Humility in comparative religions!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #3197 by
Humility is a quality or characteristic ascribed to a person who is considered to be humble. \"Humility is derived from the Latin word \"humilis\", which means low, humble, from earth. A humble person is generally thought to be unpretentious and modest: someone who does not think that he or she is better or more important than others. The concept of humility in various religions is often much more precise and extensive. Humility is not to be confused with humiliation, which is the act of making someone else feel ashamed, and is something completely different.

Humility in Buddhism

In Buddhism, humility is equivalent to concern of how to be liberated from the sufferings of life and the vexations of the human mind. The ultimate aim is to achieve a state of enlightenment through meditation and other spiritual practices. Humility can also result from achieving the liberation of Nirvana. When one experiences the ultimate Emptiness and non-self, one is free from suffering, vexations and all illusions of self-deception. Humility, compassion and wisdom characterize this state of enlightenment.

Chan (Zen) Master Li Yuansong states that enlightenment can come only after humility - the wisdom of realizing one's own ignorance, insignificance and lowliness, without which one cannot see the truth.

Humility in Christianity

St. Thomas Aquinas defines humility similarly as \"the virtue of humility\".Catholic texts view humility as annexed to the cardinal virtue of temperance. It is viewed as a potential part of temperance because temperance includes all those virtues that refrain or express the inordinate movements of our desires or appetites.

Humility is defined as, \"A quality by which a person considering his own defects has a humble opinion of himself and willingly submits himself to God and to others for God's sake.\" St. Bernard defines it as, \"A virtue by which a man knowing himself as he truly is, abases himself.\"

St. Thomas Aquinas, a 13th century philosopher and theologian in the Scholastic tradition, defines humility similarly as \"the virtue of humility\" that \"consists in keeping oneself within one's own bounds, not reaching out to things above one, but submitting to one's superior\" (Summa Contra Gent., bk. IV, ch. lv, tr. Rickaby).

Humility is said to be the foundation of the spiritual edifice and inferior only to faith. However, humility is considered the first virtue inasmuch as it removes the obstacles to faith. It removes pride and makes a man subject to and a fit recipient of grace; according to the words of St. James, \"God resisteth the proud, and giveth his grace to the humble\" (James 4:6).

\"True humility\" is distinctly different from \"false humility \"False humility\" consists of deprecating one's own sanctity, gifts, talents, and accomplishments for the sake of receiving praise or adulation from others.

Humility comprises the following behaviors and attitudes
submission to God and legitimate authority;
recognition of the virtues and talents that others possess, particularly those which surpass one's own, and giving due honor and, when required, obeisance;
recognition of the limits of one's talents, ability, or authority; and, not reaching for that which is beyond one's grasp
The vices opposed to humility are: (A) pride (by reason or defect). (B) a too great obsequiousness or abjection of oneself; this would be considered an excess of humility,and could easily be derogatory to a man's office or holy character; or it might serve only to pamper pride in others, by unworthy flattery, which would occasion their sins of tyranny, arbitrariness, and arrogance. The virtue of humility may not be practiced in any external way which would occasion vices in others.

Amongst the benefits of humility described in the Bible are honor, wisdom, eternal life, unity, rewards in heaven and others. In the Bible, an exhortation to humility is found in Philippians 2:1-17:

1 Peter 2:23, concerning Jesus Christ's behavior in general and submission to unjust torture and execution in particular: \"When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.\" (1 Peter 2:23 NIV)

Humility in Islam

In the Qur'an, Allah uses Arabic words conveying the meaning of \"humility.\" Among these are \"tada'a\" and \"khasha'a\":

\"Before thee We sent messengers to many nations, and We afflicted the nations with suffering and adversity, that they call Allah in humility. When the suffering reached them from Us, why then did they not call Allah in humility? On the contrary, their hearts became hardened, and Satan made their sinful acts seem alluring to them.\" (Al-Anaam 6:42-43)

\"Successful indeed are the believers, those who humble themselves in their prayers.\" (Al-Muminoon 23:1-2). \"Has not the time arrived for the believers that their hearts in all humility should engage in the remembrance of Allah and of the Truth which has been revealed to them.\"(Al-Hadid 57:16)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 10 months ago #3287 by Jon
Thank you Bishop Tom. I haven`t thought much about this since I`ve left the order. When I think about it I`m so full of other things (worries, thoughts, plans.... ) that important things tend to be left on the wayside.
I see humility as a way of emptying yourself of all these \"other things\". To become an empty vessel, free to take on a new \"wine\". In doing this may be it would be easier to see the things as they are, without preconceptions or opinions. The best teacher on this is probably my daughter. She sees things and wonders. For her the world is like a big playground. For her the moment is there to be taken. When she is upset she cries, when she is happy she laughs. Nothing more nothing less. Its true what Christ said about being like children to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. For us adults simple life has become quite an ordeal.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #3288 by
To become the preverbial \"Tabula Rasa\". Yes I agree.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 10 months ago #3289 by Jon
This is a quite frightening idea! Especially in the case of my daughter. Each day I am co-responsible for my daughter loosing her naturalness, which we as adults would term as humility. Strange! Looking at it in this way, \"humility\" is a foreign word in the vocabulary of a child.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #3292 by
Humility is not something that is accepted by our society as a whole. Evereything seems to be ruled by pride. \"Look what I have done\" or \"Look what I own\" and so on. When we actually see someone that is humble, it catches us by surprise as something that is rare. It is a very sad state of affairs.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #3295 by
The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.
~Confucius, The Confucian Analects

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 10 months ago #3304 by Jon
As I was nursing the old folks, all very much dependent on my and the help of my colleagues, I tried to think as to how humility comes about. Even though I get paid for my work I do it because I feel it is the right thing to do.
I do not pretend to be a model of humility but the act of nursing could be seen as an act of humility. First you have to recognise who you have in front of you. Second you have to understand that person (in his/her \"Sitz im Leben\". Then you act for that person (either doing something, or taking a back seat). Important is that humility demand the presence of two or more persons.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi