• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 3 months ago #28661 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Expectation
attachment is easy to deal with, you just have to understand and accept that nothing lasts forever...everything in existence has a shelf life then must be tossed once expired...expectation is a bit more of a challenge, for me i simply view expectations as intangible...hopes based on dreams...if you know for certain that something is going to happen then it isn't an expectation since it's based on a perception from gathered information....if you \"hope\" for something to happen it becomes an expectation and can thus lead to dissappointment when it doesn't happen....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28662 by
Replied by on topic Re:Expectation
There are various versions of past, now, future

One (actually quite good one) is in the 2nd Terminator movie - along the lines of 'the future is not set, the future is what we make it'

The best trio one is (campbell I think) the past is behind us - the future is unknown and perhaps meant to be that way and the present is just that - a present (as in gift) but as each moment passes, the last one becomes the past and next is a new gift, so treat it that way - no point in looking too far ahead as our current present may be our last.

The problem with 'expectations' is often, humans expect too much, either of themselves or of others (or outside forces/events) - there comes even bigger problems when expectations are the result of intricate plans - and we all know what they say about the best laid plans ...

There is nothing wrong with dreams and hopes or even setting goals - as long as they are realist and achievable - better to set the bar low and clear it with ease than to set it too high and fail every time.

MTFBWY - A

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28665 by
hmmm..deifinitely some food for thought.it seems to me then the goal in this case would be to have goals and objectives to work toward but to have no attachments to the end result thus eliminating any expectations of how it would work out.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 3 months ago #28670 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Expectation
so true about the best laid plans...that's why i rarely ever plan things out...unpredictable spontaniety is a good thing...sometimes...other times its good to have a basic plan with plenty of flexability..

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28692 by
jarin wrote:

hmmm..deifinitely some food for thought.it seems to me then the goal in this case would be to have goals and objectives to work toward but to have no attachments to the end result thus eliminating any expectations of how it would work out.

This doesnt necessarily mean that failures have to be accepted as 'fate' or whatever - its good to be dissapointed about a failed task etc but like with many things - a reasonable balance is the key

Obsession over something is UNHEALTHY - a fine line thats hard to explain but we all know when we come across it - its personal to each of us

MTFBWY - A

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi