Questions about Light/Dark Sides of the Force

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44518 by
I know in the teachings of Jediism the desire for power is improper for a Jedi to seek. I always wanted to purge those feelings but now I feel I am "shutting out" part of who I am by taking away my desire. I am big into Zen, Alan Watts, Echart Tolle, and of course Jediism. but.. I have this strange desire that I want more and I know it is my ego wanting it. It feels as if my ego is trying to stay alive in my body. Is it wrong to try to eliminate the ego or can it be used for good? I have a long and growing hunger to feel power and whenever I do I begin to feel the effects of the dark side. The weird thing though is I enjoy it. I enjoy the feeling of feeling powerful and i believe my ego only wants more of it. The issue though is I get very negative and down. It's as if I want it. or my ego does but my question is... is it wrong to use the ego for theyself and..

Why do I enjoy these dark side feelings it is just my ego? perhaps it makes me feel like I have control over the world. I'm not sure. I'm just really at a point right now where I don't know what I need to do. I desire power and fame but I know its just a game. I know I don't need it but I still crave it. Carl Jung stated that it is important you realize the darkness within you so you do not portray it onto others. Is this the case?? I know I'm kind of rambling but I wanted to get some of your thoughts perhaps it will spark some sort of answer for my deep earning to understand.

I know we as a people grow most during times of conflict and it seems conflict arises often when the ego is present. is it wrong to maybe ignore the ego? or enjoy it and use it to better yourself? Also whats the difference between positive self confidence and having your ego drive you.

X_X

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you all,
Elemental.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #44541 by
So what I am going to say is not meant to offend anyone who does choose to follow a sith/dark side path.

Well, I feel like the "dark" side is an easier path to follow. The idea of just going with your emotions and, doing whatever you may feel like doing, not worrying too much about consequences. Brash fast action, this is the easy way to live. I think anyone would have the desire for revenge or to attack people in retaliation at times. These are things that I personally associate with a sith/dark side life style.

Following an orthodox jedi, or light side path, isn't really the easy thing to do. You are making a commitment (in my view/interpretation of the paths) to transcend these basic human emotions and desires. You are making a choice and commitment to become more than just your emotions and instincts, and refusing to allow your emotions to have any control over you.

Keep in mind though, that to be an orthodox/light side jedi, does not mean to just automatically live this lifestyle perfectly. I always see Jestor say this, and it's true. We are all practicing Jedi, not perfect Jedi. I'm sure I've messed that quote up a bit, but it gets the point across. I myself have thoughts or get emotional and mad at times, that I know are not really in accord with a Jedi lifestyle, but when this happens, I remind myself of the code, the tenets, and I strive and work to be better.

I am also reminded of this quote about anger/hate when thinking about your question.

"Of the Seven Deadly Sins, anger is possibly the most fun. To lick your wounds, to smack your lips over grievances long past, to roll over your tongue the prospect of bitter confrontations still to come, to savor to the last toothsome morsel both the pain you are given and the pain you are giving back -- in many ways it is a feast fit for a king. The chief drawback is that what you are wolfing down is yourself. The skeleton at the feast is you."
-Frederick Buechner

I guess my answer to you is that the temptation of doing actions that would fall in the dark side of the force is a normal thing that all people go through. The desire to be greedy, to be angry, to go for revenge, etc. These are normal desires and wants. Ultimately though if one wants to live a Jedi lifestyle, they have to work hard and make a commitment to transcend these things.

These are of course, all my own personal views and feelings on this topic.

I posted all that on your other thread, but this question here is a bit more indepth so I'll add some to my answer.

Being driven by a sense of ego, and having confidence, are definitely different. Being driven by a sense of ego means that you are doing things simply for your own personal gain, your own power, to get others to acknowledge you, etc. This would definitely (in my eyes) fall under something more in the realm of the dark side.

I agree with jung that it is important to know the darkness inside you, and I think you can look to the fiction that Jediism is based off of as an example of this. Luke goes into the cave and sees himself as darth vader. This is an example of him knowing the darkness inside of him, and what is possible. This knowledge though can help you in preventing yourself from becoming this, if that is what you desire.

You are not strange though or wrong to feel good when giving in to the temptations of the dark side, that's why it is so tempting! It feels good to be bad, but like the quote above says, you are destroying yourself by doing it, and that is ultimately why you feel bad, and feel guilty for the things you do.

-Cory

P.S. Sorry it's so long, I kind of ranted, but it can be summed up more or less with the last paragraph hah.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi