Why I stopped and why I probably will not continue

More
4 years 3 months ago #348268 by Brick
I think your critique is pretty spot on Corvan.

I share your dislike of the role play elements. I'm not that fussed about the quotes though.

I also think Proteus has a solid point, with regards to learning what we do/don't care about/want etc.

I wish you all the best.

MTFBWY

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 3 months ago #348286 by ren
Why see it as criticism?

Theres nothing wrong with his views on the Force, and its completely in line with what we say it is.

Not needing rank is something i agree with. Councillor is my office among others, my rank is member and i have no interest in changing that, here or elsewhere. Its no surprise others feel the same way.

I agree with his opinion on the star wars references, but its not my business to prevent others from making those references.

The IP is a difficult question. I had started work on a revised one years back which went that direction but I resigned before completing it, and the 'lesson 0' people turned up with ugly fixes instead. The IP however has to be accessible and informative to people with little to no experience in our variety of philosophy. A 'write a paper, find your own sources' IP does not cut it.

All I see is someone who realises they do not need a website or place within an order to be Jedi, which is absolutely correct.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #348287 by
i agree with most of what has been stated here, in this thread.
and your last sentence, ren, is the best of them all.
having said that, i do take exception with your assertion that a" "write a paper, find your own sources" does not cut it.""
i believe that it does in fact cut it.
else, one is just regurgitating what is fed to them, instead of being forced to find their own sources as well as their own voice. which really, isnt this what its all about?
follow YOUR path, and to be able to do that, one needs to not be indoctrinated.
anyway, i agree with most that i have seen here. MOST.
this includes you, councillor.
i shall begin IP soon myself. with dread actually, for the reasons i just stated.
it makes me feel caged. i would love to write my own papers with my own sources.
again, as i babble on, it is made clear that i can merely write that i do not like the whole method - i am free to read pages, tear them out of the book, or write my own.
and its clearly stated that it is not graded. its just to see what is going on in our minds.
i have no objection to that.
anyway...my best to you and to all.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #348298 by Skryym
Ghosty,

The IP is what you make of it. While there is structure to the lessons, you are free to bring in your own sources - I would say you are encouraged to. In fact, some of the later parts essentially require you to search outside the temple for answers.

Some people write long and eloquent reflection essays with plenty of sources. Others regurgitate what is in front of them. While I have an obvious bias towards the former, people are ultimately free to complete the IP in the way that best fits their learning style.

So if you start the IP soon, please don’t do so with dread. It should be a fun time to explore religion and philosophy in your life. If you don’t jive with it, you are always free to respectfully quit as Corvan did.

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Skryym.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #348301 by
WHO CARES ABOUT QUITTERS

More
4 years 3 months ago #348304 by Carlos.Martinez3
I do - I used to be one. I still am.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Rex

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #348319 by Tellahane
One does not have to be at a or the temple in order to practice. There's plenty of other places, plenty of material online, plenty of books, plenty of ways to do it. I only have time to check in every few weeks I spend majority of my weeks between three ambulance services, though I'm starting to dial that back a bit now that more paramedics are starting to come out of classes and were are not in so much of a shortage as we used to be around where I am.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Tellahane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #348321 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: I do - I used to be one. I still am.

You are a quitter? As a pastor, on in a position of authority here, is that really an image you want to show?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #348322 by
Oh cigarettes? Lol

More
4 years 3 months ago #348329 by Skryym

Fyxe wrote:

You are a quitter? As a pastor, on in a position of authority here, is that really an image you want to show?

We’re all quitters in one form or another. Carlos is being honest and forthcoming about a human flaw that we all have in common. That is a leadership quality I would like to see in more people.

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi