Teen who wants to wear anti-gay T-shirt takes batt

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #593 by
also i didnt see any one mock her for it. yes for her to wear that shirt shows she is not afrid of what she feels, but like i said is she doing this because she would like to be proud of the fact that she is straight or is she just looking for a fight. besides the reason that we have black history month gay pride latino history day, is because we as a society see the straight white male as a higher end. its sad it really is but politics and poeples view black white hispanic asian as different. not equall. they shouldnt have told her to put away the shirt because it would affend people, were does her right to be affended go. if the fact people wear gay pride shirts affends people then as to be equal they should have to take them off. but i also agree we as jedi should not take sides but hope that people over the years will grow more equally together.
may the force be with all of you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #598 by
Allow Br. John to issue the disclaimer that as long as our members believe in the Internet and know how to use it; The Temple is easy on other views.;)

Irrespective of WHY one is straight or gay it's a 90% / 10% balance even with our animal friends and pets and not likely to change no matter what anyone thinks.

What are other 'way-o-life' views that folks feel the need to advertise?

sex
drinking
self gratification
illicit substances
incest
racial pride
age pride ... ?

Br. John

Serric wrote:

I'm gathering from the assortment of posts that no one feels that she is making a point that being gay is a choice and that the people that feel that they are being discriminated on also have the choice to stop the behavior. With the amount of responses to this topic, I'm surprised that no one has chosen to tackle the issue from that point of view. I know this temple is represented by various \"religious\" and otherwise ideals, but why has no one chosen to bring this topic to light? From my (and I will admit, limited) study of different religions, most have an opinion when it comes to the homosexual lifestyle and most view it as a negative. I am not here to put anyone down, but in our learning should we not address all aspects? This girl is valiant and daring and obviously not afraid of her morals. So if San Francisco can have a parade celebrating the \"alternative lifestyle\", why can't she speak up for the other side?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #601 by
There's gay animals?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #637 by
age pride? how do you mean? like respect for elders? just wondering.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #693 by
Greetings,

Ultimately, she should have the choice to wear the shirt. She is simply expressing and publishing her feelings on the topic. Many people get so upset when they see something that they feel breeds hatred and contempt for others. By trying to force your thoughts on them, you often times solidfy their feelings of hatred. If you simply ignored it, then I feel the perceived importance of the message is lost.

Although I would also like to point out what I do see an an injustice here. Gay pride can have a march and publicly display what they feel is right, but one girl cannot wear a shirt of what she feels. This is a double standard. Just like Imus and the Rutger's team issue that is going on. While his remarks are uncothe, and defamatory, so are Eminems, Snoops Doggs, and the Three 6 Mafia who won an Oscar for Pimping aint easy. Why was the National Organization of Women (NOW), Sharpton and Jesse Jackson not protesting the Academy awards for this denegration of women. They not only say deragatory remarks towards women but use the \"N\" word on a regular basis. If thoughts and words are wrong, they must be equally wrong for all or injustice will never be extinguished.

Just my thoughts. As Jedi, we must rise above the popular Politically correct position and draw attention to the true issues.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 6 days ago #695 by
but see the problem with that is if a white person goes up to a black person and uses the n word its not ok but if a black person does it its fine. the old meaning for the n word is ignorent person, back in the old days even white people were called that. so in the general black public that word is ok when its same race. the girl with the t shirt should have went to the school first and got permission and then went that rought. at my old school to wear a gay pride shirt black pride shirt and whatever else you had to get the permission. the day before wearing it you had to tell them what it said and the true meaning behind it. people will hate that is the way of life people will be mean as well but the way to stop the wrong doing is uniforms in school then you cant get mad at what any one is wearing. and if the school is looking out for her own well being then they should also look out for the other students who wear gay pride shirts to.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 6 days ago #711 by
I believe the name of the song was \"It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp.\"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 6 days ago #718 by
Sorry,

I was not sure of the song or the name of the band for that matter. I had to look their name up to get it right. Regardless, the issue is the same. Double standard.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi