Here Be Dragons- The Movie

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41647 by
Hi all- I recently watched a documentary and I thought it was very good. It's called Here Be Dragons. From Youtube:

"Here Be Dragons is a free 40 minute video introduction to critical thinking. It is suitable for general audiences and is licensed for free distribution and public display.

Most people fully accept paranormal and pseudoscientific claims without critique as they are promoted by the mass media. Here Be Dragons offers a toolbox for recognizing and understanding the dangers of pseudoscience, and appreciation for the reality-based benefits offered by real science.

Here Be Dragons is written and presented by Brian Dunning, host and producer of the Skeptoid podcast, author of Skeptoid: Critical Analysis of Pop Phenomena, and Executive Producer of The Skeptologists."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKdG7yGi0KA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41648 by
Replied by on topic Re: Here Be Dragons- The Movie
That was incredibly good and very informative. I recognised his book at the end although I can't remember where I first heard of it.

I mean no offence to the other members here but please pay attention to when he talks about energy. It sounds scientific but when you put it in the context of spirituality it makes no sense. At the very least choose another term.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41649 by
Replied by on topic Re: Here Be Dragons- The Movie
I personally don't mind when people use 'energy' as a spiritual term, as long as they use it as a metaphor. There's not really any other apropriate English word.

What really bugs me is when people offer to do things to your 'chakras.' Some people charge small fortunes to shine glorified Christmas lights at them :laugh: .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 8 months ago #41651 by RyuJin

Onokoro wrote: I personally don't mind when people use 'energy' as a spiritual term, as long as they use it as a metaphor. There's not really any other apropriate English word.

What really bugs me is when people offer to do things to your 'chakras.' Some people charge small fortunes to shine glorified Christmas lights at them :laugh: .

sadly there are a large number of hustlers that do just that...much like someone offering to do an exorcism for money.....too many people take advantage of the spiritual beliefs of others...

the majority of psychics that are considered legit, don't use their abilities for profit and don't go around bragging or showing off...any that do are usually schiesters just trying to make an easy buck.

while i do believe it is possible to "manipulate" the chakra of another i do not believe it is something that should be profitted from. if you have an ability that can be used to help others then use it to help others, don't use it to help your wallet.

belief is a very powerful thing though....if someone absolutely believes something will work, it usually will.....even if it's shining glorified christmas lights :unsure:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi