Lack of Empathy, the Biggest Issue in the World?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344768 by
The biggest issue I see in this world right now, is a lack of empathy.
A lack of love and understanding for our fellow humans.

What is it gonna take for us to realize the reality of the situation, that we are one species, and all this strife and division, war and ideological debate, gets us nowhere.

Our very survival depends on us getting over our differences, yet our pride, arrogance, and moral cowardice prevents us from doing so.

I am only 20, so it is possible I am being naive. I don't know. I'm sick of seeing injustice and immorality everywhere I look.
Maybe this is just me seeing this.... Thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #344774 by OB1Shinobi
I think there are many problems which are made worse by peoples inability to empathize, certainly. A lot of the social/political hostility we’re seeing in the States, for example.

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #344779 by Adder
Depends on the context probably. Empathy is great if nothing counts except the connection between people. It's why emotional contagion is a group dynamic in cults and cliques... shared emotional experience creates bonds. But empathy isn't enough to solve problems beyond that, for its too easy to manipulate and obscure the extent of the relevant information in complexity.

So in that regard, the benefits of empathy seem to be its weakness depending on the context, but it's important to understand and have for sure! I'm not the best at it, I understand emotion in others, value it but don't mimic it... and seemingly don't need to experience emotion to understand it. That said I can experience the full range of emotion based on another, its just I tend not to, unless I let it, or can't stop it.

For example, I can experience a ton of emotion by having empathy when I step on an ant, or better yet crush it between my fingers slowly to watch it struggle as it dies.... for there is not much more disastrous for the little bugger, and evil for me to do it...then being on the receiving end of that - but empathy in that example doesn't do the ant any again good. The connection to the pain doesn't avoid it. It might have stopped it after it began and yes that has value sometimes, but it might not.

As I don't think empathy is required to understand and give weight to suffering. Understanding suffering means we can understand what causes it, and how best to avoid it in ourselves and importantly others. But while not having empathy as an avoidance measure to experiencing suffering within oneself might be common, the extending that to ignoring the suffering of others is probably in the realm of psychopathic :D

I think we instead need to be critical about our bias, critical about others bias, analyse the parameters of a problem and then understand how and why those bias might exist to determine intentions... and that is just to get the ground to safely experience empathy IMO. From there the real work is to heal wounds and create the best solutions possible in the most appropriate timeframe possible. What people need is awareness and knowledge to predict and avoid harm, and then toolkits to properly orientate resources to best resolve problems, rather then have a group hug as the ship sinks despite there be life rafts. Connection is vital, but what is it one is connecting to, why, and to what end... really!?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #344784 by
I agree with Knight Adder that it depends on context. Usually, when we say "empathy", we mean an ability to feel the other person's emotions as our own. But beeing able to feel the other person's suffering does not always mean having a desire to help.

I know several people who are much more empathetic than me, but use their ability not to help people, but to manipulate and to use people to achieve their egotistical goals.

And on the other hand, I am more of a logical type of person than empathetic, so I can't feel the same emotions that people around me have. I can stay calm, when I see someone suffering, I won't feel his pain as my own pain. But I can still recognize that he needs help, and I will do everything I can. Not because I suffer too, but because I won't leave someone in need. And I know several people of the same type as me - logical, but willing to help if someone needs their help.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by .

More
4 years 6 months ago #344855 by Cyan Sarden
I believe the biggest problem in the world is that the media is making us believe that everything is in complete disarray. This puts most human beings in a state of worry and panic. It‘s human instinct to switch into „every man (woman etc.) for himself“ mode as soon as we start fearing for our existence. If we want to get out of this constant fear of impending doom, the first step is to stop letting ourselves be influenced by others. Easier said than done - but being able to think for ourselves and serve as a model of positivity for others will allow us to focus on problems that don‘t only concern ourselves.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, ,

More
4 years 5 months ago #344857 by OB1Shinobi
Well, that opens a new question: why does the media do that?

People are complicated.

More
4 years 5 months ago #344859 by Carlos.Martinez3

OB1Shinobi wrote: Well, that opens a new question: why does the media do that?

This is my opinion. We all have ours. This comes from some one who has removed them self’s from modern media. I don’t FB or tv or social media like most- I abstain, a lot. I get commercials and adds at restaurants and malls- when we go but at home is where we spend 90% of our time. Our demographic is a tad different.

Media does one thing only - solicit or ask for money.
Think about it - they make money. They sell time and demographic information. Any ... thing the media does... is mostly to make money, not entertain or inform. Those are secondary things. Blind greed is what our family calls commercials . Gimme gimme gimme!!! - as loud and creatively as possible.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

More
4 years 5 months ago #344865 by Carlos.Martinez3

CaesarEJW wrote: The biggest issue I see in this world right now, is a lack of empathy.
A lack of love and understanding for our fellow humans.

What is it gonna take for us to realize the reality of the situation, that we are one species, and all this strife and division, war and ideological debate, gets us nowhere.

Our very survival depends on us getting over our differences, yet our pride, arrogance, and moral cowardice prevents us from doing so.

I am only 20, so it is possible I am being naive. I don't know. I'm sick of seeing injustice and immorality everywhere I look.
Maybe this is just me seeing this.... Thoughts?

Good stuff
It’s a cruel reality to say this but of all the ill we see... of all the things off- that we notice- they may be there without us.

With or without me some things will happen.

I have my vices and I feel the pain and horror I did when I see others do the exact thing. That’s natural. Means ya care. Some fights are swinging at shadows. Some struggles are wresting with NOT flesh and blood, as the old saying goes.
When I see in my world a lack ... I’ve made a choice to fill it with me.
The Code:
Emotion, yet Peace.
Ignorance, yet Knowledge.
Passion, yet Serenity
Chaos, yet Harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

When I need it I apply.
I felt the same way at one time. I still do. For me I have actually burned myself out to the point of not caring a few times. I didn’t want to be there. I changed my focus.
Now, what I see is where I look. Do I look for every single little thing I used to, “not no mores.“
What a mess I said. Then there came a time when I began to see different things, big time. I began to apply things I was studying like the Code. I said yes , now it was the how. How did I want to change how I saw things and how I felt.
My family and me
We serve people during holidays at food banks and such. We give out time and effort. We give ONE day worth of food to people on the road asking. I teach my family to be different. I act and think different. What makes change? Often choice. Choice of what? Action. Wanna change the world- change your view and you will solely be responsible for - plus’s one! With that start... who knows what actual ripple you may cause... look at what some one started in my and now the opportunity to commit and act and influence others to do the same.

Sometimes , some one has to start the change. Wouldn’t it be cool if change began with us as Jeddist. It could.... it can and in many places - it does. Wanna join in? Smiley face ! May the Force find you every where you seek it - and maybe in a few places your not lol! Hope to hear more from ya!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344870 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: What a mess I said. Then there came a time when I began to see different things, big time. I began to apply things I was studying like the Code. I said yes , now it was the how. How did I want to change how I saw things and how I felt.
My family and me
We serve people during holidays at food banks and such. We give out time and effort. We give ONE day worth of food to people on the road asking. I teach my family to be different. I act and think different. What makes change? Often choice. Choice of what? Action. Wanna change the world- change your view and you will solely be responsible for - plus’s one! With that start... who knows what actual ripple you may cause... look at what some one started in my and now the opportunity to commit and act and influence others to do the same.

Sometimes , some one has to start the change. Wouldn’t it be cool if change began with us as Jeddist. It could.... it can and in many places - it does.

I have often heard from those older and wiser than myself, that true change starts on the small scale, often from within, and often locally. It starts from a few good choices, a few good deeds, and then this has somewhat of a domino effect, influencing those around the influencer to be better themselves. True change starts with yourself; cleaning up your own backyard, becoming the best possible version of yourself, and subsequently inspiring others by your example. I believe what you are saying is more than true, from both intuition, and personal experience.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi