Maths and 100 % What does this mean to you ?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #40998 by
Greetings Each

I Have decided to open this as a ne post . I was going to put up in my 'More or Less' post but this subject all on its own in my view.

http://youtu.be/h60r2HPsiuM

I took this from a friend oddly his full name is the same as mine lol .He has a group on FB which covers a book he co wrote called The Meadow.

After I looked at the above video. I felt it would be a good thing to share with my fellow students and Jedi Seniors.

I would welcome your thoughts and views and what you feel about it as individuals. How you view the last phrase is up to you and your individual beliefs . I viewed it from a Human being angle . I hope you will dothe same,but that is for you to choose.

I hope you enjoy it as I did.

MTFBWY.

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 9 months ago #41001 by ren
At 69 I'll stick with Jediism. Great sex beats the love of god.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 9 months ago #41006 by RyuJin
that's interesting, but mathematics was never my thing....i can build a computer, design a house and build it, determine driveline angles and dimensions for a 4-link suspension, but i can't figure out college algebra....it's the only class i've ever failed, and i've failed it brilliantly 3 times....

and according to the math that was shown, love of dog will get you 101% as well...

it's not for me, but i'm not going to knock someone else for their views either. the world is full of ideas and opinions, how boring would it be if it wasn't...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #41007 by

ren wrote: At 69 I'll stick with Jediism. Great sex beats the love of god.

That made me laugh :)

The video was of course a light-hearted take on maths that shows elegant patterns and coincidences.

But for me 100% is meaningless and if someone says they are 100% about anything then I think they are being ignorant.

Can you ever say and I mean absolutely certainly promise and confirm the definite result or prediction of anything? That requires omniscience and I am certainly not going to go around and claim that. I don't think any Jedi would ever be able to make such a claim and be sincere unless they are truly misguided.

If something is 100% then why bother investigate it? We already know everything. Therefore all efforts to know more would be futile and a waste of time. 100% means a lack of having to know more and so a lack of the pursuit of knowledge. Ignorance.

This, I would like to point out, is taking 100% as a more abstract concept and as a saying rather than a mathematical proof of a concept or as a calculation based on increased efficiency for example. Those areas can have 100%.

I would say that 100% is a confirmation of ignorance. Why bother if you've already made the maximum? Why resign yourself to thinking that whatever it is can no longer increase or improve or change?

Leaving the world open to possibilities is knowledge, restricting possibilities without reasonable cause or through the use of language is ignorance.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #41008 by
Greetings each.

Hmmm Clouded vision me things . On what I have seen so far.

Yours in Budo Mike

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 9 months ago #41018 by ren
So what's the big revelation then? As far as I can tell 100% still equals 1, not the most interesting number out there.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #41031 by
Greetings each

Dosn't matter now..I have finally decided that that this not for me .

Take care

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 9 months ago #41032 by Jestor
Hmmm, well Mike...

Sorry to see you go...

To continue with this column...

9 is quite the 'magical' number, or so I have always been told....:huh:

It is how I learned multiplication as a youth...

My 9s were easier than my 7s and 8s... lol...:)

The "love of God'? Well, like all things human, my opinion is we look for answers in randomness searching for the "Ultimate Answer" or maybe the "Ultimate Question"....

One the other hand, if I am wrong and God does exist, maybe these coincdences are his 'signs' of his existence....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #41050 by
Hey all.

Also germane to the topic of mathematics, and which I find incredibly amazing, is the Fibonnaci sequence and it's association with the Golden ratio, fractals, and other mathematical phenomenons in nature! A good link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBzAO72NuIc

And, if you feel like wading through an ocean of nigh incomprehensible particle physics terms, only to have your mind blown about the posible beauty of the fundamental mathematic workings of our universe, be sure to check out the E8 Theory. The "Through the Wormhole" special on it as well as the TED talk given by its conciever are excellent places to start.
The further I dug, the more I was amazed at humanity's history in the search for explanation, and how close we may be to understanding how our world works. Whether it be the manifestation of the Force, the design of God, or simple existant beauty, we are always understanding more about it!

Then I wonder, why won't we try so hard to understand one another?
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 8 months ago #41068 by Jestor
Sort of a mathimatical Fantasia...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi