GHOSTS

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5266 by
Replied by on topic Why GHOSTS
Now that we are inveloped by the topic of are ghosts real, has anyone seen them, etc. I present a new topic. Why is the human being so thrilled by the idea of ghosts. I have heard facts as to why we are so intriqued by the fact that there are dead people walking around. The most common one i have heard is that because we are hoping that there is an afterlife and if we see ghosts then that could mean that we survive past death. These ghosts could be nothing more then fabrications or past thoughts that have been conjured into something a bit material, so why do we always return to the supposed 'fact' that ghosts exist?

PS I do believe in ghosts too, just wanted to shed enlightenment on the subject at hand.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5269 by
Replied by on topic Re:Why GHOSTS
Have not physically seen one, but have witnessed their presence, and even sat on one once, talk about a chilling experience (how's that for a bad pun?).

As for the proof of surviving after death? Not so sure of that, from experiences I've had, and things that I've read, for the most part, a ghost is just an imprint left behind, that continues the day to day routine that the person did while living. Not saying this is always the case, just that this is the most commonly occurring experiences. They don't always know that we are there, as far as they're concerned, they aren't dead, just repeat over and over again the events that led up to the time of their death.

Just food for thought, hope it helps.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5272 by
I'm not enthralled by ghosts at all... I don't like the thought of them, and had one experience, and the rest were probably figments of my imagination.

I choose to not think about them. I cannot think of a worse \"existance\" than that of a ghost. It just creeps me out too much...

If anyone here has seen \"The Others\" and the weird atmosphere of that film...and ending...it is such an insane \"existance\" that thinking of a ghost is like thinking about a car accident every time you get behind the wheel.

It's morbid. It's just \"wrong\" to me... If there are ghosts I certainly don't hate them...but they seem some sort of unnatural abomination on the scheme of things, and victims in this scheme.

Sorry...I know that sounds a bit harsh...it just really gives me a bad feeling...

-Asta Sophi

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 9 months ago #5273 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Why GHOSTS
I can understand the way you feel. My one experience, with a small group of students, was enough for a life time. A glass flew through the room, the room became ice cold so much that we could see our breaths, and all telephone in the house rang simultaneously. One student had to consequently go for councelling.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5274 by
It does seem a bit harsh, but i understand your fear for them. I could hardly consider a film to be the for most expert on how things are in the afterlife. It is films like that that make people afraid of what they don't understand, like arachniphobia, Anaconda, Kujo (sp?), etc. Films that make harmless things bad are just wrong to me and bring out the worst fears in people, which in turn brings out their prejudices (not saying you are prejudice by any means Asta, just commenting on the films). Many people like the idea that ghosts exist because it gives them comfort that there is proof that we live past death. Many people need that kind of proof to hold onto life. i do not view those existances, to be something so said, because sometimes a ghost stays behind to protect family members or places. They are not always bad, and if it is their choice to stay behind then it (i hope) is up to them. The only thing is we hear about the bad ones more then anything because it is tramatizing and people like to share their problems and spook other people out.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5280 by
I am not actually afraid of ghosts...I just find them repellent. It seems like when your life is gone from your body then it's time to leave the rest of life....well...to the bodily living?

Staying around after seems...I guess I can't explain it, but it seems WRONG and possibly a little selfish? But of course we do not know enough of the afterlife to judge I suppose.

\"The Others\" isn't a scary movie really...it's quite tragic and sad. I find the thought of ghosts, those who didn't choose to exist after their bodies died, as victims of something gone very wrong. ...And for eternity or at least many years?

I tell you, I grew up in Minnesota and during college lived where I could see and HEAR the 35W bridge that collapsed. It's sort of a horrible thought that one of those victims should find themselves trapped as a ghost along the Mississippi...

Just my two cents... Interesting topic!

-Asta Sophi

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 9 months ago #5310 by Jon
Ghosts are supposed to be spirits of dead people which for some reason or another are trapped between this plane of existence and the next, due to some kind of tragedy or trauma. Parapsycologists even claim that these do not know they are dead, and that they need to be released in order to move on. Ghosts are usually to be found at what was once for them in life emotionally important places. Judging from reported encounters, these Ghosts are quite capable of being aware and interacting with the living.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 9 months ago #5311 by Jon
To describe this condition of Ghosts being trapped in a kind of Limbo (kind of intermediate, stagnant, neutral state of waiting) would be doing the situation an injustice. For every Ghost presence there is a reason which supposes a solution, which is made possible through communication with the living. Indeed this describes a journey full of potential.
This personal crusade on the part of the Ghost can neither be ascribed to the medieval Roman Catholic contrived concept of Limbo. This does not apply to The Limbo of the Fathers ( Limbus Patrum), \"the temporary state of those who, in spite of the personal sins they may have committed, died in the friendship of God, but could not enter Heaven until redemption by Jesus Christ made it possible.\". Nor can it be applied to the Limbo of Infants who died unbaptised in infancy, \"too young to have committed personal sins, but not having been freed from original sin.\" Ironically the Vatican has determined that limbo does not exist, opening the gates of heaven to babies who die unbaptised. \"The many factors that we have considered ... give serious theological and liturgical grounds for hope that unbaptised infants who die will be saved,\" says a document published by the US magazine Origins with the approval of Pope Benedict XVI.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 9 months ago #5319 by Jon
It is my hope that if I was to find myself in such a condition that someone would find the compassion, courage, sensibility and patience to help me wake up and move on on my journey.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi