Hi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #40985 by
Hi was created by
Hello,

My name is Pelar, and can usually find me active on the FA.
I'm a student of Anthropology, Sociology and environmental studies - approaching a BA.

I'm conducting research in anthropology of identities, and the subject of my study is Jedi identities online and offline. As a member of the general SW community I assure you I'm not trying to be judgmental of any of the different types of Jedi/ism out there, but rather I believe the fascinating Jedi phenomenon has much to contribute to the scholarly understanding of human identities.

I'm in a pretty progressive phase of the study, and I'm looking for some last-minute input. I'd be grateful to anyone who agrees to answer some (or all) of the following questions:
  • How do you define Jedi? How do you explain Jedi to others?
  • What brought you to the Jedi idea and to the Jedi community online?
  • How do you relate to the SW fiction and the Jedi depicted there? Is there a difference between fictional Jedi and real life Jedi? Can you give an example of how the fiction affected your real life?
  • How important is your Jedi identity in your daily living?
  • Do others know you're Jedi? Do you express it openly? If not - why? Are there other parts of your identity that are similar in the sense that you prefer to keep them private (and are willing to share here)?
  • What is the significance of the online website and forum?
  • Is there a difference between an online environment and an offline one?
  • What does being a Jedi constitute online? What does it mean to be a Jedi offline? Is one easier than the other?

Feel free to also elaborate, use examples and insert general unrelated comments ;)

Thank you all so much, and if there's an interest then I promise to let you know how it went... (and maybe post the finished work here too)
Pelar

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 9 months ago #40987 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Hi
interesting, when i was taking philosophy i too did a term paper on jediism and to my surprise my philosophy professor had a lot of questions to ask after reading my paper.

it seems that jediism raises more interest than ridicule these days, and it has a growing appeal to military members.

i'm certain i won't be the only one to submit answers as we're all quite open, and more then willing to share our views, especially since we've had numerous guests stop by for similar reasons to yours.

1)How do you define Jedi?

my definition is likely different from others, but to me it's someone that acts with honor, places others before themself,protects the weak,and offers guidance to those in need. a philospher and a guardian.

2)How do you explain Jedi to others?

first and foremost i stress that it's not what people think when they first hear the word, a bunch of roleplaying dorks. i tell them we're a religious/philosophical order and we don't go running around trying to levitate objects or control people's minds.

3)What brought you to the Jedi idea and to the Jedi community online?

i've always been drawn to the idea of the wizened, unassuming sage for as long as i can remember, and when i was a little kid i had a friend who's father fit that archetype and he began teaching me. it wasn't until much later(over 20 years) that i joined the online community, based solely upon a feeling i had.

4)How do you relate to the SW fiction and the Jedi depicted there?

i've always related to the idea of someone doing something not because they want to, but because it has to be done and the sw fiction is filled with characters that fit that description. then again that sort of character can be found in nearly any genre.

5)Is there a difference between fictional Jedi and real life Jedi?

of course there is, fictional jedi wield various powers and duel with lightsabers all while residing in a fictional time and world. real jedi do none of those, instead we focus on self improvement, help others, learning as much as we can, and learning to live in harmony with our world.

6)Can you give an example of how the fiction affected your real life?

the only thing i can think of would be that it shows the difficulties of being a good person and doing the right thing when it matters most.

7)How important is your Jedi identity in your daily living?

i am who i am, jedi is only one part of me but it's integrated with the rest of me. trying to separate that part would be like removing a vital organ.

8)Do others know you're Jedi?

yes, while at first they had a good chuckle at it they learned to accept it and they often seek my advice.

9)Do you express it openly? If not - why?

when need be, yes. of course i don't go running around shouting out to everyone i meet "hey i'm a jedi", but when asked i have no trouble telling them or explaining to them what it is/means.

10)Are there other parts of your identity that are similar in the sense that you prefer to keep them private (and are willing to share here)?

i don't keep secrets about myself, i'm an open book. if someone asks me something i tell them.

11)What is the significance of the online website and forum?

it provides a meeting place for like-minded folks to gather and discuss ideas, thoughts, and various events. it also allows us to meet fellow jedi from all over the world, and it provides a place for those that are curious to find answers.

12)Is there a difference between an online environment and an offline one?

certainly, the online environment provides only for discussion, while the offline one provides both discussion and physical interaction.

13)What does being a Jedi constitute online?

i think whether it's online or offline it's the same, help when needed, act honorably, etc..

14)What does it mean to be a Jedi offline?

see above

15)Is one easier than the other?

not for me, as i stated earlier, i am who i am. whether it's online or off i'm the same person, i'd say the same things and do the same things.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #40997 by
Replied by on topic Re: Hi
Thank you very much! I do hope others will be as open =)

My interest isn't just academic - I've been involved with the community, on and off, since 1999. Used to frequent the Jedi Academy forums and was a member of the blue group in the Jedi Temple with Chris Tien Jinn and others.

Anyways, I might have some follow-up questions. Would you mind?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 9 months ago #41003 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Hi
not at all. growth is only achieved through learning and understanding, learning and understanding is achieved through communication.

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 9 months ago #41295 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Hi
Hello Pelar, welcome to TOTJO...

I too, am a member at the FA... However, I call TOTJO home, so I am here most often...

As I am here much more, I just have a question.... Do people stop in over there and have questionnaires for you all as well?

No offence intended, I have no trouble answering, but we do get them periodically.... :lol:

============================
How do you define Jedi?

We each will define it slightly, or even tremendously, different...

Personally, a I always try to do my best in every endeavor.... Even in the face of the likelihood of failure, I try to remain steadfast, unless a re-evaluation is in order... :lol:

How do you explain Jedi to others?

Since most folks have an idea of what a movie Jedi is, I say similar to that.... Without the movie magic.... haha...

I compare us, here at TOTJO being a Church and religious order, to modern monks.... looking for, and the spreading of, love, peace and understanding..... I am a martial artist, as many here are... Not everyone, mind you... But it is how I feel... ;)

What brought you to the Jedi idea and to the Jedi community online?

I tried finding a belief system that coincided with what I believed (as outlined above, I've believed this for a long time, and lived this life...:)...)...

I was looking for a way to start my own Jedi-esque belief system... I was first going to find a way to be ordained, the look up in Google, "how to start a religion" and work from that... I was in no hurry... After all, it is the journey not the destination... ;)...

TOTJO was exactly what I was looking for... The freedom of being myself without being criticized for it.... And the comrade of like minded individuals....

How do you relate to the SW fiction and the Jedi depicted there?

How do I relate to? I don't? I do not have enough information about them to compare myself to thrm... Those were fictional ideas of what a Jedi is.... I am simply trying to be me... The best me I can be...

Is there a difference between fictional Jedi and real life Jedi?

Yes...

Can you give an example of how the fiction affected your real life?

.... The fictional Jedi? Or fictional characters period? As I said, I only know the movie Jedi, I don't know any if the expanded universe...

So lets go with fictional characters from anywhere...

SW, of course, taught me to check the schedule of compacting in the trash compactors, in case one needs a quick getaway...

Snow White taught us not to take gifts from strangers...

Conan taught us that even of we have big muscles and a heavy accent, we can still be a good guy....

Neo taught us the Matrix is everywhere, just have to look...

In Madagascar, we learned that friends are important in strange situations... And, that, "I like to move it, move it... I like to move it, move it.... I like to..... MOVE IT!!"

In Kangaroo Jack, even though our parents love us... our stupidity makes them want to hire a hitman to kill us..

In Men in Black, there is so much out there, don't just contemplate the inner, be aware of the outer...

How important is your Jedi identity in your daily living?

Calling myself a Jedi did nothing... Learning what a Jedi is according to TOTJO, taught me, not everything, but a lot...

Do others know you're Jedi? Do you express it openly?

Yes...

If not -why?

N/A

Are there other parts of your identity that are similar in the sense that you prefer to keep them private (and are willing to share here)?

Not really... There are a couple of things I keep to myself.... But otherwise, I am pretty open... How can anyone learn from my experiences, good or bad, if I don't share?

What is the significance of the online website and forum?

It allows us to meet, and discuss these ideas with like-minded people, with whom we never would've been able to meet... Less likely to meet anyway...

I don't want someone, coming up to me, telling me about their religion... If I ask, that is one thing....

This allows us to slowly meet, and learn about others anonymously...

Is there a difference between an online environment and an offline one?

Yes, the online is cerebal only, versus the possibility of mental and the physical...

What does being a Jedi constitute online?

Depends on the site... As well as my training here at TOTJO, I am currently training at another site.. working my way through every site I can, one at a time... I didn't find a 'curriculum' at FA, readily available, or I might have started there.... ;)

What does it mean to be a Jedi offline?

Good question, again, it will vary with the individual...

Going back to, just doing good things... Ya know?

Being positive, helping others, do-gooder type stuff.... ;)

Is one easier than the other?

Again, I think hot sauce is not hot, you might burn your tongue...

I think each presents challenges, some of the concepts may be tough to understand for some, others may find the application of the thoughts and ideas more difficult....

I don't know, I find this whole concept incredibly interesting and intriguing...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #42867 by
Replied by on topic Re: Hi
Hey,

I'm glad to say I finished writing my paper.
Thanks a lot to those who helped! =)

If you're interested - you can take a look at the final product here (attached).

Attachment WeAreRealJedi.pdf not found

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi