Fear

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #3474 by
Fear was created by
Fear is a powerful biological feeling of unpleasant risk or danger, either real or imagined.

Psychologists such as John B. Watson and Paul Ekman have argued that fear, along with a few other basic emotions such as joy and anger, is innate in all human beings.
Fear may be a consideration in determining the wrongness of acts, in some views. Actions done under stress of fear, unless of course it be so intense as to have dethroned reason, are accounted the legitimate progeny of the human will, or are, as the theologians say, simply voluntary, and therefore imputable. The reason is obvious, such acts lack neither adequate inadvertence nor sufficient consent, even though the latter be elicited only to avoid a greater evil or one conceived to be greater. Inasmuch, however, as they are accompanied by a more or less vehement repugnance, they are said to be in a limited and partial sense of involuntary.

This has been something i have been thinking on for some time. and if fear is innate in all of us, then it is something we must strive to overcome. And this is what we are striving to do as Jedi, to become more than what we are. to overcome those feelings and master them. Obviously if they are innate we cannot deny them, but we can keep them from overpowering our ability to reason. Fear diminishes freedom of action.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 10 months ago #3476 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Fear
Indeed as Jedi we should loose this paralysing fear of the unknown. Certainly the light of Faith will give us the necessary insight to see beyond the boundaries of our real world and look into the invisible. We have to make our world a bigger place, and only then can we wonder at its grandeur.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #3477 by
Replied by on topic Re:Fear
I tend to slightly disagree. Fear can be a powerful tool of discernment. I believe it is innate and therefore part of life itself. Use your fear to help you judge a situation, but don't let your fear use you. That is where the problems come in. When people are slaves to their fears, they become prisoners in their own little worlds. I am afraid of heights and the dark, but look at my choice of career. I will not be a slave to my fears, but that does not mean I do not have them. I simply have them in a backup folder at the bottom of my hard drive.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 10 months ago #3478 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Fear
I agree with you also Bishop Serric. Fear can, given the right influence, save your life. Even though my experiences are not to be compared with that of the military, in my everyday life experiences fear has helped me to keep on the ball eg in examinations: to keep awake, concerntrated, expect the unexpected... . Fear is also an important instinct to keep someone alive!

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #3479 by
Serric wrote:

I tend to slightly disagree. Fear can be a powerful tool of discernment. I believe it is innate and therefore part of life itself. Use your fear to help you judge a situation, but don't let your fear use you. That is where the problems come in. When people are slaves to their fears, they become prisoners in their own little worlds. I am afraid of heights and the dark, but look at my choice of career. I will not be a slave to my fears, but that does not mean I do not have them. I simply have them in a backup folder at the bottom of my hard drive.

Exactly what i've said...cannot deny, But Master. Different Words for the same thing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #3492 by
I would really pose the thought of fear not being innate. Either that, or possibly that just because something is natural, does not mean that it cannot be completely overcome, so as not to control it even, but, enveloping that, to make it non existent in one's own psyche.

I say this because there were other innate \"feelings\" mentioned. Such as anger. This is where my ideas on the matter come from, because I feel no such emotion. It has been a long time for me since I have ever felt anything remotely close to anger, and I cannot comprehend any possible situation that would produce such a feeling. I remember being angry as a much younger child, but to a great extent, many \"innate\" senses or feelings I cannot presently even comprehend experiencing.

I know that holds no legitimacy, as 1) Just because I cannot comprehend something, doesnt mean it cannot happen, and 2) I could have just locked it away so well in my subconscious mind, so as to not even recognize it.

But then, thats where faith comes in, faith in myself to know myself.

I think fear can be completely overcome. It may be dangerous to walk this route, but I think one of the easiest ways to achieve something like that may be a path of certain apathy, or sure happiness with a pre-accepted future.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi