Depression Group Idea

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 8 months ago #33233 by
Replied by on topic Re:Depression Group Idea
Its been said a few times that we are here to help but we aint counsellors

Also be warned (mainly applies to senior members) that some of us have a legal responsibility and duty to report to authorities a person we feel is in danger either by their own hand or others.

But as said - we are all open to post if we have something on our minds and we will all try to help each other, we have in the past, we continue to do so and will do so for as long as were needed.

If you cant post in public - you can contact any member you choose by pm

Clergy of all the rites are able to take confession etc and have the same duties as (for example) catholic priests

The chat room DOES have private area functionality - the site admins and mods have these powers in chat.

I do feel a directory of outside bodies around the world would be a great idea, with contact details etc - as mentioned the american depression group or the Samaritans based in the UK.

Like many things in life - the road to hell is paved with good intentions, so care must be taken with such things.

Just my thought and

MTFBWY- A

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #33246 by
Here is my example (will change as I find more and edit more)

Depression Assistance

Depression is a hard and painful struggle, and some of us have and will need a hand. Below are some resources to help those in need. Along with these resources if you would like to just talk about you're tough time The clergy here can take confession or just talk to you...

I would like to recommend seeing professional help or calling one of the numbers below if you are contemplating suicide as we are not professionals or counselors just people wishing to help our community.

These are Toll free and open 24/7
Most of these are through either Samaritans or other national hotline services

Australia
1800-198-313

Germany
0800 1110 111
0800 1110 222

Republic of Ireland
1850-60-90-90

United Kingdom
0457-90-90-90

United States
1-800-784-2433
1-800-273-TALK

Alternative Lifestyle Help
Homosexual, Bisexual, Transexual, etc
http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by .

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
13 years 8 months ago #33248 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Depression Group Idea
Excellent Br. Jasper. Wonderfull and thank you. Maybe we can open an easy to see and access slot for this in the menu on the left.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33310 by
I think a group or something like that would be an excellent idea. We all go through tough times and need someone to talk to. And some of us probaly suffer from chronic depression. It could be a helpful tool for any of those people. Personally I've battled depression on and off for a few years now. It seemed to have \"went away\" (a remission I guess you could call it, or a period of time without it at least) for a year or so and I thought it was all okay, but in the past few months it has come back with a vengence. Sometimes it would be nice to have a place to talk to someone or just \"vent\". It could be useful for even someone who has had just a rough week and wants to talk about it.

Some ideas I think could work would be: a private chat (password enabled as mentioned by others). Or maybe a section of the forum for it. And if it were to go that route, maybe make it semi-private also, where you had to be approved by an admin before viewing or posting there. I've seen that work fairly well in some cases. It keeps out people who just want to \"snoop\" or anyone who just wants to say something bad to people who are already down.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33312 by
there is a private chat, left clicking on someone's name in chat allows you to click on \"Private Message\" which is private between you and the person you click on and works as a private room in a sense... so it is easy to do private chats like that if you ever need to talk... though it may be good to include that info in any final post I do

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33326 by
Cynthia wrote:

It keeps out people who just want to \"snoop\" or anyone who just wants to say something bad to people who are already down.

I can only speak for myself but such activity is not welcome on this site - ive seen it before (inappropriate posts in sensitive threads) and I for one have a zero tolerance attitude to it - and it remains my policy (as an admin). We have had such posts in the past and dealt with them swiftly - members have been banned for it, thats how seriously we take it.

I would like to think (and hope) that all members both Jedi and non-jedi have the brains and heart to know what is suitable or otherwise in such threads - it is very easy for us to create a thread/section that is visible to members only - I believe the journals section is already setup in this manner.

Of course - no system is 100% fool proof - but we have a large enough team admins/mods who can edit/delete inappropriate posts and failing that, any member is able to report/pm any admin mod if they spot a post they feel is bad (in whatever thread)

I am only speaking on my own behalf here but im reasonably sure my words would echo those of the other members in admin position (even if im not quite as eloquent ans some :D )

Once again - if anyone needs another viewpoint or a cybershoulder to cry on, a cyber ear to bend, my PM box and that of others are always open, or chat etc - just ask :)

The idea of the numbers going somewhere easy to find is a good one :)

MTFBWY - A

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 7 months ago #33541 by
Here's the realty of it. A disclaimer will not protect anybody from lawsuits. A good lawyer can pick apart a disclaimer.

But I do believe we should do something. The very nature of our group attracts people from outside of the mainstream, and many times those people have had extreme difficulties in life. We can't attempt to counsel them without the training to do so.

I would also like to mention that the suicide rate for homosexual teenagers is alarmingly high. I have a suspicion that since the mainstream religions are so hostile towards homosexuals, many may be coming here for guidance. So I'd like to add some resources for them, as well, if they are experiencing hard times. I just want them to remember that if people are bullying them at school or in the neighborhood, it does get better. Anyway, here's a good website for them that I hope we can include in this information.

http://www.thetrevorproject.org/

Maybe we can put this information is a publicly viewable and easily found place.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 7 months ago #33553 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Depression Group Idea
This is true, a disclaimer will not protect from being the target of a lawsuit, people in grief or vengence mode will try anything to placate their grief....

But....

I would think, (do we have any lawyers here?), the Good Samaritan Laws would help us in that regard... If we claim no professional capacity, but that the groups listed ARE indeed professionals.... and may help...

You can never guarantee anything...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi