Are the police our friends?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46919 by
From Sapadu's Initiate Journal, Article originally at feministing.com (linked)

I noticed that the New York City “rape cop” case seemed to cause a shift in the thinking of some feminists, who saw police officers using their position of authority to do violence and basically get away with it. At around the same time, the SlutWalk movement caught on in a big way, inspired by the slut-shaming words of a Toronto police officer. I got the sense a lot of privileged white feminists learned a lesson many people of color, undocumented, poor, and trans folks have known forever: the police are not your friend.
Yes, there are decent people on the police force. But the job of the police is to preserve the status quo. Topeka, Kansas decriminalizing domestic violence is a stark recent example of how much the police and the whole criminal legal system don’t care about sexual violence. And in fact, we’ve seen the worst of this in cops raping a woman and getting away with it. The issue isn’t that there are a few bad cops, or that there are a few good ones. The problem is the institution of the police itself. They’re a force that works for those who are in control to maintain the social order. Anyone working to realize social justice, anyone trying to change an unjust social order, could come up against the police at some moment or another.
This is a lesson many feminists have been slow to learn. Folks who have grown up with the police serving and protecting them understandably think the police work for them. Folks who’ve grown up being harassed by the police – who’ve seen their family members pulled over for no reason, arrested for being in public space, or totally ignored or even charged when they were a victim of a crime – have a different image. When the cops work for you, it seems like a pretty good idea to trust them to serve and protect. When you’ve been a target of the police, you tend to see a different picture. A lot of feminists with more privilege, and therefore a bigger megaphone, have an experience of the police that doesn’t mesh with what more marginalized folks have seen.
Well, this lesson is being put on video, again. Occupy Wall Street is showing us what happens when people stand up against powerful financial institutions. You want to know who the police work for? Watch this video of people being arrested for closing their CitiBank accounts en masse. Including a woman being forced back into the bank by police so they can arrest her:
Every time this sort of police behavior becomes public, I pray something good will come of it. That mainstream, privileged white America, for whom the police work, will wake up and realize what their protectors are doing to the rest of us is beyond any notion of justice or human decency. I was glad to see a white dude make the argument so well on MSNBC recently – maybe the mainstream will remember this:
We’re told to turn to the police when we’re in trouble. But is this force, who will turn against us when we’re threatening those in power, really who we want to trust to respond to injustice? I believe passionately in building community-based responses to harm, in building alternatives that create learning, growth, and change.
Occupy Wall Street is creating an image of a different world, one free from the cruelty of capitalism. We’re seeing that vision clash with the violence of the police. I know I’d like to work towards a world more like the one OWS envisions, not the world the police are defending.
Are recent activist clashes with the police changing your thinking? Do you see this as an issue of reform or much larger cultural change? How can we create a world where we don’t think social order needs to be maintained by police violence?

"Right." Jack mumbled, turning to her characters, "Now's the time to pull out all the stops. Elysia, you're a cop in your story. I expect you've got a few thoughts in your own defense, right?"

The look on Elysia's face said very differently.

'To be honest, I know from later on that the police I play a role with also exist to serve the government, and we just end up as pawns in suppressing a large majority of people in my story. There's even a conspiracy that I end up uncovering... and getting shot for, in pure Orwellian fashion, if you recall.'

Of course Jack recalled -- she'd written it.

'But doesn't the government exist to serve the people, mon ami?' Benedict asked, 'Especially in a government that elects its officials.'

'Allow me to provide a rebuttal.' Kendalina butted in, cueing up an episode of House M.D. and playing the line: "It is a universal truth that EVERYBODY lies." 'Politicians can and will do the same thing. The only variable is about what. Once they're in office, all bets are off. The things that keep them in order are laws in place before they came around and the other politicians, but if you have just the right combination of restriction, relaxed responsibilities and punishments, and similar-minded officials...'

'And, Author, there's also the possibility that, in such a long chain of command, someone is getting paid or blackmailed, or it's otherwise in their interest to order police into immoral action.' Sissy commented as she made her way through Jack's copy of 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest'.

'But some politicians and high-class, privileged men DO get caught and arrested. And they're usually high-profile cases, too, right? John Wayne Gasey? Ted Bundy?'

'Whose cases are usually made into even MORE propaganda -- 'Look, a rich white man was caught and tried! That MUST mean our system is perfect!'' The Count rebutted, earning him a distasteful glare from Ben.

'You're just determined to be cynical, aren't you?'

'I just know how government and power structures work.' The CMC pointed out in a tone of voice that made Ben flush with embarrassment and look away.

"So, the bottom line is..." Jack began, before Solar-san gently interrupted her.

'It's a little hasty to say there is a bottom line, at all. Many things can play a role into this, and the solution may be either simple or complicated. The only thing that can be said for sure is that everyone is a part of it, and it will take everyone to change it.'

Jack sighed, then turned to look at Con, whom she'd originally had this discussion with. He said nothing, content to simply glower at her. But Jack focused more on Silus, Lu, and Tom.

"You guys would probably be the best examples of people who've been on the receiving end of the worst the police force can do. But I do have one question -- how do you go into situations that force you to encounter 'the enemy'? Do you go in with the thought 'If I don't bother them and mind my own business, they'll leave me be' or do you go in thinking 'It's THEM. They can't be trusted. I can't show any weakness to them or they'll take me over to their side and brainwash me.'?"

To their credit, Tom and Lu looked mighty embarrassed at the words Jack had picked.

'It IS hard to interact with someone who we grew up with thinking as being our enemy. At best, we can move past our differences...' Silus nuzzled Con against the cheek, much to Con's chagrin, 'But at worst...'

'So, this isn't just the problem of what is real, it's also a problem of perception, which then leads to the perpetuation of a worsening relationship.' The CMC mused.

"Then, to make things more complicated, it's how to solve a problem that seems to defy identification." Jack cast Sissy a look, as though trying to silently order her to had back the copy of the book she was reading, "We could have a police for police..."

'Also known as 'Internal Affairs.'

"Or a service that does personal investigations and background checks for the police to ensure the orders they're receiving aren't spawned by retaliation from a higher-up or something of the sort." Jack continued, as though Kendalina hadn't interrupted her. She looked around.

'I wonder...' Triclops mumbled, even though he'd mostly kept out of the way, 'Are there any members of a police force that ensign and when they have orders to stop protestors, or make arrests for less than satisfactory reasons, they refuse? Are there any whom would arrest or turn in a fellow officer who commits a crime of their own? After all, the role of the Jedi is to uphold peace and justice, and a branch of that deals with law making and confronting when systems are unjust and must be changed. What would the correct manner for that be?'

Jack took a long look around at everyone. Then she sighed and shook her head. All she could think to do now was to post it for discussion before her head exploded.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46922 by
Replied by on topic Re: Are the police our friends?
If the police are our friends, it's a complicated friendship at best. This friend is often times rude, callous, demanding, physically and emotionally abusing, and hypocritcal. Yet, when your life is in danger, you really have nobody else to call.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46927 by

Planet of Chaos wrote: you really have nobody else to call.

Ghostbusters? (Couldn't resist :P)

Sapadu wrote: 'Are there any members of a police force that ensign and when they have orders to stop protestors, or make arrests for less than satisfactory reasons, they refuse? Are there any whom would arrest or turn in a fellow officer who commits a crime of their own? After all, the role of the Jedi is to uphold peace and justice, and a branch of that deals with law making and confronting when systems are unjust and must be changed. What would the correct manner for that be?'

A tricky subject. Who watches the watchers?

Generally people all have the same moral beliefs. If a policeman is abusing his position then most people would unanimously agree straight away, once evidence is shown, that he should be stopped an punished.

But how can we make that happen? After all they could just say no and what could we do against that?

The answer is to make it widespread knowledge. Really unite vast numbers of people behind it. Once enough people are engaged and all agree that something must be done then something will be done.

The reason for this is because it's in the interests of politicians to gain public backing. The only time this wouldn't apply is if they started creating a police state based on tyranny.

That is when we would have far more serious concerns than just the police being our friends...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46928 by
'I like this Akkarin dude!' Tom hooted, pointing at the screen, 'He made the ghostbusters crack before I could!'

'But when it comes to a state being based on tyranny and not public opinion... what if politicians have gotten smarter and trickier to do just that in everything but name?' The CMC asked, 'After all, if we have a blatant tyrannical rule, the people will rise up... and a vast state like America would be a very big uprising.'

'But if politicians can create enough dissent and chaos in the people and have so many arguing factions and so many people who just give up and say 'Well, it's not worth trying' that they don't even vote, they can do the same thing and not fear retaliation.' Ben finished, catching on.

Jack watched them talk, all the while pondering if she might have a problem involving Mike's Hard Lemonade and conspiracy-action spy movies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46930 by

Akkarin wrote:

Planet of Chaos wrote: you really have nobody else to call.

Ghostbusters? (Couldn't resist :P)

Sapadu wrote: 'Are there any members of a police force that ensign and when they have orders to stop protestors, or make arrests for less than satisfactory reasons, they refuse? Are there any whom would arrest or turn in a fellow officer who commits a crime of their own? After all, the role of the Jedi is to uphold peace and justice, and a branch of that deals with law making and confronting when systems are unjust and must be changed. What would the correct manner for that be?'

A tricky subject. Who watches the watchers?

Generally people all have the same moral beliefs. If a policeman is abusing his position then most people would unanimously agree straight away, once evidence is shown, that he should be stopped an punished.

But how can we make that happen? After all they could just say no and what could we do against that?

The answer is to make it widespread knowledge. Really unite vast numbers of people behind it. Once enough people are engaged and all agree that something must be done then something will be done.

The reason for this is because it's in the interests of politicians to gain public backing. The only time this wouldn't apply is if they started creating a police state based on tyranny.

That is when we would have far more serious concerns than just the police being our friends...

That is why I love camera phones. Let's catch the sociopath while he thinks he's caught us. If the media doesn't listen, someone on twitter, Facebook, YouTube, or even TOTJO, will. Keep the Internet free and we shall remain free.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 4 months ago #46958 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Are the police our friends?
video evidence isn't the whole truth though. I think the fear of cameras actually make cops worse...

Either way, cops are like don corleone. Handy when you need him, a huge pronlem when you don't.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #46966 by
I have a lot of friends and a brother-in-law that are police officers. Here is my take on the question...

Police officers are our relatives, friends, and neighbors. They have a calling as true as the Jedi of this Order..."To Serve and Protect". This may sound rehearsed but it is very real. You don't stand in front of bullets, riotous crowds and respond to extremely violent situations if it were not for the calling. BUT... the problem is they see TOO MUCH!

Every day they are exposed to every type of violent, hateful, and despicable person and situation known to man. They are expected to act in an almost saintly way toward the most satanic people. EVERY DAY!! How long do you think it would take for you to "break"? Really ask yourself, how much could you be exposed to before enough is enough?

So what is the solution?

One of the ideas I have is to make it mandatory for all officers to be required to have a yearly psychological review and be required to spend a specified amount of time off the streets each year. In the fire service we have CISD (Critical Incident Stress Debriefing) after critical calls and so do the police. Is this enough?

They are our friends, neighbors, and relatives, so lets treat them like it and get them the extra help they need to serve and protect us when no one else can...or will!

I also believe that when you are pulled over for a traffic violation or some other MINOR offense, be respectful and courteous to the officers.This will take the edge off the encounter. Because after all...you committed the violation and you asked to be protected by a police force to uphold the laws of YOUR government. If you believe you are innocent, take it to court and follow the judiciary system of your government in settling questions of justice.

Besides, it is easier (but not always possible) to get out of a minor infraction with a little "honey" and remorse for your infraction.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by . Reason: More thoughts on the question.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46971 by
Every day, I put on a vest and uniform and decision to go be a guardian of peace. I am a sworn officer, not a private security guard, but the guy who come up to your car window and talks to you. I am also a Jedi.

I have been reading this thread and decided to respond to my fellow Jedi. I don’t know everybody’s belief and stance on judicial proceedings… just that you have one is important. I am not here to respond to or defend those who would dishonor the uniform. That is another discussion and thread. I am here to let you know that I am not your friend when I approach your window, I have enough friends and so do you. I am there to make sure I get back home to my family safe and ALIVE. I am there to make sure that whoever you are… you have not taken advantage of the weak. I am there to make sure you have not been taken advantage of by a low life scum who would take a family member away from you by killing them. I am there to see it all the way through until that low life scum is in a jail cell for what he’s done to you and your family. When everyone else has forgotten about the crime committed against you, I am still working the case until I am called to testify. You must know that millions of contacts are made every day by the police and on a given shift I can make contact with many drivers. Most are polite. Some are not and for this I am reminded that the Force is alerting me to something elusive. I am compelled to that awareness and the possible consequences. I have to act or not act upon that awareness. Keep in mind, at the end of the shift I am exhausted from the on/off warnings that the Force reveals but I am determined to do it all over again the next day. It is a calling.

My professional stance is if anyone respects life and liberty (and possess decent driving skills) they will never have official contact with me. Those who are evil will, someday and sometime, and they will be stopped. I am the one who will go to that evil and confront it and make sure it cannot repeat the act upon you.

Every day, I have been able to take off my uniform and know I am unique in this profession. I am called and held to a higher standing. I cannot and will not betray the oath I have taken. And just as you have taken that oath as a Jedi , you are called to defend the weak and shelter the poor and do what is right.

Your opinion about how you got a traffic ticket is petty compared to what some other people have to go through when a crime is committed against them. We are Jedi and must work togerther to rid the place where you live of evil people.

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46973 by
PloKoon,

I respect and appreciate the work you do. I understand the attitude you take in the commission of your duties. For you to say that we are not your friends is a fair,logical,and honest way to approach the unknowns that await you in the coming shift. I have heard the same response from my brother-in-law who is a Cleveland police officer.

Please know that I am grateful for the service you undertake each day. It must be difficult to balance the Jedi way at times in your profession. May the Force be with you at every moment you face the evil works of our societies dregs.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46975 by
I do respect the badge! I'm always nice to police whenever I am in contact. Really, I don't care if you are my friend or not. What I don't like is how many officers seem to be at odds with the people they're protecting. Like everyone is a potential criminal. I feel like everyone's done something in their life that they wouldn't want a cop to know about, even making an illegal u-turn or something. Does this mean they are bad people and deserve to be treated as such? I hope not!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi