About fast cars and broken heads

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 11 months ago #39287 by
I am a paramedic and was on duty tonight. My day started with a heavy motor vehicle accident - one badly injured. The street was wet, he accelerated too much and lost control over his car. His wife, also in the car, sustained no injuries. The man was badly injured on the head, his leg looked broken at least once. But they were both lucky, even with his injuries he was stable at the crash site and I believe he's going to make it.
The car got stuck under the conductor rail - half a meter more and both passanger and driver would probably ended up beheaded.

This was the second heavy accident within my past year of being a paramedic. The other crash victim was not that lucky - he sustained heavy injuries to his head including exit of brain tissue. He died at the crash site after my colleague and I unsucessfully tried to resuscitate him.
The young boy had been drunk, tried to cut a corner and frontally crashed into another car. Both passanger and driver of the other car remained unharmed - the boy didn't wear his safety belt, which turned out to be his death warrant.

Why am I sharing this with you?
Do not be mistaken, I don't try to arise compassion neither for me or those victims. Death is a part of life and part of my life as a paramedic is seeing people die - losing patients. It happen's and I can deal with it.

But what I really want to get through to all of you: I urge you, drive safely. After tonight, it really matters to me again to try and get the message out.
I've seen what speed and the resulting forces can do to a person and it's not something to be taken lightly. Please, take road safety seriously, wear your safetybelts, remind your passangers to do so as well. Don't speed and always be aware of the weather conditions.

I know that nowadays we're tempted to do things fast - everything has to happen fast, we're always late. But believe me, no matter what - it's just not worth it!

May the force be with you, always. And drive safely.

Very sincerely,
narkissos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi