Atheist Money Too Controversial for American ... ?

More
12 years 6 months ago #43343 by Br. John
Is Atheist Money Too Controversial for the American Cancer Society?
By Greta Christina, AlterNet
Posted on October 10, 2011, Printed on October 12, 2011
http://www.alternet.org/story/152685/is_atheist_money_too_controversial_for_the_american_cancer_society

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/152685/

Founder of The Order

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 6 months ago #43344 by ren
I read somewhere before that muslims had better reputation than atheists in america.

There's an atheist american couple in my town. They moved over here (a country with state religion?) because they were suffering abuse in america and didn't want to lie about their lack of faith.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43347 by
The country calling itself the most free seems often to be the one with the most bigotry. Not saying everyone there is like that, but I hear about more stories of intolerance coming from America than I do from anywhere else that calls itself liberal and free.

Could be because of a lack of news sources however.

But irrespective of that this is something that I think Jedi should be wholly against.

Even if you don't agree with someone's view I will still support their right to have that view.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 6 months ago #43349 by Jestor
I have one Atheist friend, well, one outspoken Atheist friend, who is seeming to make it his mission to 'save the world from the mind control of the jesus freaks'...

Not really his words, but it is how I have come to see what him doing... I ask him, "Why do you talk about this on facebook like that?"

He said, "To save people from the mind control, to let people know there are options out there."

I was so mad at one of his posts, I deleted him from facebook... And I don't believe in God either... His "holier than thou" attitude pisses me off... His smugness that some people want to, orneed to cling to a faith to help them get throught the world, are fullof horse manure... I readded him later cause he is such fun to talk to about these kind of ideas and thoughts...

I do not run around saying, "Join TOTJO, this is the truth!" Although it is for me...

And, don't like, religious people, shoving their information at me either...

And I don't like car salesmen, running up to me in a parking lot, asking, "What can we do to get you in this car today?"

I would love a discussion, but stop trying to shove it down my throat...

Would the FBB organization use it as a springboard to get together more, and announce, "The ACS recognized our efforts, and you should too!", type of campaign? Would a religious organization? Would TOTJO use it to say, "Hey, look, the ACS realizes were not just dressing up and playing with lightsabers...", and if we did dress up and play with toys, would they exclude us? Probably not, on a local level, on a National level?

Have the ACS accepted an overtly religious groups money? The Girl Scouts, Phi Theta Kappa and DeMolay International, Do not scream "GOD BELIEVERS". Of course, neither does "Foundation Beyond Belief" exactly scream Atheist...

The country calling itself the most free seems often to be the one with the most bigotry. Not saying everyone there is like that, but I hear about more stories of intolerance coming from America than I do from anywhere else that calls itself liberal and free.

Shoot, this country was founded on whining... We came here cause big bad England would not let us worship the way we wanted... lol...

Step on someones toes, and they whine for some form of discimination, race, sexual oreintation, family, education, reverse racism...

I am not allowed to take, what is to me and easier test, a test to be a police officer, different from any other person... BUt minorities are given a different test? Really? either you are qualified, or your not...

Back on point...

If the ACS rejeccts money from a group called "Absolutely Afterlife", then will things be fair? Have they already?

Life is so... interesting.... (and whiney!!.. lol...)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
More
12 years 6 months ago #43351 by ren
You should introduce your friend to the force. He would then discover his freaky enemies are destined to perish. When it comes to shoving beliefs down others' throats, you know my philosophy... "go back to your own effing religion"

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 6 months ago #43352 by Jestor
Lol, yea.... once after a particularly good "discussion", I ask him, who was he trying to convince, me, or himself... Then I ask, if by definition, he was an Atheist Preacher.... because he is always preaching against religion, or God anyway.....

He went to a Unitarian Church, because. "They welcome everybody, and don't judge"... lol..

He is a 2nd Degree Black Belt, and holds some kind of rank in capoera (sp)... He'd be a great Jedi, he just won't spend the time finding out about it....

He is still a good guy, and a fun verbal (and physical) sparring partner....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
More
12 years 6 months ago #43355 by ren
To go back on topic, and bridge with what I was saying on the reward thread, money's only worth what you do with it. I'd think curing cancer is a good thing even if it were financed by arms dealers. These people are not in the business of curing cancer anymore when they are refusing legal donations, whether it is from the "angry atheists who hate religion group" or the "evil conglomerate of all tobacco companies who want to cure cancer so they can sell more cigarettes".

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi