Top five regrets of the dying

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49287 by
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying?fb_action_ids=2611137602882&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

How many of you will feel the same?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49290 by
Replied by on topic Re: Top five regrets of the dying
This is really interesting. I know I personally am trying not to let most of these things be things I feel when I am at that time of life, but you never really know what life can throw at you. A great topic to think on though.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49294 by
Personally I have never been one to regret. The past is gone so in my opinion regret is pointless. The time for living is NOW! However, I do believe that I can learn from my successes and failures in the past; I just don't feel any regret for previous decisions.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49306 by
Great topic. These are subjects we should think about every so often so we don't fall into ruts. We need to treasure each moment given to us.

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

When I joined this Temple I put this regret firmly behind me. Since Oct 31st, 2011, I've been living a life true to myself.

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

I think I have a good work-life balance so far. I don't think this would be a regret of mine as of now.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

Not a problem in this department. Ha, sometimes I'm too quick to express my feelings when I should have stayed quiet, haha.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

This may be one I need to work on.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

I think I'm doing pretty well here. Not perfect, but always trying to improve my attitude.

More
12 years 3 months ago #49314 by Proteus
I'll accept there is always room for improvement in all of these for myself.

Becoming as aware and truthful to myself as possible about all five of these things I think is a founding key to getting the most out of them.

"The thing about perfection is that it's unknowable. It's impossible, but it's also right in front of us all the time." - Kevin Flynn (Tron: Legacy)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49346 by
Very interesting read. I got the feeling that people have this exact kind of regrets every now and then, when they take time to truly think about their life in a clear state of mind. It's not about sex or money, but mainly about yourself and your personal development. People should really care more about that. Worse might indeed be to realize (or accept) that you've been living your life without being true to yourself...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49350 by
I do work to much.. but Im hoping this will change soon. As for the rest of it, not so much. I care for my friends deeply, and you guys. My life is getting better and better. By the time the cold hand of death comes for me, Ill be complete. And the Force will carry me, to the unknown

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 3 months ago #49355 by Jestor
I'm reading this as a list of attachment....

I do my best, every day... I've probably made some choices that, looking back, were "bad", but I would not most likely be the guy in front of you had I choose differently....

To me, for that is who I am:
Do I work too hard? Sure, if by too hard you mean at all.. There are too many other experiences out there id love to be having... With my family if they'd like, without, if not...

True to myself? I'm ok on this one... lol... Whether I change my language in front of grandma, or keep myself quiet in the company of racist individuals, this is who I am... They wished to be a different form of themselves...

True to my Feelings? Members of my family, think that, blurring their feeling out, in public is ok... Then they day, "well, I'm not lying"... True, but being uncouth about it is not cool... Manners people...

Old friends? Facebook now baby.... But, seriously, why should I stay in touch with people when our paths have seperated? Our commonality brought us together for a bit... Things change...

Happier? let go of these regrets, and attachments.... be happy for what you had...

My opinion, anyway.. lol... ;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49359 by
Indeed... the choices we make are what makes us who we are. How can one regret something that is part of them? The past cannot be changed, so there's not really a reason to worry about it.

I really don't think I can work too hard, for if I'm not working as hard as I can all the time, then I'm bored and will quickly become unsatisfied.

Being true to myself is something I work on daily. To be true to oneself, it is ncessary to know oneself in the first place. As I learn more about myself, I can do more to remain true to my own character.

I may guard my feelings most of the time, but I can let loose when and where it's appropriate. I follow my impulses more often than I should, but again.. there's no reason to apologize for it. I will be myself to the best of my ability, and all the experiences, flaws, failures, and successes only shape me further into the person I was meant to be.

Sure we've all lost touch with old friends, but that's the way of things. If we are meant to cross paths again, we will. If not, then there's no reason to worry.

Happiness is really subjective. I wake up every day thankful for another day, another chance to get it right. My needs are provided for, and I'm very happy just for that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49452 by
As I get closer to the end than the beginning, I think about what I need to get done before I leave the confines of this life. It is amazing how accurate the list seems to be. Yes number one for me is as stated: I wish I lived my own life instead of what others expected of me. BUT...

If I lived my own live, would I be a servant of the people? Would I have become the man I am? Would my children BE?? The path is laid out and I am trying to come to grips with the fact that this is my lot in life and I AM BUT A HUMBLE SERVANT.

Know Thy Self! :unsure: Would be nice to step out of my life once in a while. :whistle:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi