Can't be a Jedi if you support Trump...?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347091 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: Ive seen many articles and videos of leftists fomenting the same kind of bigotry, resentment, mis-characterization of facts and generally faulty-logic that klansmen use to justify hating blacks and jews.

Yep - even speaking as a leftie, I would sadly have to agree with that. Some - and certainly not all - on the left have embraced the same form of fundamentalist certainty and rightness that characterizes klansmen and other brands of religious terrorists. It pains me to see it each time it appears, as an exhibition of that kind of behavior discredits those staunch progressives who are more thoughtful, and able to interact respectfully with others unlike themselves.

OB1Shinobi wrote: Naziism has absolutely no chance of gaining a foothold here, SJWism arguably does.

I think either could happen. There is a growing movement celebrating fascism now in numerous countries - Hungary, Poland, the Nordic countries, France, Brazil, Bolivia, and here in the U.S., among others. In terms of membership, it's no more fringe than the most rigid segment of the SJW community - and is arguably more demonstrative.

OB1Shinobi wrote: INDIVIDUAL Jedi should be free to decide for themselves the nature of their service in the world, and where/how they ought to invest their time and energy. I think this approach results in most of us being at least a little bit political while protecting our shared space from becoming either an all-out political battlefield or gradually shaped into a political echo-chamber.

I would wholeheartedly agree. I have strong feelings about our current political structure, but feel I have zero authority over any other Jedi's political views. That is as it should be.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347092 by OB1Shinobi

Omhu Cuspor wrote: Yep - even speaking as a leftie, I would sadly have to agree with that. Some - and certainly not all - on the left have embraced the same form of fundamentalist certainty and rightness that characterizes klansmen and other brands of religious terrorists. It pains me to see it each time it appears, as an exhibition of that kind of behavior discredits those staunch progressives who are more thoughtful, and able to interact respectfully with others unlike themselves.

OB1Shinobi wrote: Naziism has absolutely no chance of gaining a foothold here, SJWism arguably does.

I think either could happen.

Quick note: when i said “here” i meant TOTJO, specifically.

There is a growing movement celebrating fascism now in numerous countries - Hungary, Poland, the Nordic countries, France, Brazil, Bolivia, and here in the U.S., among others. In terms of membership, it's no more fringe than the most rigid segment of the SJW community - and is arguably more demonstrative.

Id like to see actual data on this. I keep hearing it and I'm sure its possible but i mostly only hear it from crazy jerkoffs like antifa and corporate owned, partisan hack networks like CNN. Id especially like the data to account for things like backlash against the anti-white sentiments of the left and unchecked immigration of second and third world muslims into modern, western countries. In fact, people assume the rise in fascism is all angry white men but (and I don't care if people call me an islamophobe) there are strains of islam that are total dog shit (and highly fascist) and which have no place in the civilized world. Imagine the westboro baptist church after 100 years of no legal consequences for their actions....now imagine 5000 wesboro fanatics moved into your city within the last 5 years. Unchecked immigration causes major resentments, most especially if the immigrating people hold vastly different beliefs and values compared to the native population. Not only do certain strands of far-right Islam count as contributing to the rise in fascism but backlash against immigration by the natives of countries with suddenly high influx of extreme islamists may be confused with fascist sentiment.

Terms are being thrown around frivolously. Whats the difference between fascism and nationalism? Is nationalism fundamentally racist or fundamentally civic? Is Trump a fascist? A nazi? Are Trump supporters nazis and/or fascists? Too many people are repeating what theyve heard without understanding what any of it even means.

Wikipedia on Islam terror attacks in Europe
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks

From the IRA to the Islamic State: the Evolving Terrorism Threat in Europe
https://csis-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/publication/190103_EuropeanTerrorism_interior.pdf

Sex Trafficking of infidels by ISL
https://www.india.com/news/world/sex-slavery-human-trafficking-key-for-isis-boko-haram-to-lure-militants-and-raise-funds-report-2525852/

What Islamo-fascist sex trafficking looks in the UK
https://gellerreport.com/2019/05/40-arrested-muslim-sex-trafficking-gang.html/

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Malicious

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347093 by Adder
Both the left and right are rotten at the edges. As bad as each other. I'd say a Jedi needs to be impartial; in accuracy, obviously truthful, fairly representative in being balanced in not ingratiating their bias by embellishing details to misrepresent the relevant realities. Not losing touch with reality to become a puppet of ideology basically! Not being discriminatory, not bullying... all the normal adult stuff :D in a world with less and less adults.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi, Rex, Malicious, Jake Nislan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347094 by

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Omhu Cuspor wrote:

I think either could happen.

Quick note: when i said “here” i meant TOTJO, specifically.

Ah, my apologies. I did not read the first appearance of that sentence in the way you intended. I agree.

There is a growing movement celebrating fascism now in numerous countries - Hungary, Poland, the Nordic countries, France, Brazil, Bolivia, and here in the U.S., among others. In terms of membership, it's no more fringe than the most rigid segment of the SJW community - and is arguably more demonstrative.

Id like to see actual data on this. I keep hearing it and I'm sure its possible but i mostly only hear it from crazy jerkoffs like antifa and corporate owned, partisan hack networks like CNN. ... Also, terms are being thrown around frivolously. Whats the difference between fascism and nationalism? Is nationalism fundamentally racist or fundamentally civic? Is Trump a fascist? A nazi? Are Trump supporters nazis and/or fascists? Too many people are repeating what theyve heard without understanding what any of it even means.

These are great challenges and questions. I expect a substantive response requires a fair amount of text, and may also steer us off the topic of this already-ponderous thread. If the assertion that fascism is on the rise can be shown to be valid, we will probably see that Trump is a symptom more than a cause of it and the dialog will evolve in a way that goes way beyond his impact on affairs. Do you think we should start a new thread? If so, I'd be happy to kick it off, or you can if you'd rather.

It'd also be helpful to know what kind of sources you'd consider legitimate. I don't disagree with your assessment of CNN and other major networks, but in other conversations like this I'm in the habit of turning to them as that's what most people I encounter seem to believe is credible. Particularly when it comes to the more tangible questions you've raised, it'd be helpful to understand what kind of sources you prefer.

Finally OB1Shinobi, thank you for the tone of this dialog, In the online world, it is a welcome experience to engage in a dialog where we can challenge one another's assumptions and still be respectful, and both be more concerned with getting at the truth than in proving ourselves right. I suppose that is a part of what Jediism is all about.

More
4 years 3 months ago #347097 by OB1Shinobi
Im interested in having the discussion but i am drained already, lol. No way i will open another topic, especially tonight. If you want to open it, please do. I have been pretty busy lately and i cant promise i will reply immediately but I will do my best and i definitely think its a conversation thats worth having.

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347098 by
Fair enough. I may have difficulty getting to this quickly as well, so actually appreciate the opportunity to go at this casual-like. :-)

More
4 years 3 months ago #347299 by Br. John

Malicious wrote: Okay Trump ran on building the wall which is being built even though most Democrats not all but most tried to stop this , tax reductions which he did , more jobs which he did , lowered the unimplemented numbers especially with minorities , crack down on illegal immigration which he did and a few other things that I can't remember . I'm sorry but to the best of my terrible memory I forgotten which candidates I was talking about that in the past went back or did not fulfill their campaign promises .https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.economist.com/united-states/2019/06/08/democratic-presidential-candidates-are-making-promises-they-cannot-deliver

Most of the campaign promises that most of the Democrats running for president in 2020 can't be fufilled like Medicare for all , free college , adding a bunch new justices for the supreme Court ect . First of just a lone the Medicare for all would have a big negative impact on the economy and would make healthcare itself terrible possibly way worse . What kind of doctor that makes a six figure income would go for a plan that makes them only have a five figure income and if they do go for it then the doctors won't have much of a ascentive do it right or good for the matter .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2017/01/28/why-president-trumps-border-wall-is-an-example-of-bad-leadership/#11f8d64d26cf

[T]he state with the longest Mexican border is Texas - and of its 38 congressional members (36 in Congress, 2 in the Senate and 25 Republican) not one (not one) supports building the wall. The district with the longest border (800 miles) is represented by Republican Will Hurd, who said "building a wall is the most expensive and least effective way to secure the border."

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
4 years 3 months ago #347328 by Cyan Sarden
Ignoring all the movie references here (which, in my book, have nothing to do with real-life Jediism): I think a Jedi knight should strive to have a balanced mind, should try to be a role-model to others, a mediator and a man of peace. Is any of this possible if one is involved in politics or radically chooses sides? I doubt it. Personally I know I wouldn't be able to. If others manage to achieve this: hats off!

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Jake Nislan

More
4 years 3 months ago #347332 by steamboat28

Jedi Believe wrote: In a society governed by laws grounded in reason and compassion, not in fear or prejudice.
In a society that does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or circumstances of birth such as gender, ethnicity and national origin.

The following user(s) said Thank You: , Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347333 by
I personally think that a jedi can have whatever political beliefs if it is not physically harming someone and causing violence generated from themselves. However if I had tp pick a certain area of political beliefs it would be independent and you vote on whoever gives the most political beliefs and actions for human rights. As we should think for ourselves and be more than just a party. However thats just my opinion.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi