Expectation

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 2 weeks ago #1413 by
Expectation was created by
To me the greatest source of disappointment in when we expect something to be a certain way or happen a certain way. We allow ourselves only to see that outcome, and as we know, life more often then not will not conform wholly to our vision. In learning to lose expectation we then do what is necessary to achieve our goal without ascribing any limitations or expecting it to be a certain way. This is not to say that you shouldn't have goals or a vision for the future, but the very act of expecting things to be a certain way will not only limit that vision, but will also lead to us not seeing all the things around us that are already happening to our benefit.

In relation to expectation and goals, and the relationship between expectation and effort, learning to let go can be of great assistance. No big effort is needed to attain our goals. Only small effort, and the smaller the better. And if you work effortlessly it is better still. The more you try, the harder it is to attain. Your very effort, your tension, your occupiedness, your longing, your expectation, becomes the barrier. But with a very small effort, an effortless effort as they call it in Zen-doing as if not doing-all is possible. The more you are mad after it, the less it is possible.

Remember Yoda. \"Do or do not, there is no try\" Think about that for a moment. When we try we give ourselves the possibility of failure. Even though we think positive, we still have belief that it can fail, or else why try when you can just do. If you are going to DO something, then do it. If you fall, get back up. Do not stop because it is already done. You already have it. If you wish to become something, first unlearn, then see clearly in your mind that which you wish to become, then do. Never let the doubt enter your mind. there is no try, only do. If we can learn to unlearn our minds, let go of all expectations, and just DO, just BECOME, then our possibilities are endless.

The perception of effort is directly tied to the amount of effort we have pre-ascribed to a given action or goal. The amount of effort we EXPECT to exert. If we say to ourselves \"This will require great effort\" Then it will. But if we say to ourselves the opposite then little to know effort is needed. It's in expecting the effort that the effort is required. Keep in mind that by the very nature of the universe something is bound to happen. So whether you believe a task to be effortful or effortless is more of a mental attitude.

Let's look at it like this. A man walks up through a hallway and sees three doors in front of him. He hopes feverently that the left door will open. He focuses his mind on it and plans his steps setting him through the left door. While he's focused only on the left door, the middle and right door open and close and the left door never opens. Because we are observing with no emotional bias we can see that while the left door may not have opened, two others did. It's the emotional investment the man had in his expectations that did not allow him to see what was right before his eyes. His expectation did not allow him to see other paths, only the one he had already set his mind on. This is why in Jediism we are taught to not be attached to any one thing, thought, emotion, or course of action. If change is the nature of the universe then our paths must be allowed to change with it.

Yours in the mystery,
Michael

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28645 by
Replied by on topic Re:Expectation
wow..another nugget of wisdom found while pouring through the forums. I know that in my own life everytime I had an expectation I was disappointed...either it didn't happpen at all or it did and it wasn't what i truly wanted. I have been trying to live without any expectations...this is very difficult to do as it seems to be human nature to have expectations and attachments.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 3 months ago #28646 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Expectation
it's kind of odd....i really don't expect anything. things come and go as they will...the french have an expression for it...que sera, sera...it means whatever will be, will be...having no expectations or attachments sometimes causes me problems with answering questions my professors ask...such as on the first day of class most ask us to write down what we expect to learn....i never know how to answer other then whatever i learn i learn, whatever i don't i don't....however by having little to no expectations i have much less to frustrate me...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28647 by
wow, I'll have to admit that this really points out my weakness, I wish I could just shed all attachment, In a way I've shed the emotional attachment with this world and losing friends and family, but I still can't seem to get past my attachments with what I expect of myself and my life, I do tend to go with the flow of life, but stuff like my son and certain aspects of life have me clinging to them. If I could just decide that everything is okay for everyone else and I need to continue on my path, I believe that another mountain would be climbed.

Thanks for the wisdom, I think I will meditate on the paths I might be blind to after work

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28649 by
It reminds me of a principle I have called adaptability. If things work as planned, great; if not, I learn to adapt to the situation I find myself in.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 3 months ago #28650 by RyuJin
don't think of it as a weakness but as a strength you haven't fully developed yet

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28652 by
Thought leads to belief; belief leads to feeling; feeling leads to action; and action leads to thought.

Each time we decide to take the next step on that track, we reinforce what we think and believe, and we get one step closer to what we are working toward.

If people simply think about what is needed and continually take the next step toward it, all needs are met. Begin with the end in mind, not the journey. The journey should be the discovery of the path, as this is how life stays rewarding. If we know everything ahead of time, of what worth is having the freedom to choose?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 3 months ago #28655 by RyuJin
sometimes it really does suck to know what's going to happen beforehand...it take the fun of experience out...other times it can save a life or time....i try to not glimpse ahead unless i'm driving for obvious reasons...

Quotes:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
14 years 3 months ago #28657 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Expectation
If I remember my lessons correctly, Alan Watts said something like,\"Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow doesn't exsist, there is only now.\"

My way to say it is,\"Remember Yesterday, Hope for Tomorrow, But Live in Today.\"

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 3 months ago #28660 by
wow..some great responses to my comment..thank you all as i learn alot from people's replies. What are some of the methods you all use to remove the attachments and expectations when you do find them within yourselves? I personally have a hard time doing so as far as my own actions however I find it much easier when other people are involved as I constantly have to remind myself that their actions and choices are theirs. While it seems simple,it is by no means easy to do but it seems to work for me most of the time.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi