An Argument for Sithism?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 weeks ago #30118 by
An Argument for Sithism? was created by
My wife just sent me this link:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03/genocide-and-jedi-why-the-sith-may-be-right-in-old-republic.ars

Your Thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #30120 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic Re:An Argument for Sithism?
don't care too much...
its not part of the original

is like videogames.
so I'm not going to say anything... just, if you do not respect human life, or you are taking care of you more than each other, and you are a Jedi... you are in the dark side...
You can be in sync with the force... but, what are you going to do with that...

at the end, is not in what side you stand, is what you do...

you can say I'm a Jedi, not a sith, but if you kill someone for your own benefit, sorry you are a sith, even if you like to be in the right side.

just do not put tags to anyone.. watch, and learn, watch and take your own conclusion... it don't matter tag, or what others try to show you.

everything is up to you,

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 weeks ago #30121 by
Replied by on topic Re:An Argument for Sithism?
I was just referring to the theory of how heavily the Jedi searched and tried to defeat the Sith. Actively looking to fight the Sith has its basis in the more primal emotions. Are they trying to defeat the Sith out of Fear for Others' Lives? Or were they angry about what the Sith had done?

I'm reminded of a story from Ancient Japan about a Samurai who was about to kill an enemy, when the enemy spit in his face. Immediately, the Samurai disengaged and lowered his sword. When the opponent asked him why he didn't strike him down, the Samurai told him that before he was spit on, he was fighting for his Lord. Immediately after though, he was fighting for his anger. This went against Bushido, so he didn't kill the man.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 weeks ago #30125 by
Charmaynard, nice quote from the Campbell lectures! ;)

I think the Sith that populate this (and other sites) would disagree about their perceived \"evil\" nature. As I understand it, Jedi and Sith are both working towards a common good: the Jedi achieve this through resolution, diplomacy and a more passive approach whereas the Sith cultivate personal power to achieve this (as opposed to using that power for the own ends - that's left to the movie Sith).

So a \"real world\" Sith would not dream of something like murder. The problem comes with trying to overlay fictional Jedi ways (and yes, 666, videogames are considered to be canon) with those of Jediism as we know it. We, as Jedi, do not hold a status equal to that of our movie counterparts, for example: those Jedi wore robes as symbols of keepers of the peace; the Police have their uniforms for that in our world.

So I cannot imagine that we would ever be in a position of having to \"hunt down\" Sith to protect ourselves and society because our Sith are not their Sith.

But it raises an interesting question: would you be prepared to fight for what you believe in? Or to spill blood to protect the greater good? That, I believe, is the central core of this issue: would that classify as \"going too far\" and therefore not the Jedi way?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 weeks ago #30129 by
I would be willing to whatever it takes to defend the honor and general well-being of someone that could not defend themselves.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 weeks ago #30130 by
Me too, which is why I'm being drawn towards studying aikido alongside my existing fudoshin kickboxing. That way I can be sure of being able to stop an attacker without harming them either. I'm not comfortable with the idea of hurting someone, no matter what the situation so perhaps that is the best solution.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #30133 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:An Argument for Sithism?
The movie Sith, are like the movie Jedi, fictional. We all agree on that.

And trying to second guess a fictional societies way of thinking is impossible.

Also, if I remember correctly, Sith are Jedi.

To use the Samuri story, we (the Jedi here at TOTJO) are the samuri in the story.

If my understanding of the Sith Jedi is correct, then in this story, the Sith samuri would still have killed the man. They do not mind the emotional side of an act. It would seem easier to kill a man you hate, versus killing one out of duty to another's hate.

Emotion. That is what the Sith use for, the betterment of all, their opinion of betterment. Love as well as hate. Where we here at TOTJO hink it is better to use reason and logic to move through life. Not that we do not experiance emotion, but we try to be logical in decision making.

Excuse typos, this is entered from my phone.

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 weeks ago #30134 by
MarkAnjuu wrote:

So I cannot imagine that we would ever be in a position of having to \"hunt down\" Sith to protect ourselves and society because our Sith are not their Sith.

But it raises an interesting question: would you be prepared to fight for what you believe in? Or to spill blood to protect the greater good? That, I believe, is the central core of this issue: would that classify as \"going too far\" and therefore not the Jedi way?

And there we boil it down: Is taking one life in exchange for 1,000 worth it? And if so, is it worth it to Save just One Life? We all have taken a vow to preserve life as much as we can, and hopefully, none of us will have to break that, or for my fellow soldiers out there, that already have. Is taking an evil life turn you towards the Dark Side? A life, however Evil, is still a life.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #30135 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:An Argument for Sithism?
sometimes in order to do good, someone has to do something bad...for example, in order to save a hostage a sniper would have to shoot a terrorist...the means may be dark or light, but if the outcome is light that is all that matters...

if you read through the great jedi holocron it gives a description of the various jedi/sith/krath now after reading it look deep into yourself and you will find that you do not fit neatly into any single category. i myself possess many traits characterized as sith,grey jedi,etc....to me i am simply jedi as would be anyone in tune with the force whether they have darker views or lighter views. it is our intent that shows our true nature. do we intend to harm or do we intend to help? that is a question that only the individual can answer.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #30142 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic Re:An Argument for Sithism?
you are all right, just for me is so simple...
what you do, is what I see,

you can be a jedi... yes (not the movie one), but if you try to HUNT someone ... mmmm ... you need to have a really good excuse, or you are breaking your own code.

its easy.

life , truth, balance, equilibrium, force

Cristal clear... when is not.... smell fishy

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi