True Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28084 by
Replied by on topic Re:True Jedi
the body is divine. the body channels the force. emotions are the sensations and feelings of the body. there for emotions are divine - they are expressions of the force. feelings are intuition.

be excepting emotions, a person accepts the sensitive side of the force.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #28085 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:True Jedi
Too much of anything and too little of anything can prove to be a hazard whether it be emotions, thoughts, sprituality, the physical and even plain old water for that matter. Too much water can damage the brain just as dehydration can. So what`s the big deal about emotions as far as Jedi are concerned? As RedHeron pointed out attachment is an issue; Master Garm told a story once about two monks who carried a young woman across the road and one couldn`t let go because he continued to talk about it whereas the other let go of her once on the other side. Understanding or insight is another important issue, knowing what another needs. Sometimes we are under the impression of helping others, when exactly the opposite is the case. In academic circles this is called the \"helping syndrome\". For example an old man drops his walking stick, the natural thing to do and what most people would do, is to pick it up for him. Only what they don`t think about is that slowly this man will loose the flexibility of body to bend down any more. Its about good self estimation, knowing yourself, putting yourself in someone elseses shoes and less about control whether of yourself or the other. Self control as Redheron pointed out only bulds up explosive pressure. It is through experience, feelings, understanding and trusting that things happen and not through some kind of juggling or balancing act.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Jon.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28087 by
Jon wrote, \"It is through experience, feelings, understanding and trusting that things happen and not through some kind of juggling or balancing act.\"

Maybe I should tell you what I mean and you give me the words to say it, lol.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28100 by
Just wanted to point out that self-control is very much the Jedi way; on the other hand, outright suppression of emotions of any kind is not the same as retaining composure, and is unhealthy.

All of that I got from the films--principles which have been true throughout history, without regard to religion, and therefore universal in nature. (Specifically, Episode III deals with Anakin Skywalker's obsessive emotional attachment to Padme, while Episode II shows the beginnings of that attachment.)

Got some hints of James Redfield (Celestine Prophecy) in both of those films, too.

But the point is that nobody really can be completely devoid of attachment and yet remain connected to those around them. Therefore, the limitation of attachment and the willingness to separate from that which you care about most is necessary, rather than to risk the well-being of everyone around you for the sake of personal gain.

That's the difference between \"light side\" and \"dark side\": the personal choice to be selfish, versus the choice to be selfless. There is an element of the opposite in each.

We can't eliminate evil in the world (it's necessary for balance). We can only resist it in ourselves. Thus, our inward focus and choices reflect in our actions and activities, and the end result is gain for everyone including the self, or loss for everyone excluding the self. There is no gain in the Dark Side path; only prevention of loss. In this, we learn to recognize selfish aims and can steer away from them. Our capacity for evil is equalled only by our capacity for good.

I also want to point out that Mace Windu's downfall was to \"save the Jedi Order\" in Episode III... this showed an attachment to the Jedi Order--he feared the loss of something he held dear, and wound up being the catalyst which opened the way for Anakin Skywalker to turn to the Dark Side (again, this is a fictional example, but very much illustrating the point of the dangers of attachment).

At least, this is my own perspective. I would love to hear others' perspectives, too (contrasting, opposing, agreeing, or indifferent... so long as it's not demeaning or derogatory, all sides are welcome).

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 3 months ago #28104 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:True Jedi
i was going to mention that by not allowing the connections to their community the jedi in the movies set themselves up to be destroyed, by allowing attachment anakin set himself up to fall, as did windu set himself up to die. as humans we need emotional connections, but we need to be able to let go of those connections when the time comes. it's in our nature to try and preserve things in a permanent state...the problem is that nothing is permanent.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28225 by
I agree with you, Red Heron.
Jedi don't rely on their emotions to make decisions; however, we don't supress them either.

Obviously in certain situations, such as this Haiti disaster, it is perfectly fine to incorporate emotions. In my, humble, opinion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28237 by
Compassion isn't attachment.

Charity implies that one expects nothing in return (thus there is no danger of attachment).

Assistance in relief of the suffering of others implies both charity and compassion. Therefore, relief efforts to Haiti are (and correct me if I'm wrong) perfectly in line with the Jedi ways.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 3 months ago #28239 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:True Jedi
quite right charity and compassion are not forms of attachment, love could be seen as both a means of attachment and as another form of compassion. there is nothing wrong with love as long as we can let go of it when the time comes ie: when someone close to us dies we must let go of the attachment love created in order to prevent the suffering that can follow from loss. death is not the end. another example would be a relationship that falls apart, if you can't let go then all the negative emotions will become corrosive and eat at you turning you into a hollow shell filled with darkness.

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 3 months ago #28242 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:True Jedi
Compassion, charity or love are not attachment, otherwise they would not be what they are. There are of course compulsive behaviours, those who compensate for personal deficiencies, opportunists for image boosting etc. Then they cease to be what they are. Motivation and intent are the alpha and omega. No one can judge this except the person who alledgedly is supposed to be compassionate, caritative or loving, or the one at the receiving end. Very often what seems to be compassion, charity or love isn`t and vice versa. The saying that someone has been loved to death is not for nothing.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28325 by
Dunno how I missed this thread so some of what im going to say will seem a bit late

Those who have put up with me kicking my heels around the halls here for last couple of years will know what im about to say (probably) but remember that this is MY view and not TOTJO 'policy'

In my mind - anyone who tries to erase all emotion etc from their minds is headed for one destiny - insanity (and the force knows most of us are lunatics anyway :D)

Just think think about (or do some research) on how the brain and body works - how can you 'control' autonomic biochemical and electrical nerve impulses? - you cant - and every time you try to shut em off - youd just be disappointed and dwon the slippery slope of depression youll slip (ooohhh another emotion)

However - most real world Jedi(ist) and I believe this has been talked about here already - will say that the key is not 'suppression' or even 'control' but simple acknowledgement and understanding - not only of your own but others thoughts, feelings, emotions, wants, needs etc.

Its ok to get angry when life kicks your ass (or mule :D) but its NOT ok to vent your anger on others - especially those who are totally not to blame. Think carefully before you speak/act - and be sure that whatever you do - you wont regret.

Ive said it a thousand times but 'do unto others as youd have others do unto you' and you cant stray too far from a pleasant journey.

As a final note - has Anakin not been present - Windu would surely have killed palpatine - once again - Anakin was a tool of palpatine - a moments distraction is all it took for Windu to be spanked - think about the inadvertent mind games anakin used to distract Windu (part of Palpatines manipulation?) - 'its not the Jedi way' - then 30seconds later 'I submit to your teachings Master...' (arise Lord Vader yadda yadda yoda)

MTFBWY - A

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi