Is the Dark Side Stronger?

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #343056 by Rosalyn J
In listening to one of the Star Wars Legends books, at a particular point I pondered the same question Luke asked Yoda. 'Is the dark side of the Force stronger?' It's less obvious than a yes/no, so I'm hoping for some good discussion

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #343059 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Is the Dark Side Stronger?
I think it is interesting to look at the qualities of both, I do not think they are either stronger than one another or weaker. They just apply differently. For Example:

Darkside dominance, Light side guidance
Darkside using emotion to succeed, Lightside using the logic between the emotions
Darkside use others weaknesses, Lightside uses others strengths

There is a lot more here but I am hoping this discussion really takes off. These tend to be very tiny differences when put in action. But the effects tend to be bigger or small with side.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Kobos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, ZealotX

More
4 years 6 months ago #343060 by steamboat28
In the fiction, the Dark Side relies on destructive emotions that only really work well in the short term. The Light Side relies on less destructive emotions that are typically longer-lasting if cultivated.

Therefore, while the depth of passion required for proper Dark Side use makes it temporarily more powerful, it is not so sustained as a properly-trained Light Side user wielding the same energies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, OB1Shinobi, Kobos

More
4 years 6 months ago #343061 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Is the Dark Side Stronger?
I dont actually believe the force is either light or dark.
I think that the intent comes from the individual. What wolf we feed is up to us, as complicated illogical humans I find we tend to walk a balance between, best intentions (light) or worse (dark)
Its complicated by consequences of actions taken when we think that from one perspective we could be seen as taking a light action but from another the consequences of that action could be seen as dark.
Neither to me is stronger only what we choose to put into our lives.

Some of what could be seen as strong dark actions or strong light actions could lead to the oppisite outcome.
So we walk a balance and try to choose wisely
Aware of our actions and consequences of those as much as possible.
Sometimes meditating on before we step.

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, OB1Shinobi, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343063 by
Replied by on topic Is the Dark Side Stronger?
Depends on what you think the Dark Side is..

Passion isn't inherently evil or dark. Even emotions like anger can be justified in some aspects. I personally see passion as maybe the "feminine" side of The Force..

I believe that the Dark Side is something separate from The Force. I think it's an absence of The Force itself.. Like in the real world where a shadow is just an absence of light..

I wouldn't say it is stronger or weaker. Just completely different in nature..

More
4 years 6 months ago #343064 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Is the Dark Side Stronger?
Some will ask "Which martial art is the best?"
They will create matches between two different styles to try to demonstrate which is stronger over another. They find very inconsistent results.
But many who genuinely understand martial arts will say "It is not the style, it is the individual and their own personal understanding of themselves and cultivation of the discipline that determines how effective any one is."

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos,

More
4 years 6 months ago #343075 by Carlos.Martinez3
There is a fighter I know. I can’t say his name in public. That’s ok. Call him Billy. Billy does Tai Chi. I’ve fought Billy when we drank together and over tea... we’ve tussled in the street and in the yard and on the mat in a gym. His application of Tai Chi and Jeet Kune Do -schools me every time. I can’t touch him. Can’t grab him. Forget about punching him... I can’t even put my hands on him - he floats- fast.
Each of us have a way about us. Our swag. Our lean. Our character holds a sword a certain way. How we walk or how we run.
How others do it seemed so wonderful some days. The dark side.
There is a easy label - the dark side. It claims no specific practice and allows us to define what in our life we label as dark and light. Every dark side to things is different from what and how we see it as individuals . The best way I have found to use it is to use it as a application word ... stickers ... place it where u ... choose. Label it what you want. We have that right. Why not practice it.
Is it stronger ? I’ve seen planes fly the sky... boats swim the ocean... I’ve seen the human potential at its greatest and at its worst. Extreme on all spectrums and I have to say- for every master of light there is a master of dark. For every seed sower there is a reaper.
Which is stronger ? I’ve seen light bested... as well as dark.
What side do I choose - ahhh that a big Q there!

“ as a Jeddist - I’m as strong as i frequent.” Hope that helps a bit.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #343086 by
I see a lot of misunderstanding of the dark side here. It's not something found in a comic book like steam says, and it's not about dominance and emotion minus logic, it's also not an absence of light as in non existent. So in "light" (pun) of that, it's best that the OP first define what is actually meant when using the term "dark side"?

Beyond that I feel the dark side followers are much more logically based than light siders. This forum is proof enough of this. It is rife with claims of supernatural qualities and abilities. This is something you will not find on dark side sites that have any worth to them. Those things are quickly squashed in favor of actual tangable results in the real world. That's what the dark side is about. It is stronger because it is based in reality and not flights of fancy that one can never ultimately achieve. Self improvement is a lie. One never changed simply by pretending to be something they are not after reading a book. Change comes through hard truth and hard work towards goals that are tangibly capable of being accomplished. That is all.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by .

More
4 years 6 months ago #343087 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Is the Dark Side Stronger?

VixensVengeance wrote: Beyond that I feel the dark side followers are much more logically based than light siders. This forum is proof enough of this. It is rife with claims of supernatural qualities and abilities. This is something you will not find on dark side sites that have any worth to them. Those things are quickly squashed in favor of actual tangable results in the real world. That's what the dark side is about. It is stronger because it is based in reality and not flights of fancy that one can never ultimately achieve. Self improvement is a lie. One never changed simply by pretending to be something they are not after reading a book. Change comes through hard truth and hard work towards goals that are tangibly capable of being accomplished. That is all.

Firstly I'll start with a slight disclaimer: I don't believe supernatural qualities or abilities.

I agree that there are a lot of those claims here, but I disagree that's exclusive to the 'light' side. Pretty much every self described 'sith' I've had discussions with has claimed some sort of supernatural ability. Now, they might have been trolling, but I think it unlikely in every case.

I also like to think I'm pretty reasonable, objective, and a lover of truth and facts. But I very much consider myself a Jedi.

The only thing I can think of that may support your argument, and is that 'Sith' tend to care less about people's 'feelings' and so are therefore more likely to demand to proof/logical reasoning to support arguments made.

I'd note that you contradict yourself somewhat when you say that 'self improvement is a lie' and then say that is in fact possible to change through hard work. Also, for clarity, we don't ask anyone here to pretend 'to be something they're not after reading a book'.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343088 by
There is just the force looked at from two different coins....sides
Both are strong yet just used differently yet neither is stronger i feel unless one lets it be so. i am a sith realist and for me it's seeking knowledge about myself thus freeing myself of chains. I find healing within and strength which adds more willpower to keep moving on. Sometimes it's hard to find it yet it's that determination and or drive that keeps me going. One is not better then the other for we all have dark and light within. thoughts shape reality and people see realty differently thing is in the end it's what you give power to. Light side i notice follows in a line and for me i could not do that for i felt a part of me died. When i started following sith aspect it helped me find passion and sometimes not always taking in what people tell me to do.
True power comes from within and is not sought out by others it's sought by you, i walk this path alone which makes me stronger. i do not have a mentor for it makes me stronger and one cannot teach it...one must find it within thyself. no one can do that for you and i appreciate both aspects.
Light is strong for it's bright raw and untamed believing in justice seeking harmony amidst chaos. Which contradicts us see we use emotion they ground themselves in their emotion. So in ways they can be wiser then us yet we are merciless so we use tactics that can be seen as dirty or unfair. They shine their light *snaps fingers and has an aha moment* we shine our darkness yet use it in similar ways. when someone gets knocked off balance it's my strength when i let emotion rule me it's their strength.
I started out as a Jedi and dove into my sith which did not call to me to understand things to make me a better jedi. a warrior of the force for in the end dark or light comes down to one thing. Just is the force, i hope you all are having a good day. mtfbwy

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi