Compassion and respect for all living things

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 2 months ago #22123 by
I was talking to a professor of Animal Behavior yesterday and our conversation really touched me in a profound way.

I asked her whether scientists reuse the lab animals after experiment of animal behavior. Her answer unfortunately was no. Even though the answer made perfect sense to me and I was expecting it I was still somewhat shocked. Deep inside, I feel sorry for those animals. In my opinion, unlike pharmaceutical testing, behavioral experiment seldom makes the animals unhealthy. I feel sorry for those animals who have to die because they are of no use to scientists any more.

Then my professor told me even though every one of us may say we honor animal rights and respect them, we are all humans of inconsistencies. We might love our pets but kill bugs in our house. We might oppose animal testing using dogs but be okay with using fruit flies. We might choose to use only cosmetics that come from companies that do not do animal testing. But little do we know that those ingredients were once upon a time all been tested on animals. And I thought of what my Buddhist friend told me, “Even when you are only eating a lettuce, you are killing a vegetable.”

This is not to say we should all become fruitarians and live in guilt for the rest of our lives, though I give my deepest respect to those who are fruitarians. I think as we live our lives as human beings, we should always keep in mind that our lives depend on so many other living things on this planet. No matter how powerful we are and what technology we possess, some of what we enjoy is always at the cost of the lives of other living things. We should always be thankful for those lives of animals and plants. They deserve our compassion and respect.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 2 months ago #22125 by
I'll start with posting up a part of a song that I like most.

\"Hey man of science with your perfect rules of measure,
Can you improve this place with the data that you gather?\"

It is to bad that the weak must become tools for the strong.It's the way of life but not the way of the Force.We always have a choice.

As for what your friend told you i can only say that tho that is true its not as bad as you think.Weeds kill other plants and over planting can \"kill\" the soil and crate a barren desert like the fertile crescent.Its a man made Desert yes but plants have the potential to cause harm too.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 9 months ago #24441 by
I was born with hip dysplasia meaning my hips (both sides) were not meant for walking, the upper leg bone would not hold properly in the socket of the hip. I got surgery when I was a babe and for the longest time the scars (quite long and visible) bothered me. Then my Mom said, without them, you would walk in pain or even not at all and frankly, getting older, I don't mind the anymore, they are a part of me. Then, by chance, years ago, I was sitting in on a lesson at the university with a friend about DNA problems. They came to speak of my problem and the professor mentioned that the surgery that has been used for some time (it must have been perfected not long before I got mine) was perfected on apes. I was baffled. I was sorry. But I am also glad. I have seen people with my problem that did not have my advantage and walking for them is painful, yet, here I am, walking, running, hiking, dancing, swimming, you name it.

Sometimes, one is thrown into a conflict without having had a chance to escape in the first place. BUT had my daughter been born with this problem and had surgery (now there are other methods) been the ONLY solution, I will thank the apes in my prayers, but I would go forward with the surgery...

I don't know what happened to the apes, I fervently hope that they lived their life out somewhere. Most likely a vain hope...

By the way, I am a trap and release person, trap the spider, etc. in a cup, use a piece of paper, release in the backyard. I am trying my darndes to teach my son, who unfortunately likes to stomp on little bugs. I even got the movie Bugs (to humanize the bugs) but so far, no effect. Will need to watch again and again.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 9 months ago #24448 by
I can understand your views on 'the apes' - like many other if not all medical procedures and medicines/vaccines etc they have all been tested on animals.

Now whether or not one agrees with it or not or fall in-between - one thing no one reading this post can deny is that they are alive today due to animal research testing. if you have taken a medicine for anything, been injected with anything be it vaccine or drug etc - it HAS been tested on many mnay animals. I think this is ok as long as the animals are cared for as best as they can - my main objection is testing of cosmetics - its known that all the ingredients in cosmetics these days have already been thoroughly tested and there is no need to continue - i feel sorry for those rabbit wearing lipstick and mascara - youd think the scientist would use the correct shades for bunnies skin colour :D

As for scars - in my mind they are no better or worse than piercings or tattoos - ive got plenty of my own (scars) and have more to follow - didnt someone once say 'be proud - they are your personal medals of honour' each has a story.

As for your son - perhaps its something time will fix - when he's older you may well get him to understand - I got my nephew to quit bug zapping (you know - ants n magnifying glasses) when I said to him 'next time i find you in the house - i'll blast you with a laser or beat you - lets see how you like it'

I admit I used to go fishing for 'sport' but quit when i started keeping tropical fish - if i do fish now - i fish for food and eat what I catch and I have small self imposed bag limits of 3 fish - and I kill instantly and humanely.

Problem with small boys and yes it is boys - I believe they are born with the hunter instinct - its like trying to stop a cat from hunting mice.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 9 months ago #24479 by Jon
Heal The World

There's A Place In Your Heart
And I Know That It Is Love
And This Place CouldBe Much Brighter Than Tomorrow

And If You Really Try
You'll Find There's No Need To Cry
In This Place You'll Feel There's No Hurt Or Sorrow

There Are Ways To Get There
If You Care Enough For The Living
Make A Little Space Make A Better Place...

Heal The World
Make It A Better Place
For You And For Me
And The Entire Human Race
There Are People Dying
Make A Better Place
For You And For Me

If You Want To Know Why There's A Love
ThatCannot Lie
Love Is StrongIt Only Cares For Joyful Giving
If We Try We Shall See In This Bliss We Cannot Feel
Fear Or Dread
We Stop Existing And Start Living
Then It Feels That Always
Love's Enough For Us Growing
So Make A Better World
Make A Better World...

Heal The World
Make It A Better Place
For You And For Me
And The Entire Human Race
There Are People Dying
Make A Better Place For You And For Me

And The Dream We Were Conceived In Will Reveal A Joyful Face
And The World WeOnce Believed In Will Shine Again In Grace
Then Why Do We Keep Strangling LifeWound This EarthCrucify Its Soul
Though It's Plain To SeeThis World Is Heavenly
Be God's Glow

We Could Fly So High
Let Our Spirits Never Die
In My Heart I Feel You Are All My Brothers
Create A World With No Fear
Together We'll Cry Happy Tears
See The Nations Turn Their SwordsInto Plowshares

We Could Really Get There
If You Cared Enough For The Living
Make A Little Space
To Make A Better Place...

Heal The World
Make It A Better Place
For You And For Me And The Entire Human Race
There Are People Dying
If You Care EnoughFor The Living
Make A Better Place For You And For Me
There Are People Dying If You Care Enough For The Living
Make A Better Place
For You And For Me
You And For Me

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi