Question: can martial aspect of jedism be discussed on this site?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27774 by
is this site strictly concerned with the philosophical aspect of jediism and any mention of the martial aspects will be shut down or redirect?

i have tried to create threads to discuss the martial aspects and they all seem to get shut down or off track. they reflect either on the philosophical aspects or safety concerns.

for me being a jedi does include the physical and martial practice of the sword, be it foam, wood or plastic.

i am simply wondering if the martial portion of jediism is permitted or accepted on this site or not?

let me know what you think.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27776 by
In my opinion,absolutly
half the reason I started taking a martial art is to become a more complete jedi.

More
14 years 4 months ago #27778 by Br. John
Martial Arts, Physical Fitness, Healthy Living and all such things are most welcome and part of valuable discussion.

Jedi use these abilities for self-defense, defense of the helpless and to maintain health.

Founder of The Order

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 4 months ago #27782 by Jon
Why shouldn`t there be room for this, and certainly physical fitness (as far as health allows) is an important part of Jediism (but not a condition to be a Jedi), after all our bodies are our Temples. For me it is difficult to talk about sword etc because in Germany most weapons are illeagal (probability I would get arrested), I have a child and don`t want her getting her hands on them, also the policing system is so tight and high level of public safety render this unneccesary.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 4 months ago #27786 by RyuJin
to talk of martial training without talking of philosophy would be an incomplete conversation....in the very old days martial arts were taught alongside philosophy, look at zen buddhism, or shaolin kung fu...it's even more so with the jedi. martial training, philosophy, and education are all aspects of being jedi, no one aspect is more important then the others and as such a discussion of one will often find it's way into another. it's simply the ebb and flow of things.

even the greatest rivers change course over time

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27791 by
In a simple sentance

Yes the martial portion is 'allowed' in fact it is widely and openlypromoted BUT it isnt compulsory (for many reasons not restricted too but including health etc)

Some sites are of the mind that a martial art is compulsory to be a jedi so is this right or indeed fair to (for example) a sevice person who lost limbs whilst serving their nation?

Are any of us to say 'you cant be a jedi because you cant be a martial artist'

We as Jedi (at least within the halls of TOTJO) promote fairnes, justice, equality etc etc - but importantly - freedom to choose.

Jediism is not a dogmatic faith (not the 'real world' form anyway)

If we were to have some sort of anti-martial art/fitness thing going on - wouldnt the simple fact we have an entire forum section dedicated to the very topics be a bit dumb and hipocracy?

However - id like to point out that the martial aspect didnt come into criticsm - I promoted the question about discrimination due to your very words along the lines of 'I feel a Jedi should have a martial art' - if you took offense - well, as youve possibly guessed, we also promote open and frank discussion - there are many points of view to any single topic - in fact as many points of view as folk roaming the earth.

What we are somewhat careful is is to distinguish between the real world anf sci fi fictional world created by mr lucas (all rights reserved) as a newly founded faith - we all have an unhill struggle with gaining credibility in the wider world - is this off topic - yes but here is why ive posted it

Lightsabers are one of the main things that spring to folks minds when the term 'Jedi' is mentioned - along with ideas that we worship statues of yoda etc. I for one admit to enjoying collecting and designing/building hilts - but I did this BEFORE becomeing a 'jedi' anyway - there is so much more to be studied than the fictional universe - the real universe is just as (if not more so) wonderous.

I guess the thing im trying to get across is that whislt many if not all of us enjoy and appreciate the fictional star wars universe - and yes there is a section of the forum devoted to it - it is not the primary function of this temple - is the study of slow deaths and torture the primary goal of Christianity ?

The study of martial arts is to be encouraged but in a safe manner and environment - especially where minors are concerned - and especially given the $$$ obsessed world (sueing culture) we live in today.

Train with sabers, brooms, rolled up magazines whatever - but keep safety paramount.

But as ive said before - isnt fighting always the last resort?

isnt thinking with a fist (or gun or nuke) one of the main problems with todays world?

MTFBWY - A

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 4 months ago #27796 by
thanks for the input.

anything i write on this site is my own opinion and at best a \"suggestion\". i want to use this as a resource of education and understanding. i post things to learn from others. i want to understand peoples' vision of the jedi and its practice.

also, i want to be able to simply post questions, concerns or ideas. when i post about lightsabers - no where did i state that this is dogma, canon or required. i simply wanted to see if anyone else thought about the real world application of the jedi arts - in a real world setting, an earth based reality. these are concepts that are important to me and i want to expand on my ideas via knowledge from this site.

the martial path is my path to enlightenment and understanding. for me a healthy holistic self includes the body and mind as one - together in motion - with a lightsaber, lol.

concerning your other points:
But as ive said before - isnt fighting always the last resort?

isnt thinking with a fist (or gun or nuke) one of the main problems with todays world?

a lion without claws can not hunt or protect itself.
for evil to triumph, the good need do nothing.
silence is acceptance.
apathy kills.

there are some thoughts or statements concerning martial practice. as in FORM ZERO, the person simply uses their presence to stop conflict and promote communication. a practitioner of FORM ZERO is generally a complete bad ass at martial arts. they have the physical ability to back up their presence. the other person/beings sensing this - choice to talk knowing that if they get into a fight - it will end badly.

we are physical beings. we must accept the limitations and \"rules\" governing this reality. yes, i would love to simply site on a mountain top eating rays of sunshine and breathing fresh cool air contemplating the universe. though i can do it, its not realistic. even jesus had to come back from the desert. every ascetic returns from the wilderness to teach.

yes - fighting should be the last resort. but it is still part of the negotiation for a lot of people. only by knowing how to fight can one avoid the fight. a police officer having a gun is enough to cause people to rethink their ideas.

and sparring and training is a lot of fun. i do this because i enjoy it. it fitness, healthy and pleasurable.

i find a lot of comfort in knowing who has my back and who does not. training together with people really does create long lasting bonds. its action. its valor. its words backed up.

if everyone in the world was willing to \"fight\" in what ever way they could/can, there would be a lot more \"peace\" in the world.

an armed society is a polite society - because anyone a person choice to mess with would or could be a threat.

the sith exist because people let them.

unfortunately, we are not beings of pure energy. therefore we must live on a planet ruled by the survival of the fitests. and those that can fight - generally do.

its a fact of life that i would like to make sure is dealt with honorably and with integrity. and that happens here - with a code and philosophies guiding the hand.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi