More
4 years 5 months ago #344806 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic MBTI Type?
So how does this help you?
I never really got that from your post

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344812 by
Replied by on topic MBTI Type?
It gives you potential insight into how your mind MAY work.
It's not a definite answer, obviously (that takes meditation, soul-searching, and lots of pondering), but for someone like me, a blurry outline is better than grasping in the dark.

Not to mention, when you're a indecisive, inconsistent, all-around unhealthy headcase like I am, any insight into who, what, or why you may be, really does help a ton.

Long story short, because of a kinda really crappy childhood, I have crippling social anxiety, mixed with depression out the butt, sprinkled with an eating disorder, and garnished with a tendency towards reclusive and slightly delusional behavior.

Living in an unhealthy manner and being out of touch with reality most of your life doesn't give one any boons in the direction of self-growth, let alone self-knowledge.

I had to start from square one, in terms of simply figuring myself out, so I turned to psychology to assist me on my journey of self-discovery and self-healing.
And that is how this helps me.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #344816 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic MBTI Type?
I've been "administered" one of these once, and done the odd one during particularly long and boring waits at doctors offices..

and (just to keep Ob1 and Gist on side) I find them mostly asinine.

I generally get something like ISTP, or ISTJ, sometimes INTJ

Broadly it would seem I self-report as introverted, clever, and both inventive and analytic.

HOWEVER, I have it on (multiple authorities) that I am brash, unpredictable, disorganised, and possibly cruel - I think the term "narcissistic sociopath" has been used.

On the other other hand, I've been told I am brash, boring as flat dirt, incapable of fun if it's not planned with a 15 page powerpoint presentation and a minimum of two attached spreadsheets and deeply kind.

Brash being a common thread in how other people report me, vs how I see myself as "somewhat retiring"

and all other reports being so consistently inconsistent as to be invalid as data other than "context and circumstance probably means a whole lot more than 15 questions you answered online"

BUT THAT WAS NOT MY ORIGINAL POINT

what I WAS going to ask was "What's more important: How you see yourself, or how others see you" ?

I don't mean in a "well you do you, live your best life, haters gunna hate" sort of way, but in a more philosophical way of what determines reality (edgelord Sith be like "whatever, I'm using my powers as I see fit" - well numbnuts, if your powers include influencing people, you might wanna cultivate a reality in which people wanna be influenced by you - and same goes for the "whitelighters" in the room - if you wanna make the world a better place, the world has to give the slightest damn about you as a starting point, otherwise you're just someone who uses the recycling bins correctly, and pat-on-the-back for you. Atta-boy.)

FUN GAME: This topic comes up a fair bit (here, and everywhere else on the internet....) if you get bored, search MBTI on this site, dig up the old threads and

A. Read them, for laughs
B. See what I've written before, and if it consistent with what I wrote today, or if my story has changed wildly - honestly, I don't know, but I'd be fascinated to know if I am
1) Flat out lying/making stuff up when I reply. or
2) changing as I get older and grumpier, which would further suggest a "personality test" as an anchor for your "character" is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Rex

More
4 years 5 months ago #344823 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic MBTI Type?

CaesarEJW wrote: Not to mention, when you're a indecisive, inconsistent, all-around unhealthy headcase like I am,

I understand this tendency for self deprecation is partly a defense mechanism, and partly a bad habit from your childhood traumas, and you may think it is harmless because it hurts no one, but it might be in your interest to try out practicing more kindness towards yourself in how you speak to yourself internally. You are also deserving of your compassion.

I mention this because I used to do the same when I was a depressed teenager, and unaware of my own awesomeness, and changing the way I spoke to myself revolutionized my self image.

Embrace your awesomeness. Because you are amazing. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi