Depression Group Idea

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 8 months ago #33208 by
Depression Group Idea was created by
I remember Brother Mark putting up a thread in the pagan rite forum, and I was for this idea then, I thought that in light of the recent events here at the temple it may be a good time to revisit the idea and look around a bit.

People get depressed... extreme, violent, painful and sad events happen all around us, and I tend to look inward and wonder what can help others to get through their demons to live their lives... I went through some pretty hard times, lost friends, saw death, and I've got to admit, I barely survived those times, luck and some of the most wonderful friends got me through it. I've gotten through PTSD, and have fought many battles with my own demons, and I know how much it means to have someone to talk to.

My idea now is to have a list of Members willing to chat or talk with people here at the temple... not depending on rite or rank, but open to all who come here and are willing to try to get help, this would be confidential of course. Possibly with some depression awareness intertwined in the post, having a link to this somewhere on the main page, side bars or somewhere easily accessible would also be ideal

Ideas, Criticization, etc is welcome

Also, if anyone would like to assist in a project like this or willing to be one of the members that can chat with others feel free to chime in

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 8 months ago #33211 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Depression Group Idea
this is a good idea...

i'm pretty certain that any member of the clergy/council as well as any of the knights/masters would be more then willing to lend their availability to this.

we're just a message away, and many of us have been down a rough road or two so we do know what it's like to have problems and need someone to talk to about it.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #33213 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Depression Group Idea
Certainly this is a good and very Jedi idea. And like any virus or bacteria which are locked inside those demons can make us ill. So talking is necessary process of ridding ourselves of any potential illness. It might be a good idea to set up a place for privacy in chat ( a chat room), and a place in the forum as a point of reference so these members know where to look and go without having to make their problems known to the world.

It is dangerous however if you are dealing with a serious psycological case, or the person advising has either no idea or has problems of their own. Also those doing the \"counselling\" have to be prepared that in the extreme case that a person may commit suicide because of what was said. Are you prepared to take the consequences? Then it has to be clear that TOTJO do not take any responsability for what was said, that this rests solely in the hands of the participants, to avoid us all being made liable or even be jailed.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Jon.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 8 months ago #33214 by
Replied by on topic Re:Depression Group Idea
As Br.Jasper has mentioned, we have a post in the Pagan Rite forum listing those clergy willing to offer support/confession/etc as well as perform ceremonies. I am more than willing to extend this idea to the whole of the site and hereby add my name to the list.

Fr.Jon makes a good point and perhaps the legality of this situation should be checked before offering anything that could fall outside the scope of the \"spiritual support\" that we can officially offer.

Having said that, there are probably those of us who are covered in this area. I myself have had training in various therapies, and while this does not strictly include counselling, it will fall under the shamanic work that I am trained in, have certificates for, and (more importantly in the eyes of the law) have public liability insurance for.

I would hope that these issues can be ironed out so that we can provide all the support that is needed for whichever member requests it. Count me in - if I can do anything to help, just let me know!

MTFBWY

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #33215 by Jon
I still would like a disclaimer that frees TOTJO from any responsability.If as EC member TOTJO gets sued, I get sued, and then my family. And despite any experience anyone may have none of us are trained pycotherapist. This is on line and we do not really know who we are dealing with.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Jon.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 8 months ago #33216 by
Fr Jon,
I'm glad you are bringing up all the legal aspects, I must admit that I didn't think of that aspect, and I agree fully that we should have both a disclaimer, and make sure that those offering help are not at risk or understand the risks of legal trouble. This is why I made the post to voice ideas first :-)

Another, possibly safer idea...

It might also be worth looking into some of the public service groups that offer assistance, and include links and numbers for various regions so that people can get the help they need without putting caring people into legal situations.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
13 years 8 months ago #33218 by Jon
If there is a disclaimer and the people who offer their services are clear then I am with you too on this. The idea of professional and public services which you suggested is an excellent idea Br. Jasper.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 8 months ago #33219 by
this seems to be a good resource for the US... its a start :http://suicidehotlines.com/

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 8 months ago #33221 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Depression Group Idea
Possibily a directory? in the left column? Following this thread would not be expediante if someone needs help quickly, but then Google would be faster if just looking for help.....

I definatly think that this ideas time has come, and a directory locale specific, would be appropriate, but sometimes, just having an ear to talk to is all that is required.... Occasionally, I speak about things that bother me in the chat, but I do not feel I need a regular therapist....... but I find it is like speaking to a friend or two, verses actually speaking to a professional...

In this lawsuit crazy world, a disclaimer would be good and, sad to say, a necessity. Lawyer written, (do we have any lawyers here? in a temple? really? I had to go there?), and legally protective for the Temple as well as the individual...

I do think a private chat area is also a good idea, password enabled or something, I do not know the problems with doing this, but the current private chat currently in use is a bit tiny, maybe if the window was capable of being enlarged,or popped open to mirror the chat window.... just a thought...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
13 years 8 months ago #33230 by Damion_Storm
I do like the idea of having something in-house to help people that are struggling with depression and in some churches that falls to the bishop and clergy members. I have not met anyone on this site that would turn a fellow member down that was seeking help. As it has been mentions a couple times before the issue comes in liability and in my current job that is a major focal point. and sadly action and inaction can both bee viewed in terms of liability. so While it is great to have a group to help this group should also know when to say i am here as your friend but it is time that you call a professional. There is a National Depression hotline here in the US not sure about other countries. I would also be willing to look for some type of Depression Counseling training.

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

Active Apprentices: None
Former Apprentices: Cynthia, Alexandre Orion, Reliah, Archon

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi