True Jedi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28055 by
True Jedi was created by
A true Jedi does have feeling and emotions coursing through them, but instead of letting those feeling make decisions , the Jedi should take the best course of action with a clear mind, with no distractions.

It is human nature for theses feelings to bubble to the surface every now and again, but only in helping others in need. Though some people will try and take advantage of your \"lapse\", do not be discouraged from helping others when they need it, even if is an emotional response.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28060 by
Replied by on topic Re:True Jedi
Did someone say we didn't?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28063 by
There are a lot of people who believe that being a Jedi is being void of emotion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28064 by
Yes, well... did something specific start this, or are you just posting it?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28066 by
Trying to find any other views on the subject.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28068 by
Okay, so, how's this:

When we suppress something such as an idea, we increase its force disproportionately to the suppression which is applied: we make it stronger. These are things which must be at least acknowledged, or they grow.

Likewise, if we fail to acknowledge our emotions, they increase exponentially until a critical mass occurs. Simply purging or expelling emotions doesn't deal with them. However, allowing your emotions to be anything more than a basic guide to what is happening around you is to risk being ruled by your passions. This kind of control is what was written into Anakin Skywalker's plot line, as his love for Padme was so overwhelming and obsessive that it was used to ultimately control his actions. It is a principle we also see throughout history, and in modern-day stories of the way that people are corrupted. They might begin with noble ideals, but if they don't gain control over themselves, they ultimately lead down the \"Dark Side\" path of self-destruction.

This is a plot device that George Lucas used, but it has also been true when used in espionage during past wars (especially the Cold War). It is something that has been true of modern-day politics. The principles of outright suppression, repression and oppression are neither healthy nor good. Anyone who says otherwise is ignoring 4,500 years of recorded history.

Emotions can, however, be a great guide to awareness. They can indicate when and where something is wrong (that \"nagging feeling\" or \"alarm bells\" or whatever we opt to call them). But when we love a thing so much that we cannot bear to lose it, that is where we ultimately lose ground. A Jedi must be willing to separate himself from everything he loves, or be controlled by it to the detriment of all else. This requires that the aims of the individual must be to avoid attachment where it does not exist, and to check attachment where it does.

I've noticed (as one example) that people are attached to ranks, positions, and duties. They are attached to TOTJO. They are attached to family, friends, community, and even to duty. None of these is necessarily negative unless it is used as a means to exercise control over others. If we are controlled by our emotional attachments, we are ineffective as individuals (never mind Jedi).

This is probably one of many ideas, but it's the one I'm going with for the moment.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28069 by
Exactly

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28075 by
/Agreed

You never cease to amaze me RedHeron.

I vote to have that statement stickied.

Alright enough butt kissing, acknowledgment of our emotions and dealing with them in a constructive way are some of the most basic disciplines we as Jedi should be focusing on. Aren't we always stressing to be mindful of our emotions? So long as we recognize the warning signs there is nothing wrong (in my opinion) in expressing the full spectrum of emotions.

These are even the same things that people who have attempted suicide, and have been hospitalized for illnesses like bi-polar disorder, are taught even on day one of treatment.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 3 months ago #28079 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:True Jedi
if we were to be completely devoid of emotion we would lose the very thing that makes us human, however if were to allow ourselves to be over-run by our emotions we lose the very thing that makes us civilized. emotion is a double edged sword, powerful,and useful, while simultaneously creating weakness, and destruction.....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28081 by
Agreed. The trick is keeping a balance that benefits the world that you live in and is affected by you. In my world, my balance is 99% emotions in check and 1% letting them be known. Mainly because my job is in customer service and for the fact that I have lots of hobbies that deflect my negative emotions. I practice BJJ and boxing, read alot, collect coins and ride my motorcycle as much as humaly possible to cleanse the mind.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi