. But it is wrong to be so attached to that person that your life suffers lasting depression and anguish.

We are all individual beings with a consciousness which is part of the Force. We must understand the path that is laid out for us is individual and separate from the path of other conscious beings. We may walk the path side by side but there are many foot print tracks on the path that lead to other destinations.

There are many forms of attachment and each type must be considered and understood separately to be fully aware of their consequence.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi