A Question on the Church of Jediism

More
12 years 3 months ago #49376 by Br. John
Hadi Apollos, what URL(s) did you go to?

Founder of The Order

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49498 by
I was previously the Head of Public Relations at the "church of jediism" and left last year for a brief amount of time. Upon my return, I was promoted to Deputy Ecclesiastical Leader only to leave for good a short time later. Since then I've gone on to found a new organization, the New Jediism Order, which will be holding the first ever en-masse gathering of members of the Jedi faith in Europe later this year.

I'm not a member of staff at the TOTJO, nor can I speak on their behalf, but I can offer my own opinion and history.

Star Forge wrote: So anyway, just wondering, is this site endorsed/run by us, and if so, does TOTJO have any major issues with Jones or his organization?

I'd like to point out that the members of the TOTJO are not alone in their personal dislike, disagreements or disapproval of the "church of jediism" - many communities out there have expressed their opinions about Jones' "church" but the members of TOTJO (not the TOTJO itself, but members) have been, as far as I can see, the most active in campaigning against the so-called "church" with domains like the one you have picked up on. I commend them for that.

Akkarin wrote: In short CoJ is a for-profit company with a single shareholder, Mr Jones, and is not an officially licensed church. (It was the last time I checked, if I am wrong then I apologise!)

This is correct. Since they incorporated on 25th June 2010 as a for-profit organization, there have been no changes in their method of business. Despite any impressions they intend to give through the apparent "council" of elected members, the so-called "church" is run, and owned, by one sole shareholder - Daniel Jones. One of the main reasons for my final leaving was his refusal to re-register the church as a non-profit due to him "not seeing a problem with it" the way it is.

Akkarin wrote: Mr Jones is, again as far as I've been made aware, an ex-scientologist. Which you may see nothing wrong with of course, but it should at least present an air of caution.

Jones was never a Scientologist. He's done research in to the religion and I do believe he has partaken in a course or two at his nearest church, but he's never been a Scientologist or practiced the religion.

Akkarin wrote: He has made a few public, and rather embarrassing (from my point of view) appearances that seem more like publicity stunts than worthy achievements.As I said at the beginning with my disclaimer, I hope this doesn't erupt. Just know that there have indeed been a great many issues in the past. Perhaps both sides weren't as courteous and communicative as they could have been. But still, there are indeed a few very major issues that certainly I am still concerned about. But again they may have been resolved in the time of me last reading about CoJ and now.

This is true. Jones, upon my announcement of forming a new organization, asked why it was not possible to change the church in order to make it better and one of the reasons I gave was its history. One can change things in the future, change the way things are run and so on, but one thing you can't change is the past. Most people have got over the incidents two or so years ago regarding the "church" but they remain there and have permanently damaged the reputation of Jediism as a whole.

Akkarin wrote: Asking Br John might be your best bet, he will likely respond to this thread in his own time anyway. As will Baral Fobre, who was an ex-leader/council member of theirs.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have on this subject through this thread, PM or email :-)

Star Forge wrote: Before I discovered TOTJO, I was under the impression that all Jedi groups where somewhat tongue-in-cheek, mostly because of the impression I got from CoJ... As I said, I looked at his group before, but it did not seem to have any depth or real value as a religious institution. Just seemed to be all for fun.

When I was working for the coj, I found myself with every action prompted by Jones asking 'how can we make the church more spiritual,' 'how will this help us help other people?' and so on. The "church" does have its own form of training courses which are available on their website for download (they have only recently been released for free download - you were charged £5 for each e-book otherwise), but they are poorly edited and often do not reflect the true beliefs of Jediism itself. The first book even talks of midichlorians and negative energy 'entering the body through the back of the head'.

Hadi Apollos wrote: ........wow. I just visited the church of the jedi page. Thank you for labeling it as "fake for profit". I'm glad I came across TotJO before I did that site.

"Church official laser

The church of Jediism openly encourages youths to wear hoodies in public places. However what's a hoodie with no power? With this 1 Watt laser you will be able to cause any nearby planes to crash."

WHAT?! Yeah, because that's something a Jedi would do.

"Unlike real Jediism, our doctrine is all about dressing up and playing with lightsabers"

*facepalm*

This does sound like you have stumbled across the site over at churchofjediism.org, which is not the official coj page. Previously, the church did promote and advertise the products of Wicked Lasers, who were after the ability to call their lasers "official lightsaber of the church of jediism" and in turn the coj were given a lot of funding which Jones used on badges, t-shirts and other merchandise to sell on the church website.

Hope this helps and of course,

May the Force be with you.

BF

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi